General question about memory bandwidth, interface and clock? Core?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Dear Community,

I have been recently started to do some overclocking on my Radeon Hd 5770, in doing so I see numbers going up in the GPU-Z such as the memory bandwidth. I have seen charts indicating all different Ati's and Nvidia's Graphics cards, showing most clear differences on their Memory transfer Rate.

My question is On actual gaming and frames per second, which is more important memory bandwidth, Speed or Core clock? I know Memory transfer rate is dependent on memory interface and memory Speed, but which creates a greater effect on Gaming Core or Memory transfer rate? Any short clear explanation would be appreciated, and if possible such as in which type applications are more dependent on Core Speed vs Memory Speed, and Transfer rate? Thanks in Advance

Solution
Core speed is the speed of the processor, whether a GPU or CPU. Example: Your Intel quad core would be running at, say, 3.2 GHZ. That 3.2 GHZ is the CPU's "clock speed". It's why you hear the term "overclocking", to force a CPU or GPU to run at higher speeds than what they originally came with.

The higher a GPU's core clock, the faster it is, and the more performance it'll give (as a general rule). Of course, other factors are important, such as memory clock (the speed of the video card's RAM) and the Shader clock speed.
Well as you know memory bandwidth is related to memory speed (and type) and also the interface/bus width (for example 256bit)... I would hazard a guess that games that use alot of VRAM would benifit most from increased bandwidth speed.

From the overclocking I've done on various cards I've found increasing the core clock more benificial in terms of FPS increase than increasing the memory speed.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
The 3 big ones are:

Core Clock
Shader Clock
Memory Clock

That's also listed in order of importance.

Memory bandwidth (transfer rate) will increase in response to these clocks rising, specifically the memory.

Edit: Derp, put core speed affecting mem bandwidth. my bad.

Memory bandwidth doesn't increase if you up the core speed....

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Core speed is the speed of the processor, whether a GPU or CPU. Example: Your Intel quad core would be running at, say, 3.2 GHZ. That 3.2 GHZ is the CPU's "clock speed". It's why you hear the term "overclocking", to force a CPU or GPU to run at higher speeds than what they originally came with.

The higher a GPU's core clock, the faster it is, and the more performance it'll give (as a general rule). Of course, other factors are important, such as memory clock (the speed of the video card's RAM) and the Shader clock speed.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.