Screen, start up and sound problems

samuelson

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
my HP Pavilion dv6700 is having a start up problem such that the system when trying to start up and power light shows, after some seconds say 3-4 it tries restarting again and again like a cycle within those seconds range. During this time, the screen shows nothing (black). After doing this for like 8-10 times, it now comes up starting to desktop. This is quite embarrasing, please I need some help and idea on what to do. (2)It sound siezed one day and shows a red x over the speaker icon on the taskbar. The Sound Controllers has dissapeared from Device Manager making the system behaves as if there is no Sound Card/Hardware attached to the board. I've tried downloading Microsoft UAA to bring out the hardware from board but all the ones I found on internet was for Realtek but mine uses Conexant Audio Device. The system runs on Windows 7 (32-bit OS, AMD Turion(tm)64 X2 mobile technology TL-60 2.00GHz processor. (3) How can a screen and flex problem be differentiated since both have similar symptoms. Any help to the above problems would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Let's try to tackle the restart loop problem first. After you press the power button on your case to turn on the PC, immediately and repeatedly press the F8 key. This will bring you to an Windows Advanced Options menu. Use the down arrow to highlight "Disable automatic restart on system failure", and then press Enter.

If the restart loop is disabled, you should see what we like to call the Blue Screen of Death. The BSOD is a Windows Stop Error. Sometimes the information displayed on the blue screen can be useful in diagnosing the root cause of the boot failure. If you see this information, either post it here or search online for possible remedies.

As for your sound problem, it may be related to the Windows restart loop. If the sound driver or the sound hardware is causing the the restart loop. An easy way to test this theory would be to remove the sound card from the mobo and see if Windows starts without restarting 8-10 times.

samuelson

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Thanks for your response. But I want to ask if stopping the BSOD may affect files on my system so that I can copy out my important files before doing it and again, how can I copy or have a screen capture of the Blue Screen so that I can post here.

By default, Windows is programmed to restart the computer in the event of a stop error (a.k.a. BSOD). By going into the advanced boot options menu (pressing F8 repeatedly after turning on or restarting the computer), you can disable this feature. When the restart on boot failure option is disabled, the computer will not restart, leaving the BSOD viewable. While the BSOD is on the screen, take a picture of it with a digital camera.

If your goal is to post useful information about the BSOD to find possible fixes, I'd download "bluescreenview", a software that reads the dumpfiles and tries to make it easier to understand. Another viable option is to use the Event Viewer. Press the Windows/Start button, and then type "event viewer" in the dialog box. From here, look under the critical errors; find the time when the system does the BSOD/reboot loop.

BSODs themselves do not harm your system, or the data contained within. The problematic hardware or software that is causing the BSOD is what can harm your system. If the HDD isn't the cause of the BSOD, you can connect it as a non-boot drive - basically a storage-only device. While in this capacity, you can extract your files. Note that with Vista and 7, there are increased security policies (depending on the version of the OS) where you may not be able to access account-specific files w/o admin permission level.

samuelson

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
i've just downloaded and installed the blue screen view. i'll make available the dump when it is generated. For the event manager thing, i've seen some errors relating to critical and it says:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

i wish there was a way i could make the screen shots available also. Thanks for your concern.

^^ What we really need when the BSOD occurs is one of two things: Either the hex code of the stop error [something like 0x0A], or the exact stop message [something such as IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL; always in all caps].

In the meantime, run a memory diagnostic like memtest86, just to start testing the statistically most likely culprit.