Pci-e 2.1 gpu not compatible with really old mobo?

bass3p

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
i recently bought a radeon hd 5670 and whenever i boot up with the card my monitor is completely black , ive tested different things, installing drivers, adjusting voltage settings, but i can't get this card to work at all. my previous card works fine on the computer (crashes in games with nvlldmkm.sys error though, which is why im switching to a new card). anyways, is it possible that my motherboard does not support 2.1? my motherboard is around 4 years old with the last update being in 2008 and it cant be my psu because that is new with 550 watts.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
PCI-E 2.1 GPU's have issues with PCI-E 1.0 slots. (Edit, for clarity, I'm not referring to the amount of lanes, but the generation of the PCI-Express slot itself. PCI-E 1.0 slots still have 16 lanes, just that they're the 1.0 generation of said PCI-Express 16x).

Most likely, that's your culprit. What's your specific motherboard make/model?

bass3p

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
my bad, had a 2.0 pci-e slot on mobo, but asus has discontinued support for my motherboard in 2008, and im assuming, since pci-e 2.1 is relatively recent, there is no support for a pci-e 2.1 gpu on my motherboard and as a result, the black screen. does that seem reasonable? its either that reason or the video card is faulty.

bass3p

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
i installed it before hand after uninstalling previous drivers. i cant do anything with this card. ill install it, and boot and my screen stays black. im really leaning to a faulty card here but im not quite sure, anyone know how to check other than putting it into another system? either faulty card or mobo is incompatible or something.