Can I install an intell 2 duo core processor in my pc?

dathip

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
You have to forgive me folks since it is my first time on tom'ss hardware and I will be polite. :pfff:

I need to upgrade for gaming and my pc compaq presario 061 has a intel celeron D CPU 3.33GHz. I want to upgrade to like a intel duo core processor like these on amazon. Will it work. I dont wanna be all paranoid inputing them in my pc or scared. here is the link http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_9?field-keywords=intel+dual+core+processor&url=search-alias%3Daps&x=0&y=0&sprefix=intel+dua

Thanks guys

my mother board is an ATI RS400/RC400/RC410 and southbridge is SB400. BTW can you suggest another option instead of telling me to buy another pc.

From what I can find on the net this Board and CPU are for a laptop. That's what Google's telling me. Could you send a link to the actual model of your PC from the HP site? That would be a lot more easier to figure out then from the specs you have listed here.

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
According to HP:

Supports the following processors:
Pentium D 900 series Dual Core up to 950 (Pressler, 65nm)
Pentium D 800 series Dual Core (Smithfield, 90nm)
Pentium 4 601 series up to 661 (Cedar Mill, 65nm)
Pentium 4 600 series up to 650 (Prescott, 90nm)
Pentium 4 500 series up to 551 (Prescott, 90nm)
Celeron D up to 360 (Cedar Mill, 65nm)
Celeron D up to 355 (Prescott, 90nm)

dathip

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

THank THANK THANK YOU BLACKHAWK. That means i need to upgrade to my motherboard. I was wondering if you can upgrade your pc to any motherboard with intel 2 duo core capable like this. LIke I said thanks man. http://www.amazon.com/Foxconn-Intel-Micro-Motherboard-G41MX-/dp/B00353CWPA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1317932855&sr=8-12

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

I prefer Biostar for budget boards but that would work fine.

You are going to have to monkey with the power switch wiring going into an OEM case... and you will likely have to reinstall the OS as well

By the way, Core 2 Duos are still good but LGA775 is 3 generations old and going byebye; have you considered a LGA1155 or AM3 system if you are replacing the motherboard anyway?

dathip

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Yes I just thought of that. What about this motherboard. http://www.amazon.com/MSI-LGA1155-B3-Motherboard-H61M-P23/dp/B004RPNM86/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317944060&sr=1-22

Would it be good and also if good and I replace my motherboard would I have to purchase anything additional besides RAM and processor. Lastly, will I have to change my os from windows xp home edition to windows 7? Thanks pal for the replies.

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011

Thats a fairly basic board but good if on a budget. Pair it with a nice i3 for $125:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078

and 4gb of DDR3-1333 for about $30

XP is fully supported at the moment but Win 7 would be an excellent upgrade; some games (eg. battlefield 3) require Vista or 7.

dathip

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Thank you so much blackhawk for you help. I truly appreciate it. I was going to get intel i3 core like you said and imma get 8 gb ddr3 ram. Just one more question. Between xp and windows 7, which version does best in gaming performance wise. I know I am going to have to upgrade my xp rather soon. But would you recommend now? Also can I revert from windows 7 to xp and vice versa anytime i want? Like I said thanks man :bounce: :sol: :)

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
XP will run a little faster (usually) but only because it doesn't support DirectX 10 or 11 (which make games look a little better at the cost of some performance). Some games require at least DirectX 10 and will not run in XP at all.

If you are running 8 GB of RAM then you NEED a 64 bit OS to make use of it; your XP Home will only see a little more than 3GB... and if its a OEM (like HP, came preinstalled) version then it will not activate on the MSI motherboard.

XP is also going the way of the LGA775 socket, it already 10+ years old. I highly recommend getting Windows 7; the 64 bit Home Premium version is all you need for gaming and you can sometimes find it on Newegg for $80 or less...

dathip

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
ooh bro, The pc I should you is an oem by compaq and had windows xp home edition installed. SO that means, its guaranteed for me to do a fresh install of windows 7 on my windows xp in order to activate on the MSI motherboard? :pfff:

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
OEM versions of Windows recognize that OEM's BIOS and self-activate; if you try to boot your OEM installation of XP home on the MSI (or other non-HP/Compaq board) it will likely ask you to reactivate Windows.

And that's if it even boots; XP is not good at booting on a different system than it was installed on; changing out the CPU only is OK, but changing motherboards will throw XP for a loop. 7 on the other hand is good at this, so if you get hardware down the road you could potentially upgrade without reinstalling.

The bottom line is that if you want to upgrade past a Pentium D 950 (which is ok but won't keep you gaming to more than a year) you are going to have to backup you data and programs, upgrade your mobo/CPU/RAM, and do a clean reinstall of either XP or 7.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this then I can recommend some other OEM systems which you can drop your video card in and just go from there; there are good i5 or Phenom quadcore systems available for under $450...

dathip

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
ok thanks man. SO the final question(and forgive for keep saying final) is that if Install everything properly in my computer, everything works fine and dandy. Should I just get the reinstallation disk of windows 7 or xp and continue from there? Or anything else I should do before.

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
:lol: Yep. So your XP "reinstallation disk" is probably an OEM version from HP that will require another XP key to work on the MSI board like I said.

For Windows 7, unless you are a student at certain universities (where you can get free MS software including Windows through MSDN) you need to buy a retail version of 7, which gets you a install disk and key.

Once the system is together and running, go ahead and install away...