Closed Solved

Memory.. which is faster?

No one has answered my former post (Don't blame them.. it's a long-winded one.). So I'll state it as a simple question:

All things considered.. which is better/faster?

4 X 2GB sticks of DDR2 667 @ timings of 4-4-4-12 ..

4 X 2GB sticks of DDR2 800 @ timings of 5-5-5-15?

Same brand (G.SKILL).. 2 dual channel kits.. same voltage (1.8-1.9V).

Thanks to all for your time and attention.

BTW.. the mobo (EVGA 680i) maxes out at 8GB total.. can take both speeds, and has small voltage steps up to 2.5V.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about memory faster
  1. My 667 memory arrived today from Newegg and I only have a short window to return w/o a restocking fee and on their dime (I told them I may have ordered the wrong speed and I'm a long-standing customer.. first RMA).

I hope someone can answer this soon. Keep the 667 (which was actually $5 more a set) or return it and order 800?
  2. Best answer
    Theoretically, the 800MHZ at those timings are faster. But I doubt you'll notice any difference. I'd keep what you have. I used to have an Asus 650i board that gave me an occasional BSOD whenever I populated all 4 slots with the fastest RAM (800MHZ) it was designed for. I had to use 667MHZ to make it happy.
  3. Cool!.. Thank you very much for your answer! Yup.. I figured it was something like 3X4 = 2X6 type of thing and it all evened out in the end. I'll keep the 667.. and besides.. I now have 2X2 GB Crucial sticks I can use as spares. I appreciate your attention sir.
  4. Best answer selected by emdeesee.
  5. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory