Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Radeon HD 5850 Low Performance

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 27, 2011 7:38:43 PM

Radeon 5850 ultra low peformance. Please help.

3DMark 06 score 12800+ (1280x1024)

Furmak 1.70 SCORE:3198 points (60000 ms)
Resolution: 1680x1050 (FS) - MSAA: 4X
FPS: min=45 max=75 avg=53

Resident Evil 5 800x600(all lowest setting) 90fps only DX10/DX9
(Somehow i cannot change the resolution of RE5 higher or lower) Fixed to 800x600 at game settings. Game problem?

Starcraft2 (all max @1680x1050) runs smoothly.

My system:
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
Pentium Dual Core E2160 @ 3GHZ (oc)
4x 1gb KVR 800
Enermax 460W 12v1_22A 12v2_20A
ATi Radeon HD 5850 (Core:765MHz - Mem:1115MHz)
Monitor Samsung 22 inch 1680x1050max
WD Caviar Black 1gb
Win7 ultimate 32bit
Latest CCC installed. Catalyst 11.3 - 8.831.2-110308a-115927C-ATI (3-8-2011)

PC never lag/shut down when playing games. Guess my psu is sufficient?
GPU Temperature Min 39 Max 61 @ 50% fanspeed
Guess not temperature problem?

Which component(s) is the biggest bottleneck or it could be a faulty 5850?
Upgrade processor to Q9450 could improve perfomance significantly?
Should i buy a higher psu?
Or upgrade to performance ram?
Need more tests? Which one?

The 5850 is benchmarking <40% of the norm!
Please advice.
April 27, 2011 11:12:59 PM

I believe that the CPU is heavily bottlenecking your system, so yes an upgrade to the Q9450 should fix your problems
Score

Best solution

April 28, 2011 3:09:12 AM

your CPU is a HUGE bottleneck. You could upgrade the processor but its not very cost effective unless you can find a second hand Q9xxx processor for cheap. A Q9xxx processor at 3ghz+ will make it run a lot better. Even something like a core 2 duo e7600 would be a good step up and can be overclocked to 4ghz. Many of todays games benefit lots from a quad core cpu though.
Related resources
April 28, 2011 4:12:52 AM

The CPU is pretty slow for a video card of that performance. Get a Qxxxx CPU and that will fix it.
Score
April 28, 2011 4:53:34 AM

Thx for the advice.

I'm buying a Q9450. Another alternative will be E8600.
Which is better?

Btw, am worried my psu will not handle my system. How do i know if my psu is overvoltage? So far no signs yet. No lag/jitter/artifacts/shutdown.
Score
April 28, 2011 6:10:05 AM

qiyi said:
Thx for the advice.

I'm buying a Q9450. Another alternative will be E8600.
Which is better?

Btw, am worried my psu will not handle my system. How do i know if my psu is overvoltage? So far no signs yet. No lag/jitter/artifacts/shutdown.

I think you might want a better PSU. The one you have isn't great, and might not last long. But hey, who knows. Just to be on the safe side, I would get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Just don't try and CF on taht PSU. It would be good for one card though.
Score
April 28, 2011 7:02:26 AM

HostileDonut said:
I think you might want a better PSU. The one you have isn't great, and might not last long. But hey, who knows. Just to be on the safe side, I would get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Just don't try and CF on taht PSU. It would be good for one card though.

Is it necessary to change my psu now? What will happen for undervoltaging my gc/pc? Will it burn out my components?
That is 600w you're recommending. Will go straight to 750w (corsair or silverstone) for about $140 if i plan to upgrade my psu.

Btw, some1 offer e8600 $100 or Q9450 $150.
Which should i take? :??: 
Score
April 28, 2011 12:43:50 PM

enermax make pretty decent psu's. it should be ok.
Score
April 28, 2011 1:26:43 PM

take the Q9450, try to get the price down a little bit and then OC it because at a low resolution like that you need all the CPU power you can get to not bottleneck that card.
Score
April 28, 2011 2:10:48 PM

Derbixrace said:
take the Q9450, try to get the price down a little bit and then OC it because at a low resolution like that you need all the CPU power you can get to not bottleneck that card.

Am hoping to get better price. Time matter i guess. With the core i5/i7 and ddr3 all running around, price should be down.

Is the q9450 power hunger? I mean at idle or low processing time compared to e8600. I tend to leave my pc on for hours everyday when i dl.
Score
April 28, 2011 4:19:52 PM

qiyi said:
Is it necessary to change my psu now? What will happen for undervoltaging my gc/pc? Will it burn out my components?
That is 600w you're recommending. Will go straight to 750w (corsair or silverstone) for about $140 if i plan to upgrade my psu.

