Will older 1066 Mhz DDR3 memory work in Asus P8Z77-V Pro with 3570k?

Kak_

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
The specs for the motherboard on the Asus website do not list 1066 Mhz memory as being supported, and there is none on the qualified memory list either. However in the manual it does seem to include/mention 1066 memory. Some other non-Asus Z77 motherboards do seem to list it as supported, although I couldn't find a post by anyone using such old/slow memory on any Z77 motherboard. Would there be any issue in using it?

I ask because my 1600 Mhz memory won't get here for another week, so I was wondering if it would be worth the trouble to borrow a friend's 1066 Mhz memory (DDR3) to get my first PC build up and running in the meantime.

Kak_

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Thank you for the welcome and the response. :) I'll go ahead and borrow them from my friend and see if they work. I hope they do, because I have read a lot about this motherboard having memory compatibility issues or not even recognizing approved memory, so 1066 not being mentioned on the compatibility list/main site worried me. We'll see what happens, google searching makes me feel like the first person online to try it. :p

EDIT- Just to be clear, I know 1066 is listed in the manual, I was just unsure because it is not listed on the general specs page or qualified memory list PDF file (in both of those cases it doesn't go lower than 1333). That combined with the issues this board is reported to have even with specific memory models that are on the qualified list PDF file made me hesitant. I understand now it is supposed to work though. Sorry if I'm being a little too cautious about this, it's my first complete build, and I'd have to get the memory from another city.