Display problem - HP 2165dx - 5 vertical bars made of fuzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaunkrug

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Problem with my laptop - when laptop comes back from sleep or dimmed screen, these vertical bars appear. they go away as something new on the screen happens. When external monitor is used, the bars still happen. I have re-installed the intel graphics driver many times but the problem remains. No physical damage has been done. Any solutions?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is a video i uploaded of what I mean by the vertical bars, what it looks like and what it does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUJScPPqyBI

Solution
Had the seemingly exact same issue on a customer's HP laptop today coming out of sleep/dimmed screen, different model, unfortunately I didn't take notice what model exactly. Graphics drivers were fully up to date, wondering if a driver roll-back makes any difference. If possible have you tried?

Gave the questionable advice of backup and restore which I imagine will likely initially fix the problem but may well come back later on :ange: What's the model of your laptop shaunkrug so that I can compare specs against said customer's should they return? - to see if they use the same graphics chip or something and try pinpoint the cause.

Other than this I'd personally try getting on to HP about it to see if it's a known issue, don't know...

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
If it's doing it on external monitors, it's not your screen, and since you've updated your drivers, it might not be that either. It could be a dying GPU, which in a laptop, means you have to get a new one.

Not sure what you can do in terms of a solution though.

NF2K

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Had the seemingly exact same issue on a customer's HP laptop today coming out of sleep/dimmed screen, different model, unfortunately I didn't take notice what model exactly. Graphics drivers were fully up to date, wondering if a driver roll-back makes any difference. If possible have you tried?

Gave the questionable advice of backup and restore which I imagine will likely initially fix the problem but may well come back later on :ange: What's the model of your laptop shaunkrug so that I can compare specs against said customer's should they return? - to see if they use the same graphics chip or something and try pinpoint the cause.

Other than this I'd personally try getting on to HP about it to see if it's a known issue, don't know firsthand how helpful or not they are... Good luck :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.