New Build Won't Boot Because of CPU

youngblood1017

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
I finally got my new build all put together but when i turned it on for the first time it wouldn't boot. Later i read that this little blue LED next to the CPU that was constantly on was a bad thing. On the Asus P8P67 WS Revolution they have these little LED's called diagnosis lights next to all the major components when one goes off your supposed to fix the problem and then the LED will go off. the problem is i don't know what to fix. I took the heatsink off took, the CPU out and everything seemed fine. So any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also when i press the MEM-OK button the whole system shuts down. is this bad?

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Reseat the processor and reapply thermalpaste. Note that CPU's are keyed. There is only one correct way to put them in. Clear the CMOS (BIOS or UEFI) on your board and test again with CPU, 1 stick of RAM in the first slot, and if no integrated video is present, with videocard too, noting else. See if that works or still gives you a failing indicator. CPU's are pretty durable units. It is not all that common to have a bad CPU, possible (I've had a few) but not likely. If possible, test it in a different machine or test a known good processor in this board if possible. If not, I recommend a CPU socket tester. I would seem to bet the board is bad before the processor but, I may be dead wrong, don't know yet.

Make sure the power (4 P4 or 8 pin EPS 12v) cable is plugged in, that is a very common error amongst builders