Btw, some1 offer e8600 $100 or Q9450 $150.
Which should i take? :??: 

Well, I just didn't think Enermax make good PSUs. You don't need to change now, you just don't want to lose your system. I changed my PSU for the same reason. I would get the q9450, more cores for later games.
Score
April 30, 2011 6:58:51 PM

OH NAN ur Being HEAVILY BOTTLENECK BY UR CPU , its 100% , & dont get Q series of intel ,

JUST UPGRADE ur CPu to Phenom 2 , if u want intel wait till sandybridge fix its SATA 2 problesm on its Boards then Buy it ,

but Phenom would be Great option , Phenom 955 BE or higher will Cover ur needs

Ur CPU is TOO SLOW FOR UR VGA CARD ! U SHOULD Have Buy Totaly new System when u Grab new VGA card !
Score
April 30, 2011 10:41:58 PM

nanoguy said:
OH NAN ur Being HEAVILY BOTTLENECK BY UR CPU , its 100% , & dont get Q series of intel ,

JUST UPGRADE ur CPu to Phenom 2 , if u want intel wait till sandybridge fix its SATA 2 problesm on its Boards then Buy it ,

Ur CPU is TOO SLOW FOR UR VGA CARD ! U SHOULD Have Buy Totaly new System when u Grab new VGA card !

Intel fixed the issues months ago...
Score
April 30, 2011 11:21:07 PM

nanoguy said:

^ dont listen to this guy he clearly doesnt know what he is on about. a phenom 2 is almost the same performance clock for clock as the q9xxx series.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=51
Score
May 1, 2011 12:24:31 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
^ dont listen to this guy he clearly doesnt know what he is on about. a phenom 2 is almost the same performance clock for clock as the q9xxx series.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=51

Yup. He doesn't really now what he is talking about...
Score
May 1, 2011 11:06:50 AM

Hmmm, its seem u guys Like Older Stuff ! huh ? q Series is out !! They R no more , because they were running to Hot ! & they dont have L3 cache no matter if they had 12Mb L2 !

Phenom is Better & newer Option , & its faster than Q 9500 EVEN ! !!! go see ANADTECH for Ur SELF !

6870 & 5850 are close to Each other , but since 6870 is out , everyone go for it ! NEWER IS BETTER !

Hey Bro , Phenom 955 BE is available for Great price , Does Intel Platforms will cost u much more, no body goes for Q series Anymore !

I was oing for Q9400 , NO body Suggested me to do that Stupid Movie ! OLD + hot + less Features !
Score
May 1, 2011 3:55:28 PM

nanoguy said:
Hmmm, its seem u guys Like Older Stuff ! huh ? q Series is out !! They R no more , because they were running to Hot ! & they dont have L3 cache no matter if they had 12Mb L2 !

Phenom is Better & newer Option , & its faster than Q 9500 EVEN ! !!! go see ANADTECH for Ur SELF !

6870 & 5850 are close to Each other , but since 6870 is out , everyone go for it ! NEWER IS BETTER !

Hey Bro , Phenom 955 BE is available for Great price , Does Intel Platforms will cost u much more, no body goes for Q series Anymore !

I was oing for Q9400 , NO body Suggested me to do that Stupid Movie ! OLD + hot + less Features !

Yes, you have NO idea. He doesn't want to buy a new mobo, RAM, and CPU, he just wants a new CPU that will work for him. Yes, Phenom II is better, but not for his budget. I could recommend a whole new system, and yeah a whole new system would be nice, but is it worth it? NO! By the way, learn how to spell...... :pfff:  By the way, you just appeal to the people and buy new stuff, and then recommend it even though it is not worth it for him.
Score
May 1, 2011 6:52:02 PM

If his On Budget then Q series is Great way ! but If he can grab new SYSTem it Will be Totaly better for him !

Maybe ur English Guy or Maybe u have English Knowledge from classes or Somewhere ! but I Learnt English By my Self , PC & Movies helped me in this Way ! so dont Judge too fast !

After that , His mobo is ddr 2 , ddr 3 is Much better ( larger Bandwidth for transfer 5850's Data ! ) , better mobo means Better Match & faster option for NEwer hardwares !

Hey bor , if u buy Q9 series U will Solve Ur Bottleneck but , You should know that Totaly new SYSTEM will let ur Hardwares be as Fast as ur Vga card & that means u wont Have Any Bottleneck or Slowdowns !

If u think i am Wrong then i will leave this Thread ! all i wanted was to Help OP , because I UNDERSTAND Him BECAUSE i was On same Condition ! & i am too happy That i didnt grab Q9400 & waited , collected more Money & finally Bought NEW RIG !

newcomer word doesnt Mean Poor knowledge , it means I came later tahn u Guys , but I might Have more Knowledge than u ?
Score
May 1, 2011 7:07:47 PM

nanoguy said:
newcomer word doesnt Mean Poor knowledge , it means I came later tahn u Guys , but I might Have more Knowledge than u ?

That's not what I've seen and how many accounts have you had now?
Score
May 1, 2011 10:24:48 PM

nanoguy said:
If his On Budget then Q series is Great way ! but If he can grab new SYSTem it Will be Totaly better for him !

Maybe ur English Guy or Maybe u have English Knowledge from classes or Somewhere ! but I Learnt English By my Self , PC & Movies helped me in this Way ! so dont Judge too fast !

After that , His mobo is ddr 2 , ddr 3 is Much better ( larger Bandwidth for transfer 5850's Data ! ) , better mobo means Better Match & faster option for NEwer hardwares !

