Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD new build help

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2011 4:08:17 PM

hey all, I've been looking up a bunch of gaming computer website to find which would better suit my future rig needs.
I finally decided to build it myself due to some feedback I heard from pre built computers.

So Here is my future rig. I'd like to take the price down a bit if possible, while keeping the same kind of performances.
Any tip will help. I'm not planning on buying before the end of august so I have plenty of time.
I plan on playing on 1920-1080 resolution for now and I'd like the rig to be able to handle high or ultra settings on most of the new and future games.

Here it is:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... Rosewill ARMOR Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3R HE103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity x2 crossfire http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PXD38G1600LLK http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDE00ZFBGRBOX http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/cgi-bin/ShoppingCart.asp Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration

I don't mind buying from any Canadian online retailer
Thx

More about : amd build

July 9, 2011 9:27:04 PM

I can also use my actual desktop's hard drive on my new computer to save some money.
Score
July 9, 2011 9:30:48 PM

Any Sandy Bridge i core processor will be faster than the 1100T for gaming. The i5s blow AMD chips out of the water.

You even managed to find an overpriced motherboard.

And your case doesn't make your computer any faster. In fact if you have a set budget it's always better to cheap out on stuff like the case and spend more on the CPU and GPU.
Score
Related resources
July 9, 2011 9:35:24 PM

Isn't a case with a lot of fans and circulation better than a cheap one? if not I can only reuse the one from my actual crappy gateway.

I don't know much about motherboards, which one are good and such.
Score
July 9, 2011 9:38:52 PM

Beyond a certain point it doesn't matter unless you're trying to get the maximum OC you're possibly trying to get. Even then not so much as it will more affect idle temperatures than load which depend more on the core cooling than your case.

I laugh at people with HD 5770s in HAF 922s, it's pathetic.

If you overclock get i5-2500K + P67/Z68. If not get any non-K i5 + H61/H67.
Score
July 9, 2011 9:54:38 PM

I like your build and it has a lot of future potential because the 990 series chipset will let you upgrade to a BULLDOZER cpu later on .
Thats a potential sandy bridge beater . But we just dont know yet .

The two things I think you should change are the processor . Games dont use 6 cores . Save money by using an X4 955 . Thats the best bang for buck and will probably clock higher than an X6 and game better .

And if money is still an issue then use a 2 x2 gig kit of RAM . Games dont use anywhere near 8 gig . You wont see any performance increase using 8 gig over 4 when gaming
Score
July 9, 2011 9:59:34 PM

browsingtheworld said:
Any Sandy Bridge i core processor will be faster than the 1100T for gaming. The i5s blow AMD chips out of the water.

You even managed to find an overpriced motherboard.

And your case doesn't make your computer any faster. In fact if you have a set budget it's always better to cheap out on stuff like the case and spend more on the CPU and GPU.

Yes you are right if you play games on monitor of 15inch on resolution 800x600 without any filters in that case really Sandy Bridge will be much faster, if you have normal HD monitor of 22-24 inch and you play on res. 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 with all filters you will see difference in performance only if you turn on slow motion and count frame by frame in real gaming you will see nothing . 1 more expl. dude you have monitor on 60 Hz and FPS above 60 you couldn't see. It means that you could with Phenom II 6 core play game in same time you could listen internet radio, convert MP3 to FLAC, and send in your network 1 good film for your mom.

Don't believe everything what you here on TV or read in newspaper, usually it doesn't have to much connection with real true. ( they lie you)
6 core is always better than 2 or 4 cores, also pls check my words don't believe me.
Score
July 9, 2011 10:24:36 PM

