What is the best mobo and ram for i5 2500K

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • RAM
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
October 7, 2011 5:22:49 AM

Hi guys,

I am updating my computer for upcoming bf3 game and planning on getting i5 2500K CPU. What mobo and ram (brand/model) would be best for gaming. I will also be getting Win7 x64.
Right now I am planning to keep my old MSI 275 GTX OC, Raptor HDD, and 700W OCZ PS.

Thank you.

Stan

More about : mobo ram 2500k

a b à CPUs
October 7, 2011 7:48:48 AM

Budget?
Do you need SLI support?
Will you be over-clocking?
Where will you be buying from? US/UK?
Preferred websites?

Any special requirements? Front Panel USB3.0/Firewire ect?
m
l
October 7, 2011 4:39:58 PM

Budget is CAN$500-600.
I don't think I will be doing SLI, but that's a good option to have.
I might overclock - but not sure yet (I haven't updated my PC in a while now). I want stable gaming system.
We'll be buying in Canada.
No preference on website at this point - your recommendations appreciated.

Also, I have my old SB Audio sound card, its still gives me great sound - should I upgrade that as well? or just keep my old one.

Thanks Adrian.

S
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2011 6:07:54 PM

I think most of modern motherboards have it's own sounds
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2011 7:49:14 PM

Like an OLD SoundBlaster, or only somewhat older one ( like a 1st gen Xi-Fi? ) If it's a really old sound card, most mboards today have equivalent or better audio onboard.

As for mboard, your usual suspects of Z68 boards should be fine ( Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock. ) All of them make some pretty solid boards for $100 - $150, and if you go over that, you can get some really nice ones. If you want to save more money, a P67 board is also an option.

RAM is the same thing. Get your usual suspects ( Patriot, Corsair, Mushkin, G. Skills, Crucial, Kingston ) and you'll be fine. I'd recommend 1333 or 1600 speeds with a CAS 9. Faster RAM will be much more expensive but will only give you marginal performance gains.

EST:
i5 - $200
8GB ( 2 x 4GB 1600 CAS 9 ) - $50
Z68 mboard - $150
Total - $400 ( Granted that's USD, but it's close )

You might want to think about replacing your GTX 275, but that's completely optional.
m
l
October 7, 2011 7:55:28 PM

I am all with Red Jaron at the exception that I will not budge off Kingston memory ram. They are extremely sturdy and reliable. Although, are they certified of the mobo you are looking for is THE question but in my personal experience I really doubt Kingston are not certified.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2011 8:12:25 PM

sebastien said:
I am all with Red Jaron at the exception that I will not budge off Kingston memory ram. They are extremely sturdy and reliable. Although, are they certified of the mobo you are looking for is THE question but in my personal experience I really doubt Kingston are not certified.

Good point, I failed to list that ( fixed now. ) I've had good experience with Kingston in the past too.
m
l
October 8, 2011 3:55:56 AM

I have 1st gen X-Fi Extreme Audio sound card. On-board audio better then this card?

So right now I am to get
i5 2500K,
z68 mobo (which one gigabyte or ASUS, and which model would be better),
8G of Corsair Vengeance CAD9?
with Win 7 x64 of course.

Also guys I heard stock CPU fan is not the greatest. Should I get a 3rd party fan? If to upgrade I'd like to get air cooling fan (never used liquid cooling before, kind of not sure about that).

Thanks for tips guys.

S
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 8, 2011 5:54:51 AM

I'm not certain, but I don't think the old X-Fi will have that much better audio than most current onboard audio chips. Maybe I'm wrong, but meh.

As for mboard make and model, that really comes down to what you want to do with it. If you're going for cheap performance, I'd probably say Gigabyte or MSI. If you want a few extra features, get an ASRock. If you want all the bells and whistles, an Asus might fit you better. The challenge for you will be to find the model with the options you want without spending more than you want ( and Gigabyte has a LOT of models to choose from. ) Do you want onboard video outputs? An eSATA or USB 3.0 support? Do you care about PCI-e 3.0? Do you want future CrossFire or SLI support? Do you need SATA III controllers? DP you want a high phase VRM for OC stability?

My one cauton of the Corsair Vengeance is the high rise heat spreaders on it that may interfere with some aftermarket CPU coolers. But this isn't a given with all coolers.

Speaking of coolers, I wouldn't bother with liquid if you're unsure. You can get some great OCing on air alone. The Cooler Master 212+ and Xigmatek Gaia are two great air coolers for only $30. However, the stock i5 cooler is quite capable on its own. Not that it will handle serious overclocking, but it's not terribly loud and it does the job for "free" since you're already paying for it.
October 8, 2011 5:45:15 PM

Best answer selected by stasl1.
m
l
October 8, 2011 5:46:25 PM

Thanks dude!

Great tips - going to build it today :) 

Thanks again man.

S
m
l
!