Rosewill Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.
This forum gets far too prejudiced sometimes when considering PSUs.

There are many companies that make PSUs that are at least adequate, and of those a good percentage are actually good.

Not all good PSUs are made by Seasonic or CWT or Delta (the major suppliers of Antec and Corsair and XFX).

Superflower is a PSU maker that is COMPETING with Seasonic in quality, for instance. They should be past the trial stage now... they have been making good PSUs for well over a year, but don't have a big presence in the US. That's just one example. There are other good manufacturers like ATNG or Enhance. Even Sirfa who supplies OCZ and others.

I just wanted to bring up Rosewill today. They have been selling some good PSUs for a couple years, along with some poor ones. However, the quality of their PSUs have been improving constantly.

I'm just going to point to 3 reviews here:

Rosewill Green Series 630 W (RG630-S12) Power Supply Review @ Hardware Secrets
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/881
"Golden Award" Gabe can be a bit generous sometimes but this is a great PSU for the price. If this unit is good all the lower wattage versions are fine as well. The 700W version I am not sure of, and don't normally recommend it.

Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-S-B @jonnyguru
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=60
The 750W version is good, but note the 850W version is only adequate.

Rosewill Lightning 1300W @ jonnyguru
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=258
A great new Super Flower unit that is just a bit expensive, but has pretty lights :p

I'm just getting tired of explaining myself every time I recommend a Rosewill PSU. Are all Rosewill PSUs good? Probably not, although I have heard educated opinions that even the "Stallion" or RV series are adequate if not pushed too hard.

leon2006

Distinguished
You can't argue with results and numbers. They are good/great PSU...

Now Rosewill need to earn the trust of future customers.

As a user i go to the different reviews and make the purchase factoring which brand a trust. The brand that i have experience with.

I tend to keep one brand as long as the reviews are great and the actual performance are great.

From 2001 to 2007 all my PSU's are Antec. Reviews are great or good. I had excellent experience w/ it so i stayed w/ Antec.

In 2007 i purchased 3 units of Antec Quatro 850W... The reviews are good and there are better ones. After 2.5 to 3 years this Quatro 850W failed one after the other....The trust is broken.

I went through reviews and decided to go for single rail Corsair.... I had HX850 and 2 HX1000.

We don't purchase PSU everyday but i have to build a new one again i will stay with Corsair AX. These series have good reviews.

If Rosewill will offer big promo discount then these are the times users look at the other brand. At the same price i will be conservative and stay w/ corsair.

Its me ...This pattern is for me. Others may have different approach.

The reviews lack a Parameter to establish RELIABILITY.. Most of the time we rely on gutt feel or actual experience w/ certain product

Great point Proximon, i think many people often forget that PSU brands are very different from PSU makers, and that even within a single lineup multiple platforms are used, each with their own unique quirks and reliability.

There are some new contenders in the OEM field that have made a great showing lately, Flextronics doesn't make many units, but the AX1200 is a superb showing from them, another obscure brand is the Cougar units from HEC, they have done pretty well in their reviews, and who would have expected to see great HEC built units out there?

I feel like established good reputations aren't nearly as important as good reviews of the unit and platform, ideally you will never need to contact the company if the unit was built on a good platform it should outlast its warranty by many years.

Now, for all those who feel that corsair is the best, any idea how many different companies and how many different platforms have been used the 750 TX family alone(TX, TX-C, TXV2, and TXM)? Corsair units aren't remotely corsair designed, they are platforms from other companies that they buy, sticker, and sell, same with all of the other PSU brands out there that aren't OEMs.

A review doesnt test the longevity and reliability of a PSU, Rosewill PSU's are known for failing prematurely. just brushed over this in the 630w Hardware Secrets review you linked "This power supply uses a Taiwanese capacitor from Teapo labeled at 85º C to filter the output from the active PFC circuit" "Electrolytic capacitors from the secondary are also from Teapo and labeled at 105º C." < good PSU's would more likely use japanese capacitors, not Taepo.

Easy to say, hard to prove. What OEM? What platform? What failed? If you can point to specific capacitors or fan or whatever I would be more likely to buy your argument.

leon2006

Distinguished
You buy what works for your need. The product need not be the best but its the most suited for your specific need.

I for one i can't afford the best. With limited resources i purchase the product that i know for fact works.

