Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k gaming PC ~ $2500AUD

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2011 8:01:53 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: Tomorrow!

Budget Range: ~ $2500AUD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming > watching movies / shows > browsing the net

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'll be buying from arc.com.au - they assemble the systems, test and ship out

Country of Origin: Australia

Parts Preferences: A good 24" gaming monitor

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, it depends on the feedback you guys give for my video card option

Monitor Resolution: I'd like my monitor to have 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Budget needs to include monitor and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

I've come up with this so far and hoping for some critique. Primarily MMO gaming, I'll be getting BF3, Crysis 2, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 etc and I'm hoping to max it out at the above resolution.

CPU - Intel CORE i5 2500K/3.30GHz/6MB CACHE/LGA1155 CPU - no brainer

CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler - best air cooling solution or maybe second

Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V PRO - meant to be a good motherboard?

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GB x 2) PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600) XL 9-9-9-24-2N 1.5v - they didn't have the 7-7-7 in stock

Graphics card - Asus GF GTX 580 DirectCU II - I'd really like opinions on the best option here whether 570 SLI, 6950 / 70 Crossfire or stick with the single 580. I hear SLI / Crossfire can cause some headaches?

HDD - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black

Power supply - Corsair AX-850W ATX

Case - CoolerMaster HAF X 942

Monitor - Samsung 24" BX2450 LED

+ a LG Duallayer Blu-ray drive - I do plan on watching BR movies on it and they're pretty cheap

Altogether that build comes to about $2300

Suggestions? :D 

Edit: Forgot to put in the monitor.

More about : 2500k gaming 2500aud

July 10, 2011 8:18:41 AM

Just to be clear is your Edit saying you all ready have a monitor or that you need one?
m
l
July 10, 2011 8:22:01 AM

That list is entirely optional, I will be ordering tomorrow and that'd be my "default" items to order, so if you can't suggest anything better than that monitor (or anything else for that matter) for the price range I'd get that one. Sorry to confuse you.
m
l
Related resources
July 10, 2011 8:27:48 AM

Giving the system a quick once over I would say most of your choices are pretty spot on although I would ask if you feel comfortable putting your own system together because you could build what your talking about for less then 2300$ I'm not sure how much they are charging though. Two 6950/70 would really be over kill if you are planning to play mostly MMO's if you just want a a single card then the GTX 580 is a good choice. Although and some one might correct me here Two 6870's is faster then a 580 and cheaper so you might wanna think about that. I would keep in mind that although Multi cards can be nice if your gonna game at a high res you want a card with 2GB of on board memory , 2 x 1gb cards does not equal 2gb the same data is on both cards so with some very high settings and res you are gonna lose performance.
m
l
July 10, 2011 8:53:03 AM

I'd go with a Hanns-G 28" 1920x1200 monitor. ~$250 They do have some reliability/quality issues, but by far the best monitor for the money IMO.... Can't wait for the LED backlit ones to come out.
m
l
July 10, 2011 9:07:40 AM

On the note of monitors that's a REALLY good price although I will say I too have heard about problems with the Hanns monitor. I have a triple monitor set up and there all Acer there fantastic values fairly priced and iv never had one lick of trouble with any of the three I have now and they are the only kind of monitors I recommend fr friends and family any more. Acer H274HL BMID 27-Inch Widescreen LCD Display - Black $289 on amazon and you might be able to get a better deal you lose a inch and pay about 40 more but you get much better quality in my experience.
m
l
July 10, 2011 9:37:41 AM

I need 1200 vertical though, I wish I could get a 28" 1200 vertical LED and I'm not saying I'm a huge fan of Hanns-G, there are definitely some quality issues, but 1200 veritcal is huge difference for me. The panel is 3ms and 2nd gen has better contrast although nothing like LED backlit.

I wish ASUS/Viewsonic had a reasonably priced panel that supported > 1080. 1080 is great for movies, but not for development work and I prefer gaming in 1200, 16x10 is more natural aspect ratio I think.

I've owned a total of 4 of the Hanns-G I had 1 DOA, but Newegg replaced it free fo charge and I've had 1 die over 3 years of use. The first gen seemed to have capacitors issues, I have had no issues so far with 2nd gen.
m
l
July 10, 2011 10:18:21 AM

Just to give you an idea... if you wanted to build it yourself you could purchase the majority of those parts from MSY for:

CPU - Intel CORE i5 2500K = $214

CPU cooler - Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler - $104

Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V PRO - $245

Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws-X 8GB (4GB x 2) - $80

Graphics card - Asus GF GTX 580 - $525

HDD - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black - $87

Power supply - Corsair TX-850W ATX - $172

Case - CoolerMaster HAF 932 - $159

+ a LG Blu-ray Writer - $89

Total $1675

Have changed a couple of parts that they don't stock for similar.
m
l
July 10, 2011 11:00:37 AM

I checked out MSY before, the store closest to me (Cannington) didn't have a few of those parts in stock and currently don't deliver.

Also I'm not too confident in my PC building skills, never attempted it before. Anyone near Armadale help me out I'll pay ya :p 
m
l
July 10, 2011 12:04:23 PM

Sorry bro. I'm in SA... that would be a long drive. Perhaps just check your price against:

http://www.pccasegear.com/

They're pretty popular, but I don't know if they'll build it for you... I'm pretty sure they used to, but I can't see anywhere on their website? Might be worth an email.

Also... I have the BX2450. It's a solid screen does an amazing job displaying bright, vivid colours and has sharp image detail. Where it is not great (like many LEDs) is definition through blacks and dark areas. Anything that gets to within a certain level of black or dark colour, just flattens out completely (The screen is calibrated). You could imagine games like SC2 look spectacular, but for example Dead Space 2 was disappointing.
m
l
!