How the HECK do I set up Eyefinity?

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Eyefinity is the technology that allows you to use more than 2 monitors off of a single video card. To "use" it, you'll need 3 or more monitors, depending on how many video outputs (more specifically, how many Displayports) your specific GPU has. In your case, the 5830 has 3 or 4 video outputs (most have 4, but some have 3), but they all have only 1 displayport, which means your maximum amount of supported monitors is 3 in either case.

The 5830 you have most likely has either:
2 DVI's
1 HDMI
1 Displayport

Or

1 DVI
1 HDMI
1 Displayport

Either way, since you only have 1 displayport, your maximum amount of monitors is 3, EVEN IF YOU CROSSFIRE.

NOTE: Every monitor connected to a single GPU, after the 2nd, requires use of the Displayport output. If your monitor doesn't have a Displayport on it, you will need an ACTIVE displayport adapter if you wish to use it as your 3rd (4th/5th/6th) monitor. Passive adapters will not work!!

Example

I have 1 monitor via HDMI and 1 via DVI. My 3rd monitor will require use of the displayport.

Another example:

I have 4 monitors. But my card only has 2 DVI slots, 1 hdmi, and 1 displayport. I can only use 3 monitors because I only have 1 displayport.

Last example:

I have crossfired 5830's. I CANNOT use any of the outputs on any of the second/third/fourth video cards. All of the monitors must be connected to the first GPU. This is a limitation of Eyefinity, and doesn't reflect on how SLi works, as it is different.

TL;DR version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999030

heyy

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
If your wondering how to actually set up eyefinity to use 3 monitors as one display you have to arrange your desktop in the catalyst control center. under desktop arrangement click the arrow and the arrange. once you do that you will be promted to identify 2 of the 3 monitors in their respective postions(left,center,or right). It took me a few minittes to figure it out to because by default it is set to 3 workspaces, you want 1 big workspace. I am using 2 dvi to vga adapters and a displayport to vga adapter to feed my 3 vga displays and it works great with every game iv played so far. Good Luck

rockitman

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah, I saw your baby monitors. Very cute!

I just set myself up in Eyefinity with 3 28" monitors and I have to have Crossfire enabled on my 6950's to run the heavy hitter games at decent resolutions. But it sure is worth it!