PSP Email, Web Browser, Voice Chat & more

Last response: in Video Games
January 11, 2005 6:28:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,uk.games.video.playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

http://www.video-fenky.com/
It's been a busy day for PSP hackers, as a great deal of progress has been
made in deciphering the groups of servers the handheld uses as it connects
to the outside world. Among the discoveries posted on one random Geocities
site that will probably be down by the time you click on it: an "update
image" (about 14.5mb zipped) found on a site named
dj02.psp.update.playstation.org.

This update image, as it turns out, is a PSP executable and boots up as a
"game" if you transfer it over the PSP via memory stick. This update has a
full install procedure and everything, although the EULA attached makes
mention of the PS2 hard drive and the update itself crashes the PSP's
internal software. Most interesting, though, are the new features this
update promises in the install program:

a.. Voice text reading
b.. SonicStage music/news transfer (SonicStage being an iTunes-type
program from Sony)
c.. Calculator
d.. Voice chat
e.. Three PSP internal games
f.. PSP mail software
g.. PSP word processor/spreadsheet software
h.. PSP web browser
i.. PSP scheduling software
j.. Bugfixes
The update file is off the playstation.org site now, but mirrors are
available here and there.

The "word processor/spreadsheet" bit sounds like a bit of placeholder humor
to me, so I imagine this is probably a test file of some sort. Still, it's
important to have something to dream about, isn't it?
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 3:31:14 AM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Xenon <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com> wrote:

> The "word processor/spreadsheet" bit sounds like a bit of placeholder humor
> to me, so I imagine this is probably a test file of some sort. Still, it's
> important to have something to dream about, isn't it?

I dunno. So long as they aren't trying to implement Microsoft Office or
anything like that, I could certainly see them implementing a small,
simple version word processor and spreadsheet program. After all,
LOTUS123 used to come on a single, single-sided low density floppy disk
(128?k!)
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:00:16 AM

Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message news:<10u8ruiimju1o15@corp.supernews.com>...
> In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Xenon <xenonxbox2@xboxnext.com> wrote:
>
> > The "word processor/spreadsheet" bit sounds like a bit of placeholder humor
> > to me, so I imagine this is probably a test file of some sort. Still, it's
> > important to have something to dream about, isn't it?
>
> I dunno. So long as they aren't trying to implement Microsoft Office or
> anything like that, I could certainly see them implementing a small,
> simple version word processor and spreadsheet program. After all,
> LOTUS123 used to come on a single, single-sided low density floppy disk
> (128?k!)

Is this dreamy enough:

Voice-recognition word processing. Combined with wireless net and
mail, this could be absolutely huge. It is, I think,
inevitable...maybe not on this generation of systems.
!