Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I just got a new ASUS p8z68 motherboard and set it up with a core i5 3570K

However, upon startup, I get nothing, nada, zilch. the fans spin up, and that's basically it.

Now, I hear there's supposed to have been a BIOS update to run the 3570K correctly. However, I would expect that it would at least boot up to the BIOS so that I could at least update the frickin' thing.

Also, I plugged in a speaker to the mobo speaker pins. No beeps. Nothing. Did I get a faulty board?

No, you didn't get a faulty board, you just got caught in a catch 22 situation. To use that CPU, you need a bios update, but to do a bios update, you need a working cpu.

You can do one of two things. Return the board and exchange it for a z77 board. That will work with your cpu fron the start. Or, you can send the board in to Asus for flashing.

Hi there,
Did u plug back in the 4pin power cable?
4/8-pin CPU power 12v ATX connector.
atx-4pin-molex-39-01-2040.jpg

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Okay, so it's just as I feared, then.

Well, luckily I work at my school's computer center. maybe they'll have a socket 1155 processor just sitting around or something.

It just really kinda figures. I had this problem with the core2duo e8400 on a 650i motherboard. It just kills me that they haven't found a workaround so that all procs of the same socket are required to at least POST.

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Now for another quick question:

Which would be cheaper:

1. Go to computers plus or PC quest and have them update my bios. or

2. buy something like a sandy bridge celeron for about 40 bucks and do it myself.

I would prefer to do it myself either way, but money is the important part right now.

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Okay, so I got a celeron 540 and it boots up fine into the UEFI bios.

Next, I updated the firmware from about 3500 to 3904 (the IB support was back in the 3700 series of bios.)

However, when I switch the processor back to the i5, still no luck. it starts up, turns off for a short period, then turns on again and sticks with no video. No video whatsoever from the 9800GTX+ or from the integrated Intel 4000. What gives? Is there something i need to press?

For the record, I'm using the DVI out.

I put the celeron back, and it came up with a message saying "new processor!"press F1 to configure. And here I am, sitting here in the bios wondering if there's anything I can do to help the motherboard anticipate a new processor.

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Okay, so I tried it. still no luck.

God, I don't want to have to RMA, then wait 4 days for it to get to freaking california, then wait another 4 days for them to send me another one. Their stuff should just, you know, WORK.

Jonathanese

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
It's cool. the RMA was approved, and I'm running windows 7 on the celeron at the moment.

It's hilarious, the power of both these cores is about the power if not less than one i5 core.

Also, WEI:

RAM: 7.8
Hard Drives: 7.7
Graphics: 7.0
And (drumroll) CPU: 6.0

windows boots up in about 20 seconds tops, but has a tendency to lock up once it gets there: All the other components are running circles around the processor.

But anyway, I can't wait to get a working i5 in there! It should be a heck of an upgrade!