toshiba keyboard problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 12:58:00 PM

Est. 3 yr old Toshiba Satellite A45 S51 laptop, given to me.

1. This machine is full of viruses. I removed alot of junk software in Safe
Mode and got rid of alot of virus, but can't get it to stay up in full mode
long enough to get the Console Utility working, and in Safe Mode it won't
give me the Hardware Config screen so I can tell it boot off a CD to
re-install the OS. I"ve found NO key that interrupts boot with the BIOS
menu - not ESC, F1, F12, DEL, or any other F key.

2.Some of the keys produce no response, some (like space bar) produce
another character (space bar gives semicolon); can't type the letter r, l or
number 0, so can't do regedit or some other Runline things.

Any way for a non-geek, but adventurous, cautious person to fix these at
home? pay a professional?

Any suggestions? Windows XP SP2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 1:25:31 PM

Newest piece of info...succeeded in removing enough add-on software in Safe
Mode that I can get to the Toshiba Console, and stay up in full mode. So I
changed the Boot Order and booted off the CD, but the F1 and F2 keys seem to
be on the list of keys that don't work, so I can't get past the first
screen.

Can you help me address the non-working key issue??
Could they be cleaned? I already blew them with compressed air, no
better...afraid to open case as I might not get it back together; I've heard
that's really tough..

Thanks.
Ann
June 30, 2005 10:20:45 PM

Have you tried an external keyboard to elliminate that it is indeed the
laptop keyboard faulty or not?
Mikey

"Ann Barnes" <barnesa underscore 17201 at yahoo dotcom> wrote in message
> Newest piece of info...succeeded in removing enough add-on software in
> Safe Mode that I can get to the Toshiba Console, and stay up in full mode.
> So I changed the Boot Order and booted off the CD, but the F1 and F2 keys
> seem to be on the list of keys that don't work, so I can't get past the
> first screen.
>
> Can you help me address the non-working key issue??
> Could they be cleaned? I already blew them with compressed air, no
> better...afraid to open case as I might not get it back together; I've
> heard that's really tough..
>
> Thanks.
> Ann

a b D Laptop
June 30, 2005 10:20:46 PM

Toshiba requires USB keyboard on this model (per users manual, and apparent
lack of unknown connectors on the edges!) and I don't have access to one.
I'll try a converter cable PS2 to USB, but they're not known for
workability!
My local hardware guru says with symptoms I've detailed for him, he totally
suspects keyboard controller, requiring Toshiba certified repair (not the
local guy on the corner). No wonder it was given away. Well, I'll check out
pricing and see what's possible, if y'all don't have any further
suggestions...thanks for your help, Mikey...
Ann in PA
PS: Anyone on this list want to make a 'bid' on fixing it? I'll pass it on
to my hu$band!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 3:34:22 AM

Forget trying to "clean" the hard drive and just "blow it away" and
start over with a clean repartition and reformat, and fresh install.
Use an external keyboard if necessary.

On the keyboard, could be the keyboard itself (not the worst scenario,
actually), or the cable not properly plugged in (a very possible cause),
or a bad keyboard encoder. The latter means a new motherboard, most
likely. Could also (but VERY unlikely) be a bad keyboard encoder flash
ROM. These can be reflashed but the code is hard to find outside of a
service center.

Ann Barnes wrote:

> Est. 3 yr old Toshiba Satellite A45 S51 laptop, given to me.
>
> 1. This machine is full of viruses. I removed alot of junk software in Safe
> Mode and got rid of alot of virus, but can't get it to stay up in full mode
> long enough to get the Console Utility working, and in Safe Mode it won't
> give me the Hardware Config screen so I can tell it boot off a CD to
> re-install the OS. I"ve found NO key that interrupts boot with the BIOS
> menu - not ESC, F1, F12, DEL, or any other F key.
>
> 2.Some of the keys produce no response, some (like space bar) produce
> another character (space bar gives semicolon); can't type the letter r, l or
> number 0, so can't do regedit or some other Runline things.
>
> Any way for a non-geek, but adventurous, cautious person to fix these at
> home? pay a professional?
>
> Any suggestions? Windows XP SP2

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 3:34:29 AM

Ann Barnes wrote:

> Est. 3 yr old Toshiba Satellite A45 S51 laptop, given to me.
>
> 1. This machine is full of viruses. I removed alot of junk software in Safe
> Mode and got rid of alot of virus, but can't get it to stay up in full mode
> long enough to get the Console Utility working, and in Safe Mode it won't
> give me the Hardware Config screen so I can tell it boot off a CD to
> re-install the OS. I"ve found NO key that interrupts boot with the BIOS
> menu - not ESC, F1, F12, DEL, or any other F key.
>
> 2.Some of the keys produce no response, some (like space bar) produce
> another character (space bar gives semicolon); can't type the letter r, l or
> number 0, so can't do regedit or some other Runline things.
>
> Any way for a non-geek, but adventurous, cautious person to fix these at
> home? pay a professional?
>
> Any suggestions? Windows XP SP2

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 3:34:30 AM

Barry,
Blow it away is what I am trying to do, but without the F1 or F2 keys
working I cannot run the Reinstall/Recovery disk from Toshiba. The system
came with that, not Windows XP itself (well, a book and sticker for XP, but
only the Toshiba CD). It has no 3.5 floppy drive, so can't boot off that and
format, etc. I don't know how to make a CD that would install Windows XP
from her CD. The CD she has REQUIRES F1 press to enter...I can't even get to
BIOS! Had to use the Console Utility from Toshiba to change boot order to
even boot off the CD, and had to delete dozen or so spyware/virus things,
clean up and remove (couldn't run regedit cause 'r' key didn't work, had to
find and click on the program itself)...blah blah...