Hey bor , if u buy Q9 series U will Solve Ur Bottleneck but , You should know that Totaly new SYSTEM will let ur Hardwares be as Fast as ur Vga card & that means u wont Have Any Bottleneck or Slowdowns !

If u think i am Wrong then i will leave this Thread ! all i wanted was to Help OP , because I UNDERSTAND Him BECAUSE i was On same Condition ! & i am too happy That i didnt grab Q9400 & waited , collected more Money & finally Bought NEW RIG !

Maybe I judged to quickly, but PLEASE spell out your words. Spell "your", Y,O,U,R, not U,R. Obviously DDR3 is better than DDR2, but if he doesn't want to spend all that money. If you want him to get a new system, why don't you just tell him to buy a core i7 based machine, with water cooling, 24gb 2200Mhz RAM, 2 hd6990s, and all that good stuff? BECAUSE HE DOESN'T HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY! You need to think about the OPs needs before you start blabbing about how you want him to spend a lot of money on something he doesn't need. PII and C2 are almost the same clock for clock, so he should get a C2Q because that would work better for his situation. Yes, I think you are wrong... Please, we would love your help, but if he doesn't have that kind of money to spend, or list it as an option, don't suggest it. Now, I am not trying to be mean, so please, don't be mad.
Score
May 2, 2011 4:30:02 PM

Understood , Butaway , MouseMonkey I asked you to Become Friendly , dont ban me again , i realy love this site & i no Longer Break any Rules ,

I mean if you want to ban me then Go ahead ! its your Choice . But you can Forget everything ! as Jesus says Forgive to be Forgiven !
Score
May 2, 2011 4:31:41 PM

No no no , i Say he CAn WAIT & Collect his Money ! if he realy cant Buy that rig For Now & for Future then Q series will be the BEST OPTION TO SOLVE ThAT BOTTLENECK & KEEP 5850 in good Condition !

WHats wrong with Spelling You like this ( U ) ?
its easier better & takes less Place in text ! But i will do as you say guys !
Score
May 2, 2011 5:17:25 PM

Well as already pointed out the CPU is a bottleneck, but that's definitely largely an issue with the super low resolution. In RE5 for example at 1080p I got 120 FPS with my i5 750 OCed to 3.7ghz and by adding a second card the FPS only went up by 5... clearly CPU bottleneck. Similar results with FurMark when I ran it at a lower res but once I went full screen 1080p I saw the improvement increase from about 2% to 90% (single vs CF).

That said, there's much better CPUs out there. A quad is nice but even a faster dual core would help quite a bit. I only really say that because the C2Qs are still expensive, far pricier than they're really worth IMO.
Score
May 3, 2011 12:21:36 AM

nanoguy said:
No no no , i Say he CAn WAIT & Collect his Money ! if he realy cant Buy that rig For Now & for Future then Q series will be the BEST OPTION TO SOLVE ThAT BOTTLENECK & KEEP 5850 in good Condition !

WHats wrong with Spelling You like this ( U ) ?
its easier better & takes less Place in text ! But i will do as you say guys !

The reason is because it makes it hard to read it. Also, if he saved his money, he would be getting low FPS for a long time and I am sure would not like that.
Score
May 3, 2011 4:38:36 AM

nanoguy said:

you have poor knowledge because as shown by this graph, a phenom II at 3ghz is slower for gaming than a 3gz core 2 quad http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/80?vs=49
also for gaming you can see there is minimal impact on gaming for ddr2 vs ddr3 as shown here http://www.anandtech.com/show/2232/7 here http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr3_6.... and here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245145-30-ddr2-ddr3
Now you can add that to your knowledge and shut up about telling him to buy a whole new computer for a 2% performance gain over just upgrading his cpu.
Score
May 3, 2011 5:08:22 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
you have poor knowledge because as shown by this graph, a phenom II at 3ghz is slower for gaming than a 3gz core 2 quad http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/80?vs=49
also for gaming you can see there is minimal impact on gaming for ddr2 vs ddr3 as shown here http://www.anandtech.com/show/2232/7 here http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr3_6.... and here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245145-30-ddr2-ddr3
Now you can add that to your knowledge and shut up about telling him to buy a whole new computer for a 2% performance gain over just upgrading his cpu.

Well, I have to say he wasn't giving good advice, but you could be nicer. Maybe a little? :whistle: 
Score
May 3, 2011 11:43:40 AM

sure i could be nicer, but the guy was excessively using exclamations and caps and trying to dictate beliefs rather than facts. he deserves a little bit of crap.
Score
May 3, 2011 5:34:43 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
sure i could be nicer, but the guy was excessively using exclamations and caps and trying to dictate beliefs rather than facts. he deserves a little bit of crap.

Yes, I agree, but maybe he doesn't know how to use them because he taught himself English.
Score
May 8, 2011 2:02:25 AM

Best answer selected by qiyi.
Score
May 8, 2011 2:05:42 AM

Best Answer by iam2thecrowe.
Will upgrade my processor and psu asap.
Thanks guys!
Score
May 8, 2011 6:12:48 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score