Installed GA-990XA-UD3 and 2 memory slots dont work

alexlongwell

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Ok, it was a noob move on my part, but I ordered this mobo and a case and threw parts from my previous build in to flesh it out, ie. HDD, Ram, CPU, GPU, making sure all were supported by the mobo. Im still somewhat of a novice when building computers. What I failed to note was my optical drive was IDE not sata and this mobo doesnt support it, I figured id just go pick up a sata one today after work and it wouldnt be a big deal.

Now i got everything working fine, except when I installed the 2x4gb ram in slots 1 and 3 i get 3 loong beeps that repeat, ok so i tried 2 and 4 with the same results. The I try just 1 stick in slot 4 (closest to the cpu) and it boots fine, then i put another stick in slot 3 and it works fine. I have 3x4gb sticks and all work if in slot 4 or 3 but not 2 or 1.

Now here is what has me thinking, since i didnt have a dvd drive i couldnt install the drivers from the disk that came with the mobo, also I couldnt do a repair or fresh install of Vista to get rid of my old motherboard drivers. My old motherboard only had 2 slots for memory and im wondering if this is what is causing the board not to recognise the other 2 slots.

Will getting the dvd drive and doing a repair or fresh install of windows then running the disk that came with the mobo fix this?

Or is this board faulty and needs to be RMA'ed. Any help would be appreciated.

AMD Phenom II 965 3.4 ghz
2x 4gb G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1333 (thou i have another 4gb not in use atm)
MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC
350 WD hard drive
650w psu