b4w

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Ok, My first build, and I was just hoping someone could tell me if they have something similar. Im mostly worried about the cpu cooler fiiting on the motherboard and NOT hitting the RAM, and also if im gonna need to buy any cord adaptors to power my case fans. So The Asus Sabertooth 990FX, Corsair 650 Watt PSU, ATI Radeon HD 5770 GPU, Phenom II X 4 955 BE, HAF X case, corsair vengeance 8 GB (2 X 4GB) DDR3 1600, Thermalright Venomous X, 2 Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA 6.0GB/s 7200 RPM in raid 1, 1 Wesstern Digital Caviar BLue 160 GB Sata 3.0Gb/s 7200 RPM by itself. Mostly worried about space between RAM and CPU cooler.

Solution
I don't own that kind of a setup, but judging from the pics and knowing how tall the heat spreaders are on the vengeances, I would say that you will have issues putting RAM into the first bank. Because that fan assembly comes quite low, basically below the fins of the heatsink. You 'should' be ok with the 2nd and 4th bank for dual channel installation though.

Considering the size of the HAF X, you might want to get an extension cable for the 8 pin MB connector so you can route the cable properly behind the MB tray.
8" extension
12" extension

Can't really tell what the deal is with the fans, maybe someone has a HAF X case and can tell what connectors the fans come with ( 3 or 4 pin )

rvilkman

Distinguished
I don't own that kind of a setup, but judging from the pics and knowing how tall the heat spreaders are on the vengeances, I would say that you will have issues putting RAM into the first bank. Because that fan assembly comes quite low, basically below the fins of the heatsink. You 'should' be ok with the 2nd and 4th bank for dual channel installation though.

Considering the size of the HAF X, you might want to get an extension cable for the 8 pin MB connector so you can route the cable properly behind the MB tray.
8" extension
12" extension

Can't really tell what the deal is with the fans, maybe someone has a HAF X case and can tell what connectors the fans come with ( 3 or 4 pin )

Solution
I agree with rvilkman's evaluation. The heat spreaders on the tall RAM in slot 1 will interfere with the heatsink listed.

And yes, I used a 12" extension on the 8-pins connector for CPU power, and tucked it behind the motherboard tray.

The case fans on my HAF 932 have 3-pin connectors, so I expect the same for the HAF X which is a great case BTW.

rvilkman has answered all questions and deserves the 'Best Answer' - I concurred with him based on my experience with the HAF 932 and my tall RAM heat spreaders (Dominator).

b4w

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Can anyone else verify if I will be able to use the 2nd and 4th slots for RAM still? This is a crucial part of the build. Can anyone else recommend something smaller in terms of physical size of the RAM? It needs to be on the compatibility list for Asus Sabertooth 990FX and DDR3 1600 8 GB (2X4GB)

Subject for a new thread.

TRENDING THREADS