AMD motherboards getting SLi support

Would you consider getting an AMD motherboard with SLi?

• Yes

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Maybe, depends on price

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I'd have to see benchmarks and further features first

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
This might be more significant once we see how well AM3+ boards and Bulldozer actually perform relative to recent i3/i5 CPUs, SLI vs Crossfire scaling, and, of course, AMD's pricing on the mainboards/CPUs.

4745454b

Titan
At first I was trying to figure out why AMD would do this. If Nvidia is going to block PhysX from working on Nvidia cards when an AMD card is present, why should AMD allow SLI on their boards. But then I remembered that current gen Intel boards (1155, 1156, 1366) can allow both CF and SLI. My guess is AMD decided to "join the club" and do the same. The fewer reasons people have to count BD out the better. I wonder however what the GPU of AMD is thinking about those crazy CPU guys.

honestly i'm agree with that statement. now those who want to build using AMD cpu in the future doesn't have to worry about hacking (or looking for older boards with nvidia chipset) if they want to get SLI in their rig

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
However, we’ve been recently hearing chants of “SLI for AMD CPUs”, and figured that now is a great time to do it. After all, we want to make sure gamers can benefit from the new CPU competitive landscape and ensure they have NVIDIA SLI – the highest performance, most stable multi-GPU solution - to game on!

Wow, really? There is some really big irony there. The reason why AMD ditched SLi was to give support to Lucid Hydra which has yet to be successful.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Since Intel and Nvidia aren't really buddy buddy anymore, Nvidia needed a Mobo partner to license it's Nforce chips. Who's closer (physically as well) than AMD? While Nvidia does infringe on AMD's business in making GPU's, I'd be curious to see how much of an impact it would really make.

Besides, if AMD can sell more motherboards than it's currently selling, even if it has to share some of that profit with Nvidia, then why not?

As Dfusco stated, the more choices, the better.

But will they be using chipsets or BIOS cookies?

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

From the looks of it, it won't be the chipset itself (at least right now), but the ability to run SLi.