Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Trying to find a motherboard for Q6600

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 29, 2012 5:51:00 PM

So my old computer is gone, but I am not totally sure the CPU is fried. The computer caught fire but the graphics card, hard drive and cd drive are still working so I am wondeirng if my CPU still works as well.

Thing is I need a new motherboard, but it's hard to find them these days for Q6600. I am looking for a motherboard that can support up to 8gb of memory and support my CPU. Anyone have any suguestions?

More about : find motherboard q6600

a c 252 V Motherboard
a c 331 à CPUs
June 29, 2012 6:10:40 PM

I would not invest much more in a socket that is 3 gens old.
Can you have the cpu tested by a shop first to see if it is still good?


Search on e-bay, and you can probably find a socket 775 motherboard for not that much.
I have been debating if it is worth my time to post a Gigabyte GA965P-DS3 on e-bay.

Send me a PM if interested.
Score
0
Related resources
June 29, 2012 6:24:36 PM

geofelt said:
I would not invest much more in a socket that is 3 gens old.
Can you have the cpu tested by a shop first to see if it is still good?


Search on e-bay, and you can probably find a socket 775 motherboard for not that much.
I have been debating if it is worth my time to post a Gigabyte GA965P-DS3 on e-bay.

Send me a PM if interested.


Do you know any place where they would test it out? Like a chain that would be in the Connecticut area? This would be awesome.

I am am not looking to throw a ton of cash at this but there are seriously times where a backup system would come in handy and the q6600 would be able to suit my needs.

I have a 9800 GT, 700w ps and case + drives laying around, figure I may as well make something out of it rather than the hassle of attempting to sell some well used computer hardware.
Score
0
a c 252 V Motherboard
a c 331 à CPUs
June 29, 2012 7:21:43 PM

I would think a computer repair shop would be the best.

Pick a trustworthy one. My son had one check out what he thought was a failed cpu chip. Yup, it was bad; or so they said.
When I looked at the chi, they had substituted a lesser chip and kept the original. No way to prove it , but we won't deal with them again... ever.

Good idea on a backup pc.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 172 à CPUs
June 29, 2012 9:01:44 PM

My threshold for repairing or upgrading an old machine is $100.

G'byte G41 - about $50:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G-Skill DDR3 RAM - 4 GB X2 - also about $50:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And a moderate overclock with the stock cooler will get you to 3.0 GHz.

Of course, this assumes that the CPU and other components are good.
Share
June 30, 2012 2:10:51 AM

jsc said:
My threshold for repairing or upgrading an old machine is $100.

G'byte G41 - about $50:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G-Skill DDR3 RAM - 4 GB X2 - also about $50:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And a moderate overclock with the stock cooler will get you to 3.0 GHz.

Of course, this assumes that the CPU and other components are good.



Is this particular RAM and motherboard combo compatable? Sorry, I am unsure as to how I would figure it out if it was.
Score
0
a c 252 V Motherboard
a c 331 à CPUs
June 30, 2012 3:49:15 AM

gorlios said:
Is this particular RAM and motherboard combo compatable? Sorry, I am unsure as to how I would figure it out if it was.


You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.
Score
0
June 30, 2012 5:36:36 AM

Best answer selected by gorlios.
Score
0
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
June 30, 2012 7:16:18 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
0
!