Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is my Athlon ii X3 @3.7 Bottlenecking my HD 5770 OC'ed?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 28, 2011 5:57:22 PM

Dear Community,

I have a Athlon ii X3 Overclocked significantly I just started to Overclock my Graphics Card as well, I was just Wondering if my Athlon II X3 would keep pace with My 5770 graphics card? It will be mostly for gaming and for short periods of time, I can always overclock my processor farther. Would it Bottleneck a HD 6950, that I am planning to get. According to WEI scores (current) Processor 7.1, and Graphics Card 7.5. Thanks in Advance!
a c 235 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 6:19:57 PM

it all depends on the specific game (and resolution) but since the athlon II series are not considered "great" gaming CPUs there will be games where you won't get the full potential of your CF 5770 or 6950 set up(s).
Score
April 28, 2011 6:27:48 PM

It does not matter If I keep overclocking my Athlon II, it is just not good for gaming?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2011 7:02:50 PM

the clock speed that the cpu will only increase gaming potential to a small degree. The more important aspects of a CPU is the arcitecture of the proceesor for example the level and size of the cache are, how many core in the processor, etc.

As for a single HD5770, yes It will keep up in my opinion, it has at least got three cores, and the graphics card is only a mid range entry, of course the resolution/game will efect how CPU intesive a game is, and that is where a slight bottleneck (if any ) will occure. Lower the resolution, as a general rule the more CPU and less graphics is utlised.

More of a bottleneck will occure with a HD950.

What resolution are you gaming at? Then I can help you further :) 
April 28, 2011 7:08:19 PM

adam_x_brookes said:
the clock speed that the cpu will only increase gaming potential to a small degree. The more important aspects of a CPU is the arcitecture of the proceesor for example the level and size of the cache are, how many core in the processor, etc.

As for a single HD5770, yes It will keep up in my opinion, it has at least got three cores, and the graphics card is only a mid range entry, of course the resolution/game will efect how CPU intesive a game is, and that is where a slight bottleneck (if any ) will occure. Lower the resolution, as a general rule the more CPU and less graphics is utlised.

More of a bottleneck will occure with a HD950.

What resolution are you gaming at? Then I can help you further :) 

Thanks for replies! Right now I am gaming at 1280x1024, but It will change soon to 1920x1080. If possible i'dd like to get multiple monitor up to 3, even if I have to sacrifice Grahics quality to medium.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2011 7:16:29 PM

at 1280 x 1024 the HD5770 will max the majority of cards, I know as I had a duel core set up and that card at one point. The HD 5770 however is not a card that can handle high graphics at high resolutions. If you are thinking about gaming at 1980 x 1020 then maybe you need to updrade graphics, maybe you could get a cheaper card and upgrade your cpu to perhaps and phenom x 4 995?
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2011 7:29:08 PM

It's dual not duel :)  .

You will be able to max out lots of games at 1920x1080 and play most of the games at good settings with a 5770. But if you want to play games that support dx11 and you want to enable it and the options that it brings then your fps will drop fast.

How the hack did you get that CPU to 3.7? It won't last a lot at that speed.

And your CPU is nothing to worry about with 5770. I also recommend buying a quad core from the phenom II series and not athlon II series if you want to buy a 6950.
Score
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 7:58:01 PM

At 1920x1080 your cpu will not bottleneck CF5770's or 6950.

At the current resolution, all the load is on the cpu.
Score
April 28, 2011 8:05:57 PM

Easy Answer to how i manage to get 3.7 is Tom's hardware Forums. I have considered the Phenom II X4 a lot, however I think is not worth getting it since Bulldozer is around the corner. Based on that my next CPU upgrade for sure will be a mobo/CPU combo either later this year or next. for what I have seen lifespan of graphics card is longer than processor, Plus you can always CF them. Another note on my Athlon ii it never reaches 50C, in fact yesterday I bump it up to 3.825Ghz and barely was touching 50'sC, all that on Stock voltage. Correct me if i am wrong in that decision of getting the most out of Current CPU and about Graphics card. So, My current system including Athlon ii x3 will end up being my Back up PC, with integrated graphics. Surely, Thanks for you replies, i appreciate them!
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 9:40:40 PM

To be honest if you set your rig up right and did so the best you could at 3.7ghz then no there isn't a bottleneck at least not with this card.
Score
a b U Graphics card
April 28, 2011 10:19:41 PM

The 5770 is not really fast enough for triple monitor gaming, IMO....
Score
May 20, 2011 6:21:39 PM

Best answer selected by cronos177.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 20, 2011 6:33:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!