Buying a new computer

sdavies

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hello Guys!
I respect the opinion of these forums and would like to get the advice of collective this matter. I am in the market for buy a new laptop. I need a computer that is reasonably portable. 14/15 inches would be great as I need to take the computer to class. I am planning on buying the RAM and a SSD separately and putting them in. I am fairly tech savoy and have done this in the past. The issue is I would like a computer that can play games/software (I'm a ComSci Major) fairly well. I am partial to the Sony VAIO computers because of their design (They look really nice). My budget is in the $2,000 (a little flexibility here.)

The computer I have found is the VPCCA290X.
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
64-bit AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M (1GB VRAM) hybrid graphics with Intel® Wireless Display technology
14" LED backlit display (1600 x 900)
Adobe Bundle (Free - $448 value)
320GB (5400rpm) hard drive
Norton Internet Security™ 2011 (30 Day Trial)
Standard lithium-ion battery (5300mAh)
Blue
CD/DVD player / burner
Intel® Core™ i7-2620M processor (2.70GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.40GHz
LED Backlit Keyboard
4GB (4GBx1) DDR3-SDRAM-1333

My main question is: Should I also upgrade the processor (get the i3-2310M instead of the i7-2620M and put in a more powerful one). If so what can I put in there (Im not sure what the mother board is nor what it can support)?
Any other suggestions, comments?

Ok, here's what I would do. The core i7 is a worthy processor, so I wouldn't mess with that. However laptops are a game of give and take where more power means less battery time. I would spring for a battery upgrade with these components.
Also I think I would look at other video card options if available. The 6630M is a midrange part, which is probably ok for 15".

Here's a chart for mobile graphics chips. These guys test em all, and each card has a fairly comprehensive list of its capabilities.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Also I would look at Alienware for gaming laptops, and maybe Cyberpower PC. You should be happy with the Vaio though.

sdavies

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Yes I agree they are a little pricey (I'm willing to pay the premium for the look). However the one listed is currently $1,300 which will come to 1,900 after I get the SDD and RAM separately. So is it possible to upgrade the video and processor on this and if so, what should I upgrade them to.

Typically only through the configurator. It is possible to upgrade the CPU on a laptop, although I wouldn't know for that socket. The graphics its harder to say, sometimes they have a module which can be upgraded, but I find this unlikely with the newer chips.
Most folks don't mess with the innards of a laptop, and it will likely void your warranty unless its a hard drive or ram upgrade.

One option you may consider is a DIY model. Here's a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.rjtech.com/

http://www.directron.com/nbbarebone.html