Your rig is good, motherboard and CPU excellent, only u should change hard drive for 2 x Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 =78$ and put it in RAID 0, it is very easy with your motherboard. Personally I prefer case COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case for 59,99$, difference in price you could use for cooler for examp. Arctic Cooling 13 Pro 45$( best for new AM3+ retention) and overclock your CPU to normal 4 GHz.
for Phenom II CPU weakest part for overclock is memory controller on CPU and you should first try to rise voltage for this part not CPU cores, and don't worry AMD configurations for same price are always better even 20-35% cheaper are better than INTEL which CPUs and motherboards are overpriced.
U rely don't need in moment more than 4 Gb of DDR3 but chose on 1866 Mhz for future upgrade, and if you need hard to save some money take X4 955, or 965.
Main advantage of AMD configurations is future upgrade.
All best with your new rig

Score
July 9, 2011 10:43:14 PM

Outlander_04 said:
I like your build and it has a lot of future potential because the 990 series chipset will let you upgrade to a BULLDOZER cpu later on .
Thats a potential sandy bridge beater . But we just dont know yet .

The two things I think you should change are the processor . Games dont use 6 cores . Save money by using an X4 955 . Thats the best bang for buck and will probably clock higher than an X6 and game better .

With an LGA1155 platform he can upgrade to Ivy Bridge later on and is guaranteed to have better performance at the moment.

The i3-2100 is the same price as the 955 and is much faster.

bdrazic said:
Yes you are right if you play games on monitor of 15inch on resolution 800x600 without any filters in that case really Sandy Bridge will be much faster, if you have normal HD monitor of 22-24 inch and you play on res. 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 with all filters you will see difference in performance only if you turn on slow motion and count frame by frame in real gaming you will see nothing . 1 more expl. dude you have monitor on 60 Hz and FPS above 60 you couldn't see. It means that you could with Phenom II 6 core play game in same time you could listen internet radio, convert MP3 to FLAC, and send in your network 1 good film for your mom.

Don't believe everything what you here on TV or read in newspaper, usually it doesn't have to much connection with real true. ( they lie you)
6 core is always better than 2 or 4 cores, also pls check my words don't believe me.

I'd appreciate if your fanboyism could be composed in grammatically correct sentences.

6 cores is always better than 4 core eh?
Here's the i3-2100, the slowest Intel SB core processor, beating the 1100T BE in gaming:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=289

For the price, Intel offers much better gaming performance than AMD.

bdrazic said:
Your rig is good, motherboard and CPU excellent, only u should change hard drive for 2 x Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 =78$ and put it in RAID 0, it is very easy with your motherboard. Personally I prefer case COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case for 59,99$, difference in price you could use for cooler for examp. Arctic Cooling 13 Pro 45$( best for new AM3+ retention) and overclock your CPU to normal 4 GHz.
for Phenom II CPU weakest part for overclock is memory controller on CPU and you should first try to rise voltage for this part not CPU cores, and don't worry AMD configurations for same price are always better even 20-35% cheaper are better than INTEL which CPUs and motherboards are overpriced. All best with your new rig

Please explain to me how AMD offers better performance for the price when the $125 Intel chip beats the $190 AMD chip.
Score
July 9, 2011 11:22:28 PM

Do you use your PC only for gaming or it is universal machine, how u mean beating and don't use marketing agencies as your start point. Do you like comfort playing or what? What kind of monitor u use size? I like to play on 3 monitors 24 inchs, With six core I play game and in same time I do 2-3 more jobs could you do it with i3, and everything more of 60FPS you could not see and what else to say.
Score
July 9, 2011 11:26:29 PM

bdrazic said:
Do you use your PC only for gaming or it is universal machine, how u mean beating and don't use marketing agencies as your start point. Do you like comfort playing or what? What kind of monitor u use size? I like to play on 3 monitors 24 inchs, With six core I play game and in same time I do 2-3 more jobs could you do it with i3, and everything more of 60FPS you could not see and what else to say.

How is your grammar so bad? Just wow.

I like how you imply that you can't play a game and tab out with an i3 when people are doing it with their C2D. Nice try though.
Score
July 10, 2011 12:15:40 AM

browsingtheworld said:
With an LGA1155 platform he can upgrade to Ivy Bridge later on and is guaranteed to have better performance at the moment.

The i3-2100 is the same price as the 955 and is much faster.

