rossmanorg

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
I have an xps 600. It booted and was running, then a click and the unit shut down. All I have now is a blinking amber light on the main power button. The system is dead. Manual indicates a Power supply. Is this true and if so where to buy a replacement and find install instructions. Maybe its not economical to do the replacement and would be just as cheap to buy another comparable machine. thanks

as said above, unplug the AC power from the back of the PC for 20 minutes. then try again. It is most likely the power supply, they are easy to change and it would be economical to replace it, they arent that expensive. You can get a good quality replacement for around $50-60

rossmanorg

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
hey thanks. I did the unplug thing. still the same. i have lights on the motherboard so I think it is getting power. Maybe the motherboard is bad?
haven't tried the cmos battery yet. So how to determine if it is a power supply or motherboard problem? Help

rossmanorg

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011

Thanks for the links on the power supply. They are great.

I still have to determine if it is the ps or the motherboard.

rossmanorg

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
thanks all for the tips and links. I just tried the paper clip trick with the PS. Plugged it in and I saw the fan on the video card start to turn, then a click was heard and then nothing. So I guess the PS is bad. Is that a correct assumption?

The test i linked is conducted with your psu not installed in your system.
And preferably a cooling fan attached not a gpu.
If you can i would uninstall the psu and take it to a pc shop where it can be properly evaluated.
Depress your case power button to discharge capacitors after you've unplugged it.
It's not hard to remove a psu from a pc usually 2-4 screws and the cables .
Make sure you're grounded(touch the metal part of the chassis or the psu with one hand)before entering the interior of your case.
You could just take the psu or the whole tower to a repair shop.
The choice is yours.
Like i said most will not charge for a simple psu test.
The whole tower will incur bench charges.

Lol ! thanks delluser1 for your voice of reason and knowledge..
I'm a little rusty been on hiatus from the forums all summer:)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

rossmanorg

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
well folks, here is the verdict. It WAS NOT the power supply. Dell was right, it must be the motherboard. So instead of paying 400+ for a motherboard, I think i'll scrap it and buy a new more powerful laptop. Thanks for all the help

TRENDING THREADS