When i put together 3 or 4 computers to crunch numbers for me Its more important for me to be sure that these units run 24x7 99% of the time.

Corsair is certainly not the best there is but its something that works or do the job my need. I was really dissappointed when any of HW fail. It cost me more money.

Rosewill or any brand may be better but there will be time for that in the future. It is always good to try other brand.

For now my preference is single RAIL 12V PSU whatever brand that would be. It just happen that i stamble upon Corsair to try it out. It works so far but it does not mean that it will be the case in the future.

leon2006

Distinguished
I'm not in the position to recommend other brand that i have not use. Probably i can say it has excellent review. That's how far i can go.

For Antec and Corsair i know the reviews the history of my actual usage. I use Enermax before and never had failure ever on any of my PSU. Even the unknown brand of the first PCs i built before never failed. These old PSU are all history because its old and obsolete.

4745454b

Titan
I think you nailed the problem in your rant. "they have been making good PSUs for well over a year." First, as crowe pointed out, one year isn't enough for us to know if these PSUs will hold up over time. The other PSUs have shown us that they can. Second, you need to give us time to update ourselves that HEC or Kingwin can make good PSUs. We'll all get there eventually.

either way, im not going to buy a psu from a company that makes mediocore PSU's when for a similar price i can get a PSU from a proven manufacturer that always produces products that meet their rated specs and have good support/warranty system.

4745454b

Titan
I think proven is what does it for me. Nothing wrong with the newer Rosewill PSUs or thermaltake PSUs, etc. But they have produced a lot of bad ones before. As long as I have the $$$ and the price isn't to different, I don't see why I should take the chance. Once they have a few years under their belt then perhaps I'll consider them. Something else I just realized.

Even Sirfa who supplies OCZ and others.

There are many, myself included, who don't count OCZ as among the greats anymore. They started the high end PSU business with that great (for its day) 520W PSU, but after buying PCP&C have seemed to have faltered.

oh like thermaltake.coolermaster and corsair? they make good and they make mediocre psu s buy people will buy any old crap if it has a good name on it .look how far it got apple

4745454b

Titan
What crap did Corsair make? And don't start with the CX series. The VX series was VERY underrated. The CX is simply more in line with what it can do. Nothing wrong with that. I've never seen a Corsair fail any part of testing. Can't say the same for TT or CM.

the newer cx series
rated output at 30c ambients and 3 year warranty

better can be had at the same price

new gs series

someone at corsair said 'we still got these old tx models in stock,yeah we will add 50 watts to the output and stick some leds on them gamers will freak over leds'

thermal take has sent one psu for reviews and testing and when people weren't looking they switched the oem and minutely changed the model number for retail versions

coolermaster,how much will we rate this psu we found in the trash i dunno spin the wheel

inuyasha-rules

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
when i was doing computer repair for living, we sold mostly logisys and rosewill power supplies, specifically the logisys 550w black beauty, and the rosewill 650w (forget exact model) and in 2 years had 2 come back dead. the customer was in a section of town know for bad power fluctuations and didnt want to get active UPS's and loads of her electronics failed on a regular basis. hows that for a review of reliability?

rosewill green series > corsair cx series

yeah i know bout the gs series but they are still pointless and is just corsair micro managing the market

Most of this has been debated before of course, but it is nice to have everyone presenting their arguments so clearly here. A lot of good points.

I'm well aware of the relative worth of the various PSUs, and certainly warranty and support are a big factor.

Honestly, where Rosewill usually comes into the picture it's deals like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.742876

When someone wants to build a gaming computer for $500 that helps a lot.

yeah it does

something like this comes to mind for a good entry level enthusiast build for round $750

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.743053

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.743123

yeah its not the best cases but they can be made to look neat with the aid of a modular psu and some attention

and this great deal for a 1kw psu for someone who wants to splurge a bit on gpu power but not break the bank on a $200+ psu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182239

I have a couple of TT 470w TR2's which got reviewed very bad, they are 5 years old and still running quad core/dual core systems with 8800gts and 7600gt respectively. Thermaltake do make reliable PSU's, they just dont always meet the rated specs. Their Toughpower series has always been good though.

Well OK, I've been known to treat brands that way myself. Just as long as you hold Thermaltake and CoolerMaster and Silverstone and many others to the same standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.