Sign in with
Your question

Can a cheap PS be the cause of blown motherboard capacitors?

Last response: in Components
October 6, 2011 3:21:48 PM

So I have 2 blown caps on my asus p5rd1vm, most likely a bad PS too or so I hear. My first PS lasted 2 years or so, then I upgraded to a CoolMax 500W, that lasted about 8 months. It was around $150 from a computer store. Was it just that it was a junk PS causing one cap to buldge and the other to leak slightly? I am wondering because It is only $75 to get the caps replaced but they want to sell me a new 460W PS for 60 bucks. So my other question is.. is that $60 PS going to end up popping more caps, maybe even explode one and wreck my mobo for good this time? I love this board and it has never done me wrong. Thank you for reading, any advice will be greatly appreciated.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2011 3:46:11 PM

i wouldnt see a psu blowing a capacitor... it couldve been true conincedence that it blew... i wouldnt be quick to blame the psu unless it happens again... i would be more quick to blame poor assembly
m
l
October 6, 2011 3:58:31 PM

Would a $60 PS be alright then?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2011 4:00:19 PM

truthfully, if you want to spend the money on a new one, go ahead but if your old one is working you may as well stick with it
m
l
October 6, 2011 4:03:11 PM

So theres no way my PS was the cause, just laziness on the assembly line, poor quality capacitors.
m
l
October 6, 2011 4:11:57 PM

sorry I meant to put a ??
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
a c 117 V Motherboard
October 6, 2011 4:55:40 PM

waldolandry said:
So I have 2 blown caps on my asus p5rd1vm, most likely a bad PS too or so I hear. My first PS lasted 2 years or so, then I upgraded to a CoolMax 500W, that lasted about 8 months. It was around $150 from a computer store. Was it just that it was a junk PS causing one cap to buldge and the other to leak slightly? I am wondering because It is only $75 to get the caps replaced but they want to sell me a new 460W PS for 60 bucks. So my other question is.. is that $60 PS going to end up popping more caps, maybe even explode one and wreck my mobo for good this time? I love this board and it has never done me wrong. Thank you for reading, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Jeez! where are you shopping? prices leave much to be desired.
Coolmax and lower end CoolerMaster psu's are to be avoided if no other alternatives exist.
Find an Antec or Corsair unit that meets your system requirements.
$75 is kinda expensive to replace two caps,you could by a new 775 board for that and have a warranty as well.
I know the supply to source a 775 board is getting harder to find but they still are available in U.S. and Canada.
Chances are if two caps went more are sure to follow imo.
Find a new board and buy a reliable psu from either makers i mentioned earlier.
I wouldn't throw money at a 775 platform in 2011/2012 personally.
m
l
October 6, 2011 5:12:25 PM

My issue is that I know this board is a great mobo and unless I can find the same one to replace it I dont want the hassle of removing and installing a new one. Or the hourly rate of having that done probably end up spending more even if I found an equal match. Do you really think that the others will go too? I mean the rest look fine as long as I check up on them once and awhile so I dont totally blow one. Also planing on not leaving my PC on for weeks straight anymore, lol. I guess that might have caused them to wear out, it has been awhile since I bought the thing. Maybe the $75 holds true for a full re-cap of the board. What do you think? Its a pain to shop for stuff on my ps3 too.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2011 6:22:06 PM

PSU's don't blow motherboard capacitors. Motherboard manufacturers using cheap/faulty capacitors is why they blow.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2011 6:49:21 PM

NO the $75 will not cover re cap the whole board. The price is probably about right.
Side comment MBs are generally classed as throw away items as cost of repair normally exceedes the replacement cost. Also see comment (3) below.

Couple of comments:
(1) While the PSU could contribute to this (ie excessive spikes or ripple on the output rails, My best guess is cheap AS^&%% parts. There have been several MBs that have had capacitors go bad due to poor quality electrolytic caps.

(2) When a capacitor goes bad (normally it is a electrolytic) there is a good chance that (A) something caused it (except for the poor quality or underrated part often found on cheaper MBs), and that needs to be addressed or (B) it has damaged other component(s). This may show up as soon as the caps are replaced, or produced a ticking / walking time bomb.

(3) Vast majority of "repair shops" have niether the test equipment, nor the expertise to truely evaluate on board circuit components above the "obvious" defects.

My recommendations:
(1) Get a quality PSU!! You did not state what your current /anticipated system is /will be, so can not recomment wattage.
(2) Do not get repaired, bite the bullet and replace. I Know this is NOT what you want to hear and I understand your motives.
m
l
October 6, 2011 7:31:06 PM

yes cheap power supplies CAN blow the capacitors on the INPUT side of the VRM circuit. these would be the usually larger capacitors near the cpu, and a few other areas of the board. If its the capacitors on the output side of the VRM, it is likely bad caps, or a heat issue. have a look around the badcaps.net website and learn something. The reason capacitors "pop" is the internal pressure gets too high. This can be cause by the stolen bad electrolyte formula, or overheating and boiling of the electrolyte. Some cheap powersupplies have high ripple currents, and possibly high short durration spikes, which when coupled together can overheat and blow capacitors.

