Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Horrible Experience with Asus's P6x58d, Replacement suggestions?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 29, 2012 11:17:40 AM

Hi guys, first of all i would like to say ive owned my rig now for about 2 years the first year it was awesome no problems, then i found out my copy of windows was not genuine, long story short i stopped using it, and neglected my pc for about a year.

after then turning it on again and using it, it shut off one day and no longer wanted to "boot" i began troubleshooting it and now after much trial and error i figured out that i have a faulty motherboard. ITS THE SECOND ONE I BOUGHT FROM NEWEGG WITH ISSUES!!! apparently through a little research many other people have had similar issues with this motherboard after buying it from newegg.

Either way i bought two P6's (the first was Rmad and the second messed up after a year passed with no usage) and both have had issues from newegg. Which leads me to my question which is, what is a motherboard that you guys can recommend that is better/more reliable and can be purchased at microcenter that way if something does go wrong i can replace it quicker and also it must be compatible with my rig. and it must be under 350 dollars thats as high as im willing to go for a motherboard

My Rig

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2M080G2XXX 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - OEM

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

XCLIO Windtunnel Fully Black Finish 1.0 mm SECC Chassis ATX Full Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 29, 2012 12:59:32 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

Hmm...I own 11 ASUS P6X58D-E for my office and one at home -- flawless, knock on wood, for 2+ years. If a PC is going to be off or you're going to gone for a long time then I strongly recommend unplugging it, and in addition use an UPS. Chances are your PSU is the problem and could have been damaged by a power spikes or lightning.

I live in Florida and anything electronic that I care about is filtered from the power grid via an UPS - yep I have a lot of UPS.

The MOBO carries a 3 year warranty and chances are it's under warranty -- contact ASUS and meanwhile I'd think about doing the same with the 850TX. NewEgg sells the ASUS P6X58D-E PRO and last time I looked that would be my pick.
Score
June 29, 2012 7:01:34 PM

Hey jaquith thxs for the reply i appreciate it, a little more info the power supply is fine everything lights up it just wont boot into bios or windows, at first the problem was "after it turned off" and endless restart loop. Now it just turns on with no beeps or anything.

But either way i have narrowed it down to either the cpu or mobo, with no way to test a new mobo or a new cpu i have deduced from others with similar problems its the mobo.

I have looked up the P6X58D-E PRO and microcenter does carry it. Ima take my rig over there and see if they can confirm its the mobo, so i can purchase that one.

Quick question though, is that mobo better? Faster? And more reliable?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
June 29, 2012 8:15:55 PM

PSU - try this, unplug from the outlet for 10-15 minutes then plug it back in and if the 'post time' last longer it's the PSU. I've had a bad HX850 ruin my MOBO and 2 HDD's so even Corsair can screw-up. So in my case it was multiple failures rooted in by the PSU.

The only way to know is to know the signs of failing behavior and/or replace part(s) with known good.

Further, I'm a little fuzzy what EXACT ASUS 'P6X58D'? There are (4) versions: -E, -E PRO, -E Premium and -E WS. All of them are good. Anytime I see multiple supposed MOBO failures the brain goes 'alert' because the failure rates are ~2% so 2% of 2% is 0.04%.

Have you tried to 'properly' Clear CMOS? Most folks do it incorrectly. Unplug the PSU from the outlet, most ASUS 'P6X58D' series have a button 'Clr CMOS' @ the rear I/O, hold it in for 10 seconds then release, plug the PSU back into the outlet and try again; nice video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

The P6X58D-E PRO is one of the most reliable X58's and much better than Gigabyte or MSI the only other X58 that was really good were the EVGA's. Looking at Micro Center website they ONLY carry the P6X58D-E PRO; alternative is NewEgg EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 (Lifetime Warranty) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 29, 2012 10:37:56 PM

Best answer selected by Grizdom.
Score
June 29, 2012 10:42:06 PM

dude.......funny freakin story so i took your recommendation and pressed and held the restart button on the mem and the other one and thought "either way f this im taking it too microcenter" long story short..it worked as soon as the guy from microcenter turned it on (im an idiot for not double checking). im glad i didnt have to spend the 200 bucks buying a new one or similar.

either way you have given me some awesome advice dude and i will post another thread about buying a vid card that i hope you answer too thxs man!
Score
June 29, 2012 10:43:31 PM

and as far as the version goes i have the p6x58 premium
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 29, 2012 11:05:55 PM

Glad it worked out! :sol: 
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 2, 2012 4:13:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score