HIS 4670 AGP weird problem

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Drivers
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
April 28, 2011 8:15:57 AM

Hey guys,

I got this problem with my new 4670 card that's making me crazy, and hope you can help me.

I installed it in my system (Athlon Xp 2400, 2GB RAM, Nforce2-400 MB, WinXP 32bit)
with the 10-7_agp-hotfix_xp32_dd_ccc drivers, it seems to work fine,
until I try to run Flash Videos (youtube) in FULLSCREEN. Normal window runs fine, but as soon as I go fullscreen, windows crushes after about 10 seconds!
Same think with SOME games... I can play 10-200 seconds and the computer crushes and reboots.
Weird thing, I can watch 720P video files and play other games just fine!

I tried this with the drivers on the CD. same problem, I tried to install the latest ati drivers, but windows crushes as soon as I install them :( 
So I had to revent to 10.7 AGP-Hotfix.

Any thoughts?

More about : 4670 agp weird problem

a c 109 U Graphics card
April 28, 2011 3:24:53 PM

The hotfix drivers are always a pain. Uninstall them, run driver sweeper, and reinstall them. You can get driver sweeper over at guru3d, or just google it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 U Graphics card
April 28, 2011 3:25:32 PM

Also be sure to disable fast read and fast write in your BIOS. It helps with stability.
m
l
April 28, 2011 3:35:06 PM

COLGeek said:
Go here and get the 11.4 version and install it. See if that helps. Good luck!

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystAGPH...

Hi friend,

I tried that already.
As soon as it finishes installing, windows crushes (BSOD)
and no driver is installed... :( 

Do I need to instell somthing before the "hotfix" ?

And ya, I used Driver Sweeper too ...
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 28, 2011 3:42:19 PM

Are your nvidia chipset drivers up to date?

I should also add this. One of the oddities I used to notice when using AGP GPUs was the need to re-install the motherboard chipset drivers after each video driver update. Doing so made sure that the video drivers did not replace any needed chipset files. That may not be the case here, but it won't hurt to do this.

Good luck!
m
l
April 28, 2011 4:25:17 PM

COLGeek said:
Are your nvidia chipset drivers up to date?

I should also add this. One of the oddities I used to notice when using AGP GPUs was the need to re-install the motherboard chipset drivers after each video driver update. Doing so made sure that the video drivers did not replace any needed chipset files. That may not be the case here, but it won't hurt to do this.

Good luck!

Ya. and also the bios.

umm I also heard somthing about that, I may try this!
Should I just uninstall all the chipset drivers and re-install?
(Chispet, IDE, NETWORK, SOUND?)
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 28, 2011 4:27:16 PM

You should be fine with installing the video drivers, followed by the chipset drivers. The others should be unaffected.
m
l
April 28, 2011 4:30:45 PM

yes but do I need to remove the old drivers first, or just reinstell over them?
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 28, 2011 5:19:06 PM

Just reinstall over them. Not a big deal with most drivers.
m
l
April 28, 2011 5:21:43 PM

COLGeek said:
Just reinstall over them. Not a big deal with most drivers.

OK, Thanks. I'll try that and see what happens :) 
m
l
April 28, 2011 11:53:33 PM

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

I think it worked! I disabled the "AGP Fast write", and re-installed ALL of the
chipset drivers from nvidia site. (Audio, AGP, Bus ...)
Aw ... and I lowered the FSB speed by 2-3Mhz in the BIOS.

I played some youtube 1080P videos for 5-10 min, So far - no crush!! :) 
Plus the videos seem smoother now (Finally! hardware decoding?!?)

I will check games later ...

As far as the 11.4 AGP-FIX drivers, does they make big diffrence in somthing?
Why do you think I can't install them? (BSOD)

m
l
April 30, 2011 11:20:16 AM

It didn't work!!
Still crushing as soon as I go full screen :( 

Is there anything else to do?
Could be that the card is defected ?
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 30, 2011 5:11:22 PM

What make and model of power supply do you have? Need to make sure it meets the minimum requirements for the 4670 (400w or greater). When you go full screen, you require more power from the power supply. If the power supply isn't up to the task, you can get failures.
m
l
April 30, 2011 5:43:25 PM

hi, I got some generic 500W PSU (28A on the 12V reel)
Is it ok?
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
April 30, 2011 7:13:36 PM

Doron404 said:
hi, I got some generic 500W PSU (28A on the 12V reel)
Is it ok?