BTW, you got R@PED for that coolermaster powersupply
m
l
October 6, 2011 8:16:55 PM

So if I had them replace all of the capacitors on there would it probably be safe to say I could get a few more years before I go through with a new mobo? Assuming the caps just overheated or were affected by the PS voltages? After searching, these socket 775 are hard to come by, unless I want to buy new ram and a sata drive newegg has 0, 775, 184 pin ddr400 boards and even if I buy new ram I know ill end up having to get the whole shabang anyways.. cant really afford that. May as well buy a combo board and save just the hd and the dvd drive, and thats no fun lol.
m
l
October 6, 2011 8:27:46 PM

waldolandry said:
So if I had them replace all of the capacitors on there would it probably be safe to say I could get a few more years before I go through with a new mobo? Assuming the caps just overheated or were affected by the PS voltages? After searching, these socket 775 are hard to come by, unless I want to buy new ram and a sata drive newegg has 0, 775, 184 pin ddr400 boards and even if I buy new ram I know ill end up having to get the whole shabang anyways.. cant really afford that. May as well buy a combo board and save just the hd and the dvd drive, and thats no fun lol.

as long as the components put in are good, and the solder job is good, then you could use this board for the next decade! personally, i would post a picture of the board at badcaps.net, with a couple of close ups of the capacitors, and ask them thier opinion of why the capacitors blew. also find out the exact brand and model capacitors this company is putting in. there are some excelent capacitor gurus over there, and i have learned alot, but theres still a ton more to learn.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2011 8:29:08 PM

@ inuyasha-rules I hope you where not refering to me with the Comment "have a look around the badcaps.net website and learn something" Because I dought that very seriously.

(1) I did indicate that ripple and spikes from a PSU could contribute to this Maybe I should have added "and Yes if really excessive could cause it"

(2) As to my knowledge:
.. Taught electronics for 10+ years which included: How to calculate the internal power dissipated in a capacitor given the amplitude and the frequency of the ripple. as this is what cause the temperature increase inside the Capacitor over and above the normal leakage current which is much higher for electrolytic than say silver mica caps. Also taught series regulated, shunt regulated, and switching power supplies.
.. Head of the digital electronic dept @ a community college for 2 years
.. Spent the last 20 years as the lead Technician for two satellites, data collection system aboard a research 737, ect
.. Currently the test engineer for a satellite instrument.
m
l
October 6, 2011 8:48:06 PM

it was mostly to nna2, davcon, and mavroxur talking out thier @$$ about crap they know nothing about. personally i have never recapped a motherboard, but have recapped both my routers, all 3 of my network switches, and done tons more electronics repairs on anything from TVs to amplifiers. just remember expierience doesnt mean *** if your out of your league like the 3 people i named are.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
October 6, 2011 8:53:33 PM

^ yea I also spent a couple of years repairing TV (The OLD Vacuum tube models) while I was learning electronics.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2011 1:49:50 PM

inuyasha-rules said:
it was mostly to nna2, davcon, and mavroxur talking out thier @$$ about crap they know nothing about. personally i have never recapped a motherboard, but have recapped both my routers, all 3 of my network switches, and done tons more electronics repairs on anything from TVs to amplifiers. just remember expierience doesnt mean *** if your out of your league like the 3 people i named are.

Just me, talking out my ass, with over 18 years of PC and general component-level electronics repair experience. I've never seen a bad power supply in a PC cause blown motherboard caps. It's always been the crappy knock-off electrolyte capacitors blowing on their own due to gasification of the electrolyte. While obviously a high ripple current can cause capacitors to explode, it's been my experience that in PC's, that's generally not the reason. If the ripple current was high enough to do that, you'd have other devices failing to work properly way before you were able to overheat and pop motherboard caps. And after recapping literally hundredes of motherboards and monitors over the years, it's *always* been the crappy knock-off caps failing due to poor design.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
October 7, 2011 2:44:32 PM

^ It does not pay to make statements like inuyasha-rules wrote "it was mostly to nna2, davcon, and mavroxur talking out thier @$$"
You just end up sticking your foot in your mouth as You do NOT know the level of expertise of the other members.

Could only defend myself for that same reason.
I could have boiled my experience down to 45 Years which included teaching the; Block analysis, circuit analysis and troubleshooting to component level 3 different radar systems. And have been awarded more SH in electronics than what a EE has.
m
l
October 7, 2011 2:46:26 PM

If you can order online lga775 boards arent expensive and you can pick up a decent amount of ram for 20 bucks. It really isn't worth re-capping that board.
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
a c 117 V Motherboard
October 12, 2011 1:53:10 AM

Lol!
All i said was the OP could buy a better quality psu and replace the mobo.
Which is basically the most intelligent action!
Damn my ass is smart!
TP for my bunghole!
m
l
!