Memory cards - SD or MultiMediaCards for Canon A510?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 13, 2005 6:49:50 PM

My new Canon A510 uses "either" SD or MultiMediaCards.
It came with a Canon 16MB MultiMediaCard, and I purchased a
SanDisk 512MB SD card. Both seem to work just fine. To the
user, there seems to be no difference in the media.

Questions:
1. I plan to buy additional media cards.
Which is the better buy - SD or MultiMediaCard?

2. I'm thinking about buying 1GB cards.
Will the 1GB cards work in the new Canon A510?
The manual shows the 512MB as the largest card.

3. "If" the 1GB SD or MultiMediaCard will work in the A510,
will the larger memory size "slow down" the speed of the A510?
That is, will the 1GB card place a greater processing load on the
Canon A510? Refresh speed is very important to me.

4. We will be buying a tiny MP3/FM Radio device in the future.
It would be nice to use the media cards for both the A510 &
the MP3/FM device as well.

Gene
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 16, 2005 3:53:20 PM

"Gene" <genes@thegateway.net> wrote in message
> My new Canon A510 uses "either" SD or MultiMediaCards.
> It came with a Canon 16MB MultiMediaCard, and I purchased a
> SanDisk 512MB SD card. Both seem to work just fine. To the
> user, there seems to be no difference in the media.
>
> Questions:
> 1. I plan to buy additional media cards.
> Which is the better buy - SD or MultiMediaCard?

SD. For the obvious reason that MMC is older and just isn't really produced
any more. You aren't going to find a 1GB MMC card, to my knowledge.

> 2. I'm thinking about buying 1GB cards.
> Will the 1GB cards work in the new Canon A510?
> The manual shows the 512MB as the largest card.

Given that the A510 is a brand new camera and was designed during
a period when 1GB cards existed, I'd say the chances are very good
that 1GB (and even 2GB) cards will work. Why not ask Canon?

> 3. "If" the 1GB SD or MultiMediaCard will work in the A510,
> will the larger memory size "slow down" the speed of the A510?
> That is, will the 1GB card place a greater processing load on the
> Canon A510? Refresh speed is very important to me.

No. The speed of card access is not directly related to the size of the
card. There are different speed cards, so you could have a fast 1GB
card and a slow 512MB card. In truth, for any relatively recent card,
the camera is most likely the limiting factor. In other words, the
camera can write (and read) the card only so fast. The fact that the
card can support higher speed devices doesn't help at all in the
camera.

> 4. We will be buying a tiny MP3/FM Radio device in the future.
> It would be nice to use the media cards for both the A510 &
> the MP3/FM device as well.
Presuming both use the same kind of card, you can. Of course, the
camera, and perhaps the MP3 player, may require a particular directory
layout and some "special" files for housekeeping chores. If the
other device disturbs this layout, then the card won't work until the
layout is restored. The simplest way to ensure this is to reformat the
card in the device before using it after it has been used/formated in the
other device.

--
Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
space)[com]