Anyway, if you know of a way to wipe the drive without a floppy diskette or
Windows XP CD, let me know? I'd love to let her know we can do this! But I
can't recover all the software without that F1 key to best of my
knowledge...

TIA,
Ann in PA
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 1, 2005 3:37:48 AM

Keyboard removal is very easy for a trained laptop technician, usually
takes 30-60 seconds, often no tools or just a screwdriver, and for
untrained people, usually results in destruction of the laptop.
Usually, you can't do much with them other than replace them, but you
can check the cable connection.

There are so many "gotcha's" in laptop work, if you have no training or
experience, you will probalby damage the machine. For example, simply
not knowing about ZIF sockets used on flex cables (almost all of the
cables in a laptop, including the keyboard cable) can cause hundreds of
dollars worth of damage in performing the most innocent operations, like
just unplugging the keyboard from the motherboard.

Ann Barnes wrote:

> Newest piece of info...succeeded in removing enough add-on software in Safe
> Mode that I can get to the Toshiba Console, and stay up in full mode. So I
> changed the Boot Order and booted off the CD, but the F1 and F2 keys seem to
> be on the list of keys that don't work, so I can't get past the first
> screen.
>
> Can you help me address the non-working key issue??
> Could they be cleaned? I already blew them with compressed air, no
> better...afraid to open case as I might not get it back together; I've heard
> that's really tough..
>
> Thanks.
> Ann

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2005 6:09:37 AM

If push comes to shove, use and external USB or PS/2 keyboard.

Ann Barnes wrote:

> Barry,
> Blow it away is what I am trying to do, but without the F1 or F2 keys
> working I cannot run the Reinstall/Recovery disk from Toshiba. The system
> came with that, not Windows XP itself (well, a book and sticker for XP, but
> only the Toshiba CD). It has no 3.5 floppy drive, so can't boot off that and
> format, etc. I don't know how to make a CD that would install Windows XP
> from her CD. The CD she has REQUIRES F1 press to enter...I can't even get to
> BIOS! Had to use the Console Utility from Toshiba to change boot order to
> even boot off the CD, and had to delete dozen or so spyware/virus things,
> clean up and remove (couldn't run regedit cause 'r' key didn't work, had to
> find and click on the program itself)...blah blah...
>
> Anyway, if you know of a way to wipe the drive without a floppy diskette or
> Windows XP CD, let me know? I'd love to let her know we can do this! But I
> can't recover all the software without that F1 key to best of my
> knowledge...
>
> TIA,
> Ann in PA

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 2, 2005 6:09:44 AM

Ann Barnes wrote:

> Barry,
> Blow it away is what I am trying to do, but without the F1 or F2 keys
> working I cannot run the Reinstall/Recovery disk from Toshiba. The system
> came with that, not Windows XP itself (well, a book and sticker for XP, but
> only the Toshiba CD). It has no 3.5 floppy drive, so can't boot off that and
> format, etc. I don't know how to make a CD that would install Windows XP
> from her CD. The CD she has REQUIRES F1 press to enter...I can't even get to
> BIOS! Had to use the Console Utility from Toshiba to change boot order to
> even boot off the CD, and had to delete dozen or so spyware/virus things,
> clean up and remove (couldn't run regedit cause 'r' key didn't work, had to
> find and click on the program itself)...blah blah...
>
> Anyway, if you know of a way to wipe the drive without a floppy diskette or
> Windows XP CD, let me know? I'd love to let her know we can do this! But I
> can't recover all the software without that F1 key to best of my
> knowledge...
>
> TIA,
> Ann in PA

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 5, 2005 2:53:44 AM

Thanks, Barry. I don't have access to a USB keyboard, and there is no PS2
keyboard connector on this laptop. I gave up, and am returning to customer
asking her to contact Toshiba, since the keyboard is integral to the
motherboard. As these things always seem to happen, received it to work on
around June 27th or so. The warranty ran out on hardware on June 26th. Why
is this so often true??!!!

Anyway, the Dell I finished working on after that Toshiba also has no PS2
keyboard connector. Since I seldom use or work on laptops (by choice), I
don't know, but is this like the up and coming thing, no PS2 connection for
keyboard OR mouse? They both have S-Video connector, but no PS2, just lots
of USB. If so, guess I'll have to split for a used but working USB keyboard!

Thanks for trying, Barry.
Ann
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 5, 2005 7:59:02 PM

PS/2 connectors and serial ports are gone. Some laptops have no
parallel port also, but most still do.

You can buy new cheap keyboards for under $10, it's not big deal.

!