This could be the problem. Do you have access to another PSU that you could swap in for troubleshooting?
m
l
April 30, 2011 7:21:05 PM

ummm not realy ...
Is it that low?
I was using a 7600GT before and it worked just fine.
4XXX Cards should take less juice then that ...
m
l
April 30, 2011 7:22:20 PM

and I can play some Heavy games (UT3) for a long time without crushes.
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 1, 2011 1:45:15 AM

Gaming at what resolution and what detail settings? Full screen 1080p puts quite a load on an older CPU and GPU and that means more power. Older, generic PSUs don't put out nearly what they are rated. Yours may actually be putting out less than 400w. They do wear out.

If you dig through the forums, you will find countless video threads that were solved by better PSUs.

It may not be the case with your issue, but then again it could.
m
l
May 2, 2011 10:18:59 AM

OK this is weird. This morning I reseted my BIOS (by pulling the battery out)
and (so far) all seem to be working! No crushes for a few hours!
although it might be a PSU problem as you said, let's hope and see.

Do you know how much this card draws from the PSU ?
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 2, 2011 11:32:59 AM

The requirement is a 400w minimum. I don't know the specifics for your card. The issue may have been the "quality" of the power being provided. If power isn't cleanly provided (right amount, no dips or spikes, etc) then the GPU can fail under load conditions. Think of it as fuel flowing from your gas tank to your engine. Any problems restricting gas flow will affect engine performance. Too little and the engine stalls, too much, same thing.

Make sense?
m
l
May 2, 2011 11:49:33 AM

Yup, I get it.
At least it works now! I just stressed my GPU for 20 min and all good :) 
Do you think that the Power issues caused because my system is (really) OverClocked? (Like 40% more FSB - No voltage added)

Funny thing is, yesterday I got mad and got a new computer, and worked all night
installing the OS and apps. oh well, 2 computers are better then 1 =]
m
l
May 2, 2011 12:05:54 PM

oh ... forget to mention. I also uninstalled the 10.X drivers
and installed some old 8.X from windows update.
Without Catalyst or CCC. ( I'm now using them: 8.xx )
So maybe IT IS a driver issue ?
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 2, 2011 3:58:50 PM

OCing can definitely cause isses, especially with older interfaces (like AGP). Using the 8.x drivers is not a good idea and you should use the 10.7, at least (I would prefer the 11.4 drivers).

OCing can have all sorts of side effects and can impact hardware and software (drivers). It also adds stress to your overall system in terms of power consumption, heat generated, and even noise (as fans have to turn faster to deal with the additional heat).

It really does sound like your original PSU was on the fuzzy edge of being adequate to meet your needs (as the system is configured) and replacing it was a good thing.

Last, I agree, 2 machines are better than 1. HOOAH!!!
m
l
May 2, 2011 10:59:15 PM

11.4 are good, If only I could install them :( 

Anyway, this card made me hate ATI and their Demn Catalyst drivers.
Nvidia Card never made me such problems!

I think I might sell the 4670, get a good Geforce card for my new PC,
and live happily ever after in PCI-E kingdom. :D 
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 3, 2011 12:05:40 AM

I have been an ATI/AMD guy for a VERY long time and have never had any unsolvable problems. Nvidia GPUs are really no better. From time to time, both ATI/AMD and Nvidia get it wrong. The "current" AGP cards are actually kludged PCI-E cards and can be very temperamental. Your config seems to be one of those problem configs. You have an Nvidia chipset combined with ATI AGP GPU.

I would bet you a beer that if you installed Win 7 on that rig (clean/custom install), it would run just fine. Might even be a good experiment and would get rid of all of kludgy XP stuff.
m
l
May 3, 2011 12:40:33 AM

COLGeek said:
I have been an ATI/AMD guy for a VERY long time and have never had any unsolvable problems. Nvidia GPUs are really no better. From time to time, both ATI/AMD and Nvidia get it wrong. The "current" AGP cards are actually kludged PCI-E cards and can be very temperamental. Your config seems to be one of those problem configs. You have an Nvidia chipset combined with ATI AGP GPU.

I would bet you a beer that if you installed Win 7 on that rig (clean/custom install), it would run just fine. Might even be a good experiment and would get rid of all of kludgy XP stuff.

So Nvidia and ATI don't play nice together? :p 

and, Did that already :) 
Win7 was EVEN MORE problematic with the ATI drivers.
and same problem with the 11.4 drivers there too!!!
As Soon as I install them I get Blue screens, windows
won't boot, and I have to restore to the last point.
I think there's something really wrong with those drivers.

I also tries a new Xp install ... for some reason the
ATI installer doesn't even work there ....

