Sign in with
Your question

EVGA 9800GT Pink Artifacts

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2011 6:50:24 PM

Hello,

About a month ago I started noticing horizontal lines made of small vertical pink bars appearing on my screen (in the white sections mostly).

After some time I got more artifacts of the same kind until the point where after playing a game, the screen would go black telling me there's no more video signal. I was able to restart the PC every time but after 4 days it reached the point where it ended with all kind of artifacts (white squares, blue, resolution locked to 800x600) which made the whole thing unusable.

I plugged the video card with another cable to another screen. Same stuff. I concluded that this was my graphic card ( an EVGA E-GEFORCE 9800GT 600MHZ 512MB) and therefore ordered the MSI GeForce GTX 460 Fermi Cyclone as a replacement.

After I plugged the new GC on the MB, it took quiet some time before it would start (the power button refused to work) until it suddenly started and the MB bipped telling me no VGA was found. After checking all the cables, making sure everything was plugged correctly, putting the GC in and out, it kept doing that for some time until it finally worked.

Now the whole thing is working, installed the driver and after an hour or so I started noticing the same kind of artifacts than at the beginning with my old GC :( .

Any idea what can it be? My MB PCI Express slot? My PSU? My RAM?

My config:
ASUS P5QL Pro ATX LGA775 P43
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200
PSU Ultra 500w V-Series Black

Thanks,
Paul
April 27, 2011 7:14:49 PM

Make sure you have cleaned out all the residual drivers. Driversweeper is a program that can help you do this.

1. Uninstall your video drivers.

2. Reboot and run DriverSweeper which will clean out anything left over.

3. Reboot and install new drivers.

If the problem persists, check it on another screen again, then on another computer if available. If it persists under those conditions, RMA the card. I'd be surprised to see two Pink Panther cards but you never know.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 27, 2011 8:43:28 PM

Drivers are not the cause of this, I am still using old drivers that I installed over a year ago with out issue that were meant for ati while for nvidia still not an issue either. Looking at the brand of your psu and known complaints of issues from that brand that could easily be the culprit. Low voltages on the 12v rails can produce some odd but well documented effects such as artifacts to locking up ect. Also poor thermals can and do degrade cards over time if they overheat.
m
l
Related resources
April 27, 2011 10:44:37 PM

Thanks for the help guys, very much appreciated.

Well I found some mixed review about my PSU. Even though it's quiet old (2005), the BIOS shows good voltage for the 12v rails (12,06). Now I found out that for my new card, the 12v rails does not deliver enough (PSU gives 28A and GC needs 32A) but still, I assume that this would cause some problems only during any intensive GPU usage.

My case is well ventilated even though I just found out that my CPU runs at 58 degrees (Celsius) idle which I find quiet high. The MB is at 23.

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
April 28, 2011 3:15:06 AM

What are the voltages in windows? Speed fan works give it a try. 32ax12v=384w
Typical 65nm 9800gt uses 84w same as the 5770 and 3870. GTX 460 1gb uses 160w while the 768mb version uses 10w less.
m
l
!