Hard drive

I would like to remove the hard drive from my old (crashed) computer and transfer the data on it to a external hard drive. Is there a case that I should put the hard drive in? If so what is it called and where do I buy it? How do I transfer the data once I do that? I am very ignorant about computer stuff but I know I can pull out the hard drive.
4 answers Last reply
More about hard drive
  1. Hi

    you need to state if the hard disk is 2.5" or 3.5" format / size

    then state if hard drive controller interface is parallel = ATA = IDE or alternatively SATA



    You then need a USB to ATA/IDE or USB to SATA interface + enclosure (case)

    for 3.5" drives you will find some case that takes both SATA & ATA/IDE drives
    usually 2.5" adapters do not need a power supply(as they can get power from the USB port) but 3.5" drives need a power supply

    examples (uk suplier)

    Then you plug the usb cable into the new PC and access the data


    Mike Barnes
  2. hi, Thanks, I think it is a 3.5 because it does need power and it is SATA. Here is the thing...I didn't have microsoft office loaded onto my new computer before I tried to transfer the data. Is this why I cannot see anything that may have been transfered? I hooked it all up but then saw nothing transfered on my new computer. What could I be doing wrong. Also I did have a blue screen with a msg that said basically "STOP registry file failure, registry cannot load hive file blah blah blah" also "collecting data for crash dump initializing disk for crash dump......" also "windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change is probably the problem. I dont know if my hard drive was damaged but a guy I spoke with said probably not that his got run over by his buick and it was fine. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to see if there is any data on the hard drive in the external enclosure? I am really at a loss. I really appreciate all of your help.
  3. Sorry, clarification all the messages were on my old computer after it crashed to the ground and I hooked it up to a monitor so that I could see, since my screen was badly damaged.
  4. Does the old rig have a model and a make or was it an assembled rig.
    All that you need to do is buy a multi purpose external enclosure, something like one of these things listed here


    that will fit your old HDD in.

    Switch on your new rig, see that all the programs for which you have documents saved in the old rig are installed in the new rig, so as to be able to identify by the icons that they are word, excel , pdf etc etc. and then when you connect this external enclosure to your new rig, you might be able to browse for it's contents if the HDD is not majorly damaged.
    Then all you need to do is copy the stuff you want onto your new rigs HDD in a new folder and then you can transfer them to a DVD or another good external HDD.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Hard Drives External Hard Drive Components