CPU jumps over 99C (need better cooling)

eyel2kay

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
So I am doing 3d modeling for class and when I render a scene, my computer kicks its CPU temperature to 99C or so says my widget its probably higher since its stopped at 99C. I am assuming this is not a very good temperature since its so high...

I got a Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz and an Antec 900 case with all the fans on high. I idle between 30-40C and gaming is normally around 70C.

is water cooling something I should look into, and if so, what should I get? I got my computer lighting up in blue, soooo clear tubes for more lights would be cool.

I have no idea about water cooling other than its another avenue than air cooling. I tried looking at places for differences between and what is good but they are massive walls of text and pages and pages of graphs that are very overwhelming, so I am asking here...

Solution
I'm sure everyone is aware of self contained units, they are pretty horrible for the price. Many consider them fake WC, they are louder and get hotter than air coolers at the same price. The h100 is pretty good but if you're going WC get a real WC setup, it will be much much better. You should do a bit of reading if you are going this way. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265776-29-watercooling-info-faqs-links-stickies But I'd suggest just going with a good air cooler, much simpler and especially since you're not doing any real overclocking. Even if you wanted to really OC, something like the nhd14 is plenty of cooling.

No offense but it's not the push pins, his idle temps would be high too. The OC should be plenty of evidence of the...

eyel2kay

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I got an ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe and it has switches that auto overclock and stuff for you.

I am using the stock fan from Intel, and I am certain it is put down properly.

According to this spec sheet: http://ark.intel.com/products/52214/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-Processor-(8M-Cache-3_40-GHz) your Tcase temp is 72.6°C. The Tcase is the silver cap that covers the silicon die, which is the same part that comes into contact with the heatsink.

I would download, install, and run SpeedFan, HW Monitor, and Everest. These free programs monitor the temps in your system. Perhaps that widget is measuring inaccurately.

Well there's your problem, the OC is making you overheat. CPUZ says you're ~4.4ghz. I would suggest keeping it stock or getting a new hsf. Water cooling is unnecessary and expensive, good ones starting near $200. The self contained ones are good depending on which one but a good air cooler will probably be cheaper and just as good. The hyper 212+ or evo is the best low priced at around $30. Higher would be a frio, v6gt at around $50 and up to a nhd14 at $85. Just to name a few good air coolers.

Your i7 is definitely overclocked, it's running at nearly 4.4 GHz under load nearly 1000 megahertz over stock speed, something you should definitely not do with stock cooling. You have an Asus board, and the ones that can OC your CPU, tend to automatically apply overclock settings, whether you want to OC or not. Go into your BIOS and disable all the overclocking features. If you do want to OC, definitely get a better cooler.

4.4 GHz should be achievable on air, you would only need to go with water cooling if you wanted to OC further than 4.4GHz, or if you really, really want a quieter system. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 would be a good choice if you are on a tighter budget, it will definitely get your temps down to an acceptable level with that overclock.

eyel2kay

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
alright, I'll look into fans and turn off overclocking. I can deal with longer render times for the sake of my computer not dieing on me

also, do you have any thoughts about water cooling regardless of price? i have seen some towers with water cooling on person and they look really cool and was wondering what you guys think. I see a lot of people talking about the Corsair H50 but its got black tubes. Example

You can just tell me what specs to look for :)

I'm sure everyone is aware of self contained units, they are pretty horrible for the price. Many consider them fake WC, they are louder and get hotter than air coolers at the same price. The h100 is pretty good but if you're going WC get a real WC setup, it will be much much better. You should do a bit of reading if you are going this way. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265776-29-watercooling-info-faqs-links-stickies But I'd suggest just going with a good air cooler, much simpler and especially since you're not doing any real overclocking. Even if you wanted to really OC, something like the nhd14 is plenty of cooling.

No offense but it's not the push pins, his idle temps would be high too. The OC should be plenty of evidence of the increased temps.

Solution