Pc will not boot up after case change and 20 mins of diablo 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKunle

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Hi guys,

So I just changed cases from a standard micro atx case to a gaming midi tower case after doing this the pc ran just fine.

I played diablo 3 for a bit and all the while noticed my cpu temp increasing above 60 Celsius. After like 20 mins of game play the pc just cut out. So I waited a bit turned the power off then turned it on the pc just wouldn't start it would spin the fans beep once and then repeat.

This carried on for about 30 mins so I turned the power ff removed the cables and plugged them back in again. This time the pc doesn't even respond.

At this point got a little pee'ed off so left it and then next day I tested the psu (using the paperclip method) and it works just fine so I'm starting to think its the mother board that is the problem.

My question is are there anymore tests I can perform to be 100% sure its the motherboard and not anything else? Also was their anything I might have done during the process of moving the rig to a new case that might be the problem.

Solution
If you changed cases and you played something for a while then there wasn't anything messed up during the change over. If there had been, then it wouldn't have booted at all.

However, I can guarantee you nothing in regards to the motherboard.

I would suggest trying to borrow a PSU from somewhere and test it in the PC.

Failing that, you might try removing the video card and trying to turn the computer on.

A PSU has to be able to put out X amount of power in order to jump start the computer, so there is a huge swath of wattages that fall under that figure that are above the amount needed to start the PSU with the paperclip method.

If it fell in the middle of that at any point, a paper clip would turn it on and the computer couldn't...
If you changed cases and you played something for a while then there wasn't anything messed up during the change over. If there had been, then it wouldn't have booted at all.

However, I can guarantee you nothing in regards to the motherboard.

I would suggest trying to borrow a PSU from somewhere and test it in the PC.

Failing that, you might try removing the video card and trying to turn the computer on.

A PSU has to be able to put out X amount of power in order to jump start the computer, so there is a huge swath of wattages that fall under that figure that are above the amount needed to start the PSU with the paperclip method.

If it fell in the middle of that at any point, a paper clip would turn it on and the computer couldn't start with it.

The CPU temp shouldn't prevent your computer from coming on again. Once it had a chance to cool down it should work no problem until the next time it overheated. You probably will want to reapply the paste or something to fix this problem. Perhaps also the processor fan isn't attached solidly, you will want to check that as well after you redo the paste.

Also, if you are redoing the paste, I would suggest you do the one drop in the center method and let the cooler spread the paste. You will need about as much paste as the size of a lentil. Only as large as a pea is too little.

Anyway, if you try a different PSU or with no video card or both then report back on the results of those tests.

Solution

MrKunle

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Its a brand new ocz 600 watt psu. Also I have said that it can run the pc. it ran it for 20 mins then the whole pc just crashed.

Yeah, I've seen that. First it worked, than it shut down the system.

Brand new Corsair 650W.

Not saying that's what u have, but it is one of possibilities.

MrKunle

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I've tried my old psu with the new case and putting the whole set up back into the old one both have had no effects and when i test the psu's on the fans they work perfectly. As soon as I place the 24 pin and 8 pin or 4pin connectors to the motherboard nothing happens its like the psu doesnt work anymore

MrKunle

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Well I have reset the cmos I think I removed the battery for 1 minute and nothing happened i didn't do the jumper thing because I cant find the jumper I can only see the two err metal rods

MrKunle

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Okay done now the wait....In the meantime What motherboard would you guys recommend on a budget of £100 and I had an i5 clocked at 2.67Ghz and a asus radeon hd 6870 with 12 gb ram

Status
Not open for further replies.