Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need buying advice, wireless Router?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 27, 2010 2:44:51 PM

Im looking to get a new wireless router, I am replacing my old linksys b/g wireless router.
I have searched the net for reviews for hours now and I couldn't find any useful info. where are all the reviews? all I find is reviews that are a year old or older.

I do have 2 desktops, both are plugged directly into my dls modem, Very rare that I swap/transfer anything from one desktop to another.
I will mostly use the wireless router for my android phone, I pad and Laptop for general web surfing, app dl's and some youtube videos. most times, two devices on the net at the same time.
I did just get an xbox 360/Kinect for Christmas, so i will probably/eventually use the wireless for some type of internet use on the xbox.

I did read that a dual band N router is good, but what one to buy is the question. I dont want to spend $200 on a router, but I dont want a piece of crap that is really slow either.

ANY advise/help would be much appreciated

thanks
Ken
December 27, 2010 4:19:53 PM

Linksys E2000 or E3000
m
l

Best solution

December 27, 2010 5:01:23 PM

+1^

I have an e3000. Best router I've ever owned.
Related resources
December 27, 2010 5:48:35 PM

I've also had this one in the past and it was also a fantastic router. It did have some problems with overheating at times when under heavy load but I suspect this was more due to the fact that my roommate was a blooming idiot who left the router on the floor. :pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
m
l
December 27, 2010 7:00:25 PM

thanks for the link, I was looking at that router, but I dont think its a dual band router, Will that make a difference?

When I get a new router, what is going to be my best connection method?
one of my desktops is a gaming rig that I play blackops/bfbc2 online. right now its plugged directly into my dsl router. my dsl router has 4 hookup ports. Would it make any difference if i plugged into my new router instead of directly into my dsl router?

Thanks
Ken
m
l
December 27, 2010 7:34:46 PM

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=681

THIS IS A GREAT dual band router,you will have to wireless streams at the same time one 2.4 ghz and one at 5 ghz!But to use this you have to have a dual band adapter just like the dwa 160 to see both streams most adapters will only see the 2.4 ghz stream!

m
l
December 27, 2010 9:16:54 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=681

THIS IS A GREAT dual band router,you will have to wireless streams at the same time one 2.4 ghz and one at 5 ghz!But to use this you have to have a dual band adapter just like the dwa 160 to see both streams most adapters will only see the 2.4 ghz stream!

Not sure why I would need the dwa 160? both desktops will be hard wired, laptop and xbox has wireless b/g/n cards built in, android and ipad is built in as well?

I like the router tho

tx
ken
m
l
January 7, 2011 8:08:03 PM

Best answer selected by XRWKEN.
m
l
!