4gb usable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Ok this is rly pissing me off. I got a new MB recetnly with 8GB DDR3 and basically it refused to boot into anything having to do with windows at all with both sticks in. Then I DLed a BIOS update for the board today to update it to the newest possible. For some reason it acually let me boot inot windows with both sticks in. But it says 4gb usable out of 8. What is rly strange is the fact that the old MB I had also would not even POST with both sticks in so I'm thinking it might be a CPU problem. I have set the timings,voltage,speed didn't help any. Oh yea and it refuses to go into dual channel to. Its stuck in single and the BIOS when it does the POST only says 4096 instead of 8192.

Solution
I think a dead memory slot would be most likely but if you have a spare CPU to test with definatly do that, don't want to RMA your board and find out thats not the problem.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
64-bit system. Both sticks work fine. I'm thinking either the memory controller on my CPU has problems cause of past ram problems or the ram slot is bad(same slot as on past board to). Both sticks will pass memtest fine in slot 1. I need to put in the Sempron I have and test them with that.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Yea exactly. Unfortunatly it seems the Sempron I have is blown and they don't support DDR3 anyway so I have nothing to test with cause all the other desktops in my house are Intel-__- This is just peachy. I'm gona get a new board for a new build I wana do anyway and try that one out. If it has the SAME problem then I knows its my CPU.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Will do. As long as no one closes the thread and everyone who wants to know how it turns out subscribes. It will be a little while till I can get the new board I want though. Cause if I get a new board and this still happens then it is definatly my CPU Memory Controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.