AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb psu?

zergesys

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
I can say from experience that those eXtreme power PSU's aren't stellar. The grow unstable with time, and I've yet to see one last more than a year or two. The fans and caps don't have a good lifetime.

I'd seriously consider investing in something higher up in terms of quality. A good PSU will last years, run stable, and can be used across multiple builds.

Reputable brands in the PSU department tend to be Corsair, Seasonic, and Thermaltake(Tough Power). 500w supply should work fine with that build, but it's always good to shoot a little over the minimum. A good PSU from these brands won't run over $80 given your power demands.

I'd stick to Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, and XFX if I didn't want to bother reading reviews (Thermaltake and OCZ are hit-and-miss).

If you're not gonna get a graphics card that uses more than 1 auxiliary connector (6870 or weaker), then a Corsair CX430 will get the job done just fine for you and is typically $20 after $20 rebate. Sometimes it's $5 cheaper or more expensive. (Or right now it's $35, which is unusually high).

I found this Antec 620W Neo Eco for $30 after rebate a couple weeks ago:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031
It's $73 now, so you want to look for deals.

EDIT: Aside from just Brand Name, you want to look at the Amperage on the +12V rail. Volts x Amps = Wattage. It's more complicated with multiple +12V rails because how they add up depends on circuitry. You'll see with that Coolermaster you linked that it actually only has 360W on the +12V rail (see label in images). That means it should be rated for about 400W. The Corsair CX430 has 25A on the +12V rail, or 336W, which means it should be about 375W, which is why people compare it to the Antec EA-380D, which also allows 336W on it's +12V rails according to its label.

A better built PSU not only has to provide enough power, but it provides it consistently as fluctuating currents and voltages can damage components.

pmct132

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
youll defenetly be able to run this with a quality 500watt PSU no problem , i had exact setup as you but only a 480watt PSU and everything ran smooth as butter, BTW good call on that cpu i changed pretty much all my hardware but kept the X4 965(deneb) overclocks like a champ, love it. I now have two setups with this exact processor Best Mid-Upper range processor for the price no question.

@pmct132--It all depends on what 480W PSU you had. If it was a Logisys, then you were doing it with a 260W PSU actually. But like you said, it's the quality that matters--500W would be more than enough. The Antec Earthwatts EA-380D would handle this as well.