How can I make sure the Card itself is OK? (I got it on Ebay)
m
l
May 3, 2011 12:41:23 AM

You owe me A Beer! :p 
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 3, 2011 12:51:54 AM

Doron404 said:
You owe me A Beer! :p 

Reset all of your speeds back to stock, first, then try the drivers.

You have an older system that uses AGP (with a kludged PCI-E GPU) with an old Nvidia chipset. It really is a wonder that it works at all.

BTW, do you have access to an Nvidia AGP card that you could swap in to see how it performs?

Last, the inability to install the current drivers indicated another problem. It is possible the 4670 is defective. Swapping the GPU would help isolate that issue.

I'll drink your beer and let you know how good it is.....or you could PM me an address and I'll send you one from one of the local micro-breweries.

HOOAH!!!
m
l
May 4, 2011 12:55:16 PM

COLGeek said:
Reset all of your speeds back to stock, first, then try the drivers.

You have an older system that uses AGP (with a kludged PCI-E GPU) with an old Nvidia chipset. It really is a wonder that it works at all.

BTW, do you have access to an Nvidia AGP card that you could swap in to see how it performs?

Last, the inability to install the current drivers indicated another problem. It is possible the 4670 is defective. Swapping the GPU would help isolate that issue.

I'll drink your beer and let you know how good it is.....or you could PM me an address and I'll send you one from one of the local micro-breweries.

HOOAH!!!

Hey Again!

Yes, I got my old 7600GT, and it worked just fine.

ok, I tested some new games with the 4670, and they
seem to be working fine. not a single crush since I put the old drivers.

The problem is I got this GPU second hand, So NO RETURNING :( 
but if it works great in the older drivers doesn't that indicate the
the GPU is fine, and it's some kind of a driver problem?

HAHA it's ok, you can have my beer, I think Im bit far for the beer to last :D 
Where ya' from anyway ?
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 4, 2011 1:55:20 PM

I am located in sunny, St. Louis, MO, USA. Actually some good local brews here.

Those older Nvidia chipsets could be very touchy with non-Nvidia GPUs. It is possible (I have no way to confirm) that the newer ATI drivers have an issue with the older Nvidia chipset, but I am somewhat doubtful on that.

You could run DriverSweeper to completely remove all ATI drivers and then reinstall, in fact, I would go so far as to remove all of the Nvidia drivers as well and try then to install the newest versions for both the GPU and the chipset afterward. Nothing to lose.

I was not surprised to see the 7600GT work.

If you want your beer, send me an address via private message and we'll see what we can arrange.

HOOAH!!!
m
l
May 6, 2011 6:41:06 AM

OK, correction: it's not 8.xx drivers thats working, it's the 10.4 driver WITHOUT all the software (no CCC and stuff). I think thats what does the problem.

I tried (another) Clean XP partition. As always 11.x drivers crush the machine. :/ 
and I can install manually the 10.x drivers and it works great.
Watched full screen video for hour, High End games worked great, so ... Card OK?

HAHA thanks man, but I don't really drink, you can enjoy mine :) 
What I could really use is a good DDR2 chip or Good PCIE card! LOL

m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 6, 2011 10:55:30 AM

Did you try the 11.4 drivers only (no Catalyst)? You generally get those from the individual download tabs at ati.com.

Understood of the correct version (w/o Catalyst). You really don't have to have Catalyst when it comes right down to it.

Last, are you still OCing anything in this system?
m
l
May 6, 2011 11:09:17 AM

COLGeek said:
Did you try the 11.4 drivers only (no Catalyst)? You generally get those from the individual download tabs at ati.com.
?

YES. Also manually ... Still GOOD OLD BSOD .

and yes, but I don't believe this is the problem.
(but I did lower the FBS to a more stable speed)
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 6, 2011 12:15:20 PM

AGP interfaces are VERY sensitive to OCing, particularly the FSB. Have you ever tried all of this at stock speeds?
m
l
a c 277 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 6, 2011 12:16:29 PM

BTW, had you beer last night. It was a nice Stella Artois. Very nice beer you (I) had....
m
l
May 6, 2011 12:54:37 PM

COLGeek said:
BTW, had you beer last night. It was a nice Stella Artois. Very nice beer you (I) had....

HAHA, sounds good! You're Welcome :) 
m
l
May 6, 2011 12:56:43 PM

COLGeek said:
AGP interfaces are VERY sensitive to OCing, particularly the FSB. Have you ever tried all of this at stock speeds?

I'll try it.
m
l