Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SLI not working on new drivers.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b Î Nvidia
April 28, 2011 6:53:55 PM

Damnit guys...

Previously I had 270.51 Beta Drivers, and they worked fine. I went to update to 270.61 today, and I'm having problems. No, I didn't use driver sweeper at first, I should have but I didn't. I went to install 270.61 (clean installtion) and when I restarted it said no hardware detected, or something along those lines. So I cleaned with driver sweeper, restarted, cleaned the control panal, cleaned with driver sweeper again, installed 270.61 as a clean installation, it got up and running, but there is no set SLI option, only enable Physx. So I clean everything off again, and go to reinstall 270.51 Beta Drivers, I get them installed, but I don't have SLI AGAIN!?

I have no idea what to do at this point. Rig is in sig.

Tried a system restore to yesturday, didn't work. Tried a system restore to last week, didn't work.

Apparently a LOT of people are having SLI issues on the drivers according to the Nvidia forums. One guy said system restoring worked for him, but it obviously didn't for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

More about : sli working drivers

a b Î Nvidia
April 28, 2011 7:03:19 PM

Try driver sweeper and then install 266.58.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
April 28, 2011 7:09:56 PM

Yeah guess thats my next option... 270.51 worked before, I don't know why it wouldn't work now. Thats waht I was thinking but I didn't want to have to go through it again. :(  Oh well I'll try, no harm. I'll come back with an edit.

EDIT - Yeah, that didn't work either. This is getting rediculous. How can a complete system restore, and a drive reversion to TWO known working drivers not fix this? This doesn't even make sense.

And yes, I used driver sweeper everytime (sans that first initial time).
Score
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
April 28, 2011 8:11:34 PM

Have you tried deleting the Nvidia files from the system32 folder? And make sure your OS is updated, I couldn't install the 270.61's for my 560's until I did but my 8800's had been running just fine on that driver only minutes before.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
April 28, 2011 8:47:02 PM

Thanks Mouse, I will try that. My OS is completely updated both with Service Packs and according to windows update, but I'll try that.

Should I just uninstall the drivers from Control panal, then run drivers sweeper. Restart run drivers (to make sure) and THEN delete the Nvidia files from the system32 folder?

Also what are the Nvidia files located there? I couldnt' find them when I just took a look, and a google search didn't help me.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
April 28, 2011 9:20:13 PM

The files listed on my OS start with "nvapi64.dll" and go to "nvwgf2umx.dll". Whenever I've had problems installing a driver I've found that by deleting those .dll files and then reinstalling has always cured the problem, I don't like those driver sweeper programs as I've found that they either don't delete everything or they delete something that they shouldn't.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
April 29, 2011 1:41:34 AM

Yeah I deleted those, ran drive sweeper, cleaned everything in the control panal, checked all the folders, ran driver sweeper in safe mode. Installed 266.58, still not option to enable SLI. I have no idea what to do at this point sans reinstalling Windows, and that just isn't possible at the moment for me.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
April 29, 2011 1:49:39 AM

Is it possible that there is something wrong with one of the cards? Are they OC'd at all?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
April 29, 2011 3:28:09 AM

They were, I downclocked them though. They had just been working perfectly before the driver update so I don't assume one just went bad. DXDIAG, Nvidia Control Panal, GPUZ, MSI Afterburner all recognize I HAVE a second card, just Nvidia Control Panal will only let me select it as Physx. I guess the next step is to take out the first card and see if it works... Guess I'll do that next after I finish my final project for this class, and then edit/reply with results.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
April 29, 2011 6:15:54 AM

Yeah, well all PCI-e slots are working, and both graphics cards work on their own. Its not the cards, its not the PCI-e slots. It has to do with the drivers I installed, but I have no idea why cleaning them out and installing known working drivers, or why a system restore didn't help.
Score
April 29, 2011 6:33:58 AM

Make sure that each card is working fine.YOu should roll back to old drivers.New drivers are optimized for Fermi architecture and can basically brick old cards.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
April 29, 2011 7:00:19 AM

As I said, they both work just fine, alone. Driver rollback, Driver Sweeper + Old Drivers, DriveR Sweeper + Older Srivers I knew worked, and System Restore all prove unhelpful, the computer works fine, Nvidia control just doesn't show the option to enable SLI.

Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
April 29, 2011 11:20:12 AM

Pc Guru_07 said:
Make sure that each card is working fine.YOu should roll back to old drivers.New drivers are optimized for Fermi architecture and can basically brick old cards.

What?? The newer drivers work just fine on the older cards so stop with the disinformation Dippy. :non: 
Score
a b Î Nvidia
April 29, 2011 5:30:46 PM

Haha yeah, I knew that.

Anyway, is there anyway I can install Windows without having to reinstal all of my applications and games? I really don't have the time to do this anytime soon, but I think its my only option.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
April 29, 2011 5:41:58 PM

Do you not have a spare HDD lying around?
Score
a b Î Nvidia
April 29, 2011 6:18:12 PM

Thinking about just making a bootdrive on a POS HDD? Yeah I can do that. I also heard about a repair install for Vista, I have to "slipstream" my SP2 into an ISO or something like that according to here

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/230249-sliptream-vist...

So I guess I have two things to try today. Thanks Mouse.
Score

Best solution

a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
April 29, 2011 6:35:12 PM

Helltech said:
Thinking about just making a bootdrive on a POS HDD? Yeah I can do that. I also heard about a repair install for Vista, I have to "slipstream" my SP2 into an ISO or something like that according to here

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/230249-sliptream-vist...

So I guess I have two things to try today. Thanks Mouse.

That's the one! That way you would be able to rule out hardware issues and know that the fault probably within windows itself.
a b Î Nvidia
April 29, 2011 8:44:31 PM

Yeah I'm just in the middle of backing up my OS drive right now, all of this messing around with it is getting me worried. So after that I'll make a boot drive on another HDD I got laying around.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
April 30, 2011 4:54:58 PM

Well... a new OS worked. So I spent all day reinstalling Vista.... Yeah I know everyone hates Vista, but besides this little flub up (which if I blame on anyone I can blame Nvidia), I've never had a problem with it and had it since the day it came out, so no point in spending money on something else.

Anyway, its working perfectly. Before I finally decided to install the OS again I, tried my friends GTX 280's, tried my friends SLI Bridge, tried my friends power supply. None of those helped.

So something with the driver made an irreversible problem with the OS.

Well thanks for your help Mouse, even if it did have to be the "last resort" option.
Score
a b Î Nvidia
April 30, 2011 4:55