Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Repeater or new router?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 27, 2010 2:07:27 PM

Heres my setup:
Router: D-link DIR-615 (not ddwrt compatible)
Wireless Adapter: D-Link DWA-125

The problem I am facing is that I am so far in my house, that I sometimes get a good signal, but most of the time I have a bad signal, making the speed of the internet on my computer really slow. I can not relocate my router unfortunately, and I am looking for the cheapest way to fix this problem.

More about : repeater router

Anonymous
December 27, 2010 4:00:54 PM

Before spending money do the following:

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
m
l

Best solution

December 27, 2010 5:21:07 PM

try a faster and better ranged adapter like the dwa 160,the dwa 125 is only a 150 max speed!
Related resources
December 27, 2010 5:23:40 PM

i had the dir 615 ,but now i have a dir 825 and i use dwa 160 adapters!faster and better coverage,but what fihart said may work,he really knows his stuff!
m
l
December 27, 2010 5:43:38 PM

Quote:
Before spending money do the following:

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

i really cant move the router much, and it is right on top of a cordless phone base unfortunately. It's pretty much above furniture level, and i have already experimented with channels.
m
l
Anonymous
December 27, 2010 8:11:30 PM

In your position and not wishing to waste money I would buy a secondhand wireless router essentially similar to your D-Link and run an ethernet* cable between the two to extend wireless coverage:

This Netgear article shows how.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1080

You may be wondering if this link could be made wirelessly -- only if the existing router and the new one both support WDS -- and are preferably of the same brand.
m
l
December 28, 2010 1:02:39 AM

Quote:
In your position and not wishing to waste money I would buy a secondhand wireless router essentially similar to your D-Link and run an ethernet* cable between the two to extend wireless coverage:

This Netgear article shows how.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1080

You may be wondering if this link could be made wirelessly -- only if the existing router and the new one both support WDS -- and are preferably of the same brand.

Unfortunately, if i made it wired, it would only increase the range by 2 ft. max and I just found out that my router does not support WDS.
m
l
January 27, 2011 2:03:04 PM

Best answer selected by xaffy.
m
l
February 28, 2012 1:47:19 AM

I realize that this is an old post but I've found myself in a similar situation. Well, not me but a family member and of course they ask the guy who can actually use a computer to fix this. Trouble is I'm not that great at this.

I looked at the newegg wireless adapter that you posted but I think that its sort of dated. I was looking at some similar ones on http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand... but I'm still not too sure if I want to go with a TP LINK.

Taking a look through the net brought me over http://www.wirelessrouterrepeater.com and they have a few decently reviewed ones, but I want to make sure that this will last over 5 years. So buying something cheap may not last that long, plus the D-link I have now which is similar (if not the same) as yours has always been reliable. Any ideas would be appreciated.
m
l
!