Help buying power supply and graphics card

azdevil2004

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hey everybody,

I would like to upgrade my graphics card and power supply, but I do not have much knowledge on computers. However, from the research I have done, I understand that upgrading to a better graphics card is not as simple as just buying one. It has to match the motherboard, and you have to have the correct power supply right?

I bought a prebuilt PC from Best Buy a few years ago and it is a HPE-210y and I found the specs from another forum and it was the exact model and product number that I have.

My current power supply is only 300W from the stock power that came with the computer and my graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 5450 with dedicated graphics memory of 512MB. I downloaded the Battlefield 3 beta and unless I have the settings at very low and my resolution at 800x600, I cannot play the game without lag.

My questions are: What graphics cards can I buy that match my motherboard and is there an easy way for me to know this? My price range would be upwards of $300-$400 so if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. Also, what power supply should I buy to be able to handle the graphics card around the $100-$150 range? Are there any power supplies that do not fit into the prebuilt case that came with my computer?

I feel like besides the graphics card and the power supply, my computer has a lot of other solid components for now, correct?

I appreciate all the help I can get!

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
Model BK170AA-ABA HPE-210y
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 931 GB
Disk partition (C:) (920 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) (12 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Radeon HD 5450
Total available graphics memory 3571 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3059 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.773.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

Processor
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model: AMD Phenom II X4 945 (HDX945FBGIBOX)
Speed: 3.0 GHZ
Socket: AM3/AM2+
Bus speed: 3600 MHz HT3

Motherboard
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)
Manufacturer: Foxconn
Form factor: uATX
Chipset: AMD 785G
Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
Front side bus speeds: 5200 MT/s
Processor socket: AM3
Expansion Slots:

1 PCI x16 slot for graphics card
3 PCI x1 slots
1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

Computer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HPE-210y

azdevil2004

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

So, if I were to get a larger PSU, I would be able to by a bigger video card? Anybody have personal examples of their video card and PSU that they recommend? Thanks for the help dirtyferret.

azdevil2004

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Hey ferret, I talked with AMD support, and they agree with you that it seems that I will need to have a mid range card, simply just because of the size of the tower and the room I have. Any large cards I would need to have a larger tower.