Hi Building A New Micro ATX Tower this is my first time

rpm0869

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Okay Well this is going to be my first build and im willing to learn and experience this. so here we go please let me know what do you guys think.
also i will only be downloading files and working on photoshop and web browsing.. no gaming for me
i just want something quick lmk if this will make me happy lol
Build:
1) logisys Exotic Ruby Red Front Panel Mini Tower ATX Case w/480W Power Supply for 37.99
yes its a cheap psu will upgrade eventually but for 37 cant go wrong
2) Mother Board deciding Between
ASRock Z68 PRO3-M LGA 1155
&
Intel BOXDH67CFB3 Socket H2 Desktop Motherboard
or what ever yall suggest under $120
3)Cpu Tell me What Do you think is better amd or intell i was thinking an i3-2100
4)hdd Western Digital WD7502AAEX Caviar Black 750GB 7200rpm
5)Sony BD-5300S-0B 12X Blu-Ray Writer
6)Windows 7
anything else i need please let me know thanks

For got ram - Crucial CT51264BC1339 4096MB PC10600 DDR3 might buy 2 if needed

striker410

Distinguished
Hmm.... For what you are looking for, I suggest going AMD with an Athlon x3 or x4. You won't be using it's full power anyway.

Tell you what, check out this thread right here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312806-31-bestconfigs-based-office There are many build there, and any of them would be awesome. Change it up to be MicroATX and you have a powerful system. There are many build there, and any of them would be awesome.

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Get a different PSU. And DO NOT get a PSU/Case combo unless it's a reputable brand. Yes, for $37 you can go wrong, you can go REALLY wrong!! DO NOT GET THIS CASE/PSU!!!

If you are set in going with Intel (my preference) an i5 may suit you better for extensive graphical editing. If you want cheaper power, an AMD will get you there at a better end cost. AMD Boards and Proc.s are cheaper, usually.

If you are downloading, get 2 drives. One as a boot drive (NOT SSD at this point in your build/computer career) such as a Western Digital 320GB drive [link]:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136770 [/link]
I know it seems expensive compared to your 750GB price BUT, for constant use, you will develop problems with your drive due to constant multiple read/writes. I've RMA'd many 500GB Boot drives due to this. Just don't have a large boot drive. Slow and bad idea.

Also, 1.5TB drives are pretty cheap, you may look at one of those instead for storage.

The BD-Burner looks nice, should suit you well for occasional-moderate use.

Windows 7 is a solid choice.

If you want use to list complete specs for a build, let us know. You are currently missing a power supply (The POS you mentioned doesn't count. I have had too many cheap PSU's kill machines [emachines it notorious for this] so, find a new one)
missing RAM, and for photoshop, you will want a graphics card. I'll look for a system on the forums and post it for you. I am asssuming a build in the $500 range on this, correct if I am off.

Good luck with your first build! Please, ask many questions along the way to learn more than you thought possible.

rpm0869

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
you sir are correct lol
okay this is what im probably leaning towards

MotherBoard- ASRock 880G PRO3 AM3 AMD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157243

cpu - AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103808&cm_re=phenom_x4-_-19-103-808-_-Product&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=1hhb8hff9606b

Ram- you think (1) 4gb Crucial CT51264BC1339 4096MB PC10600 DDR3
will do or 2?

hdd- as you said 320gb for boot
and a 500gb for download and such

psu which one you recommend for a good price

BR Drive Sony
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6942853&CatId=3634

and Case sill looking

Let Me Know how will this build run and Is it a strong build?

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I would get 2, 2GB sticks so that it runs in Dual Channel mode. Singe memory moduales usually run in single channel mode if they are the only memory in the computer.

Get a 1TB or bigger for other stuff. They are cheap enough now, might as well touble your space for slightly more cost. If 500 is all you can afford, it is a good start though. Better a small data drive then one drive for both OS AND data to share. BAD news. (That's why many forums members have multiple 1TB+ drives in their systems. MUCH more efficient and easier on the drive)

Really glad to see you are going for a specific boot drive. Nothing causes drive fragmentation and drive failure more than single, large drive boot and storage machines. Makes me shutter. I have lost too much time to this badness.

PSU:
Either of these are good. I have had GREAT luck with my TR2's (I have 2 of them)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023

But I also love my Corsair, I have hugh end Corsair PSU's but, these seem pretty decent:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

I'd get the corsair for $24.99 after rebates. Corsair rebates are pretty decent. I haven't had any not come back to me (I've purchased 30+ Corsair items with rebates) They take quite a while but, It's worth it for that great of deal.

Case:
I usually go with cheap Rosewill cases to start with. I've got a decent machine in a Thermaltake Soprano but, get a cheap case and save your money for better components.

This is a very nice build for a first timer. This build should be a nice and fast unit and will allow future expansion and repurposing when you rebuild down the road. I tend to stick with Intel so I can't speak for performance but, from the bit that I did see, you should have no problem keeping up with the mid-range PC's.

Hope it helps ya!

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I can't speak for the board. I'll admit that upfront but, both the board you are looking at and the one listed by mlCaouette look decent. I tend to stick with Asus and Gigabyte motherboards, occasionally an MSI , Foxconn or Intel but, I buy Asus or Gigabyte first. MSI boards tend to have a shorter life. As for ASRock, I can only go with what I heard and several years ago, when they had just gotten known in the market, they had several strings of boards that were just rittled with problems. (Sockets 478 and 775. Don't know about AMD but I suspect it to be a similar scenario). If you have decided to go with ASRock, be my guest and let us know your results. Just giving my thoughts.

As for the Phenom II x3 720, I would stick with the proc. you were looking at. You will not be as pleased with the x3 as with the x4. Theoretically they are the same unit, with one core locked but, I would get the x4, even for the higher cost, any day of the week.

Good luck, enjoy.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I always build with asus M/B's but for the low budget option here there board just doesn't have a full feature set, they didn't want to cannibalize their other boards. If you have any plans to upgrade to a bulldozer chip then stick with the processor I listed, there is no use paying nearly double for one extra core (which you might also get from the x3) on a chip which is bound for replacement. If you don't plan to upgrade then the x4 is still a solid choice, just a bit overpriced.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

If you are planning on using onboard video, can I suggest that you drop both these and just get a Llano chip and M/B. If you don't plan on using onboard video, skip both the boards you listed as the 880G is an old chipset and go with the Asrock 970 extreme 4 (it is the 880G's replacement chipset). The way I would differentiate the two you listed is by looking at all the bios options available, chipset cooling onboard, and power phase design.

mlcaouette

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011

You need FM1 socket motherboard for a Llano cpu, on a side note you should probably open up your own thread so you get more responses.