G

Which SCSI-2? Fast Wide SCSI-2,Wide Ultra-2 SCSI or just plain old SCSI-2?

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have scsi controller at first place? Or ATA100/66 interface? To me I'll get ATA100 because I have no SCSI controller :tongue:

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!

G

If you can Afford it go SCSI and use Software RAID
.... SCSI kicks ass

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ATA is catching up anyway, to a point when prices justifies performance.

1st <b>member</b>!

Skynet

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
SCSI if far far superior to IDE no matter what any benchmark says! Even a IDE RAID100 cannot hold a candle to SCSI. Sure the benchmarks may be good but CPU usage is very high for IDE. I have a KT7-RAID and a Giga-byte BX mobo with a scsi controller onboard. the giga-byte board runs win2k faster, even though the KT7 system is a 1 Gig Athlon and the giga-byte system is a PIII 600. The SCSI system just boots and runs faster, of course with the exception of CPU only tasks, no contest there.

G

Hi.
It is true that a high end SCSI will out perform a high end
ata 100, both raided or not. But you have to look at the cost verses performance.
Would you spend that much more for how ever much performance increase the SCSI will give you.

IF money is no object then get scuzzi.

If you want the best bang for the least $ spent, then you will not get better then ATA100 in a mirrored configuration.
And do you really need more?

Remember, SCSI is the name of the interface and how the info is accessed. The drives are made in same manner and are no less or more dependable then an IDE based on the same manufacturer.

Good Luck,

If money was no object, how could you spend it!!!

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes it wins over every benchmark but ATA still wins over my heart :smile: ; because ATAs are cheaper, easier to obtain and easier to install. Tell me - what is the price of one 10GB SCSI and one 70GB ATA? How many vendors are selling as many SCSI models as ATA models? Does ATA has all those funky little chains that need termination and so forth?

1st <b>member</b>!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Go with the SCSI if you have the controller already.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://zidane222.cjb.net" target="_new">http://zidane222.cjb.net</A></b>

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ive been debating this with freinds for months now <G> Agreed, money is an issue, OK lets put that aside for a moment..why..? because if im going to spend alot of money anyway building/UGing this system, id prefer to spend more and get something worth it. Ive only recently joined this board, but am excited cause ive loved Toms for years now. Im going to past in the letter i recently sent, and hopefully you all will give me some feedback. There was no sense rewriting the dam thing:
Greetings Mr Schmid,
First let me congratulate you on your fine articles "SCSI Lives! Quantam Atlas 10K II" and "Fastest IDE Hard Drive Ever: IBM Deskstar 75GXP". The latter article i almost feel i can take some credit for being i sent you a letter asking about that model in particular, and in comparison to possibly going with a SCSI drive (of course this is a bold and silly claim of mine, but its a compliment to you because you were of the same thought as your readers).
My only question is, how come noone ever mentions the Seagate Cheetah ST318451 models, the only 15k HDs ive found available around, and have been for quite some time now. I am slowly considering the prospects for building a new system or which i will work and play from. I am in the process of starting a new web design company, and currently act as a consultant in the gaming industry. I make use of alot of applications, often simultaneously so i am very interested in speed. As i do much work from home, yes noise is a slight concern, but im willing to put up with some minor nuisances if the other benefits are worthwhile (and considering i normally have music or the TV blaring anyway) My only problem as it stands with the Cheetahs are the small capacity (still only 18 gigs..?) and of course the price. Of course i will also have to add to the price a SCSI controller, which ive already picked out-the Adaptec 39160. Originally i had thought going SCSI would be natural for when i got a burner and a scanner as well as a high performance HD. Nowadays tho, the best burners are all IDE, and scanners come with their own SCSI card, or are USB. I am still willing to go SCSI if the performance improvement of the HD is truly significant, i can afford it,
but im certainly not wastefull.
Well i hope i spark something here, i am surprised that it seems to be an oversite that the Cheetah has not gotten any review or comparisons. In particular because i find Tomshardware to be the best site for information, and regularly refer people to it.

Thats what i wrote then, im just goin to add this, if you read thru the article here, he gives a convincing arguement for a great new IDE drive thats out, the 75 GXP..vs the not quite top of the line SCSI. I also notice that when they run other benchmarks, for example for some of the GeFOrce cards, they ran games, and using a SCSI HD.

I hope someone is listening.

G

SCSI is best used in RAID arrays nowadays because of pricing vs performance reasons. Too many IDE hard drives from IBM have been very fast performers and Quantum's LCT ranges are sturdy, quiet and dirt cheap.

To go for SCSI you must be prepared to spend a lot of money and get some information about it from the web first. SCSI must be daisy chained together and a controller card must be obtained.

If you want very good performance for a good price then go find out more about IDE RAID.

Also 10,000RPM drives do have a habit of making your machine vibrate off the desk..well not quite that bad but even 72000 discs are quite noisy buggers so imagine that and much worse..I hate excessive machine noise.

Oh yeah and SCSI compatibility problems can be a real pain the arse! That's why I have two controller cards in my system..

Why is it so much more expensive?

A SCSI BUS is designed so that you can have many more devices in your system
RAID will work much more efficiently
SCSI is much more 'intelligent' (more commands + stuff)
SCSI controller cards handle much of the required processing allowing your CPU more freedom
SCSI drives are more robust and sturdy carring greater warranties
They are disigned to work simultaneously with other SCSI devices without compromising performance