Does lan driver come inbuilt in windows 7?

mayankifonly

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
Hello,
my local area connection has dissappeared on change adapter settings in network and sharing centre .i have windows 7 installed in my laptop....
How can i bring it back???
when i open my network and sharing centre,local area connection is even not there..
plz help

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007

Its physical ethernet adapter right? If it was the wireless network conneciton, make sure that you have not simply turned the antenna off via a physical on-off switch located somewhere on the outside of the laptop case.

For the physical local area connection, right-click Computer -> Properties -> Choose Device Manager -> Expand Network Adapters

I got a few difference scenarios for you:

1. I see local area connection, but it has a down arrow over it: Right-click the device and choose Enable.
You may need to restart your computer for this. I suggest following the power settings marked in option 3 after enabling the device.

2. I do not see the device listed AT ALL: Click Action -> Scan for hardware changes at the top of the screen.
Does the device appear listed after the scan for hardware? If not, you may want to consult your Laptop manufacturer to diagnose/troubleshoot a failed adapter.

3. I see my device and there it appears to be working correctly in Device Manager: Sometimes laptops will disable the devices depending on the power schemas/settings. To prevent the laptop from disabling this device, right-click the device -> Click Properties -> Click Power Management tab and make sure there is nothing checked that allows the system to disable the device for power settings.

4. I see yellow ?'s in my Device Manager. What do I do? If you have yellow ?'s in your device manager it means that Windows could not find a driver to install the device with. Download the latest drivers from your manufacturer for the affected device and install with the newest manufacturer's drivers.

Just a couple of thoughts. Hope it helps

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
It seems as though the nic has been disabled or the driver is missing. To check this:

Go to start and right-click on Computer, select Manage, go to Network Adapters and click to expand the group. If there is nothing there, either the NIC has been uninstalled or it might have been damaged. If there is a group called unknown devices and it has a network adapter in it, your NIC driver needs to be installed.

Check the device manager and try to find the driver from the manufactures website.
Good luck. :)