GPU Overclocking - Noob Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoStar

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
I have a question about Overclocking graphics cards. Probably a total noob question, but we all have to start somewhere.

When overclocking a GPU, can a factory OCed card and a reference card be overclocked to the same speed?

For Example, I am considering buy either one of these

ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti

ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti Factory Overclocked

Like would they both be able to only hit 950 Mhz for example, or would the Factory OCed card be able to be clocked higher because it starts higher?

The easy way to say it, would be, If I were going to overclock myself, will I see any benefit from buying the Factory OCed card?

Thanks in advance,
PsychoStar

Solution
Most of the time, yes. However, for higher-overclocked GPU's, the vendors tend to bin or sort through their supply of GPU's to find chips that can handle the higher clocks. I know that EVGA did this for their SSC and FTW series of graphics cards and Gigabyte does it for their Super Overclock Series.

A lot of people find it a waste of money to pay more for a card that's been overclocked only a couple MHz that you could do yourself with a reference-design cards. It's really up to you whether you want to pay more for a factory-overclocked card.

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Most of the time, yes. However, for higher-overclocked GPU's, the vendors tend to bin or sort through their supply of GPU's to find chips that can handle the higher clocks. I know that EVGA did this for their SSC and FTW series of graphics cards and Gigabyte does it for their Super Overclock Series.

A lot of people find it a waste of money to pay more for a card that's been overclocked only a couple MHz that you could do yourself with a reference-design cards. It's really up to you whether you want to pay more for a factory-overclocked card.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.