Actual you are wrong on both counts . The i3 2100 costs more than the Phenom 955 and it wont out perform better .

Yes Ive seen those benchmarks on clean systems that show the 2100 ahead . but they have to be taken in context . On a real computer with an antivirus and firewall the penalty on the dual core is much higher and frame rates drop. The quad by comparison will have cores it can dedicate to those, and other , windows services and it wont drop frame rates .

When you are not gaming the 955 will handily outpace the i3 2100 .

I suggest you read the last two Tomshardware System Builder Marathon articles for the $500 pc . The most recent one used an i3 2100 and the previous one used a slower Phenom with lower cache .
The rants of the intel fanboys and the marketing department came crashing down in flames .

Score
July 10, 2011 12:29:29 AM

browsingtheworld said:
How is your grammar so bad? Just wow.

I like how you imply that you can't play a game and tab out with an i3 when people are doing it with their C2D. Nice try though.

How are you so stupid that you cant work out that English is not his first language?

I thought he did really well considering he seems to be Russian or Eastern European .Can you speak his language ? I guess not so hes a lot smarter than you ..... and way less rude

And the points he made about technology are true .
Score
July 10, 2011 12:31:06 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Actual you are wrong on both counts . The i3 2100 costs more than the Phenom 955 and it wont out perform better .

Yes Ive seen those benchmarks on clean systems that show the 2100 ahead . but they have to be taken in context . On a real computer with an antivirus and firewall the penalty on the dual core is much higher and frame rates drop. The quad by comparison will have cores it can dedicate to those, and other , windows services and it wont drop frame rates .

When you are not gaming the 955 will handily outpace the i3 2100 .

I suggest you read the last two Tomshardware System Builder Marathon articles for the $500 pc . The most recent one used an i3 2100 and the previous one used a slower Phenom with lower cache .
The rants of the intel fanboys and the marketing department came crashing down in flames .

The i3 costs $5 more.

Is this a joke? So a firewall and anti-virus is the reason the Phenom got crushed? Now you're just grasping for straws and pulling wild BS (actually you were doing this before, too).

Not to mention the fact the i3 is hyperthreaded so it's quite competent in multi-threaded applications.

Who cares about browsing and watching movies, he can get a C2D or Athlon II X2 for those tasks which will be just as fast. Where you really notice the difference between CPUs is encoding and gaming. In this case the OP is gaming and the i3 is significantly faster than any Phenom II in gaming.

Here's the hard evidence instead of the made up BS from people such as Outlander_04:
i3 beating the 1100T - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=289
i3 crushing the 955 - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=289
Score
July 10, 2011 12:34:42 AM

Outlander_04 said:
How are you so stupid that you cant work out that English is not his first language?

I thought he did really well considering he seems to be Russian or Eastern European .Can you speak his language ? I guess not so hes a lot smarter than you ..... and way less rude

And the points he made about technology are true .

I don't care why he can't compose proper English sentences. The fact is he can't write English properly and shouldn't be posting any advice. I wouldn't post in Chinese on Chinese websites since I can't speak... At the very least I wouldn't give anyone any advice.

What points did he make exactly? He made up wild BS...

But then again you would defend such idiocy considering these are your words:
Quote:

Score
July 10, 2011 2:39:12 AM

Browsingtheworld & Outlander_04, stop the personal attacks, now. If your post doesn't directly answer the OP do not post at all.
Score
July 10, 2011 3:04:09 AM

jbakerlent said:
Browsingtheworld & Outlander_04, stop the personal attacks, now. If your post doesn't directly answer the OP do not post at all.

In principle, I agree

But when someone is being abusive I think its fair to respond in kind .

I also know the conclusions he is drawing are incorrect and are doing a disservice to the OP, and others who may follow his "advice" , because it is wrong
Score
July 10, 2011 3:33:21 AM

@Malakar: You have been provided some good information and some not so good "off topic" information in this thread. If you have not found the answer you were looking for, please create another thread, as I'm closing this thread to keep it getting any further out of hand.

Best of luck to you on your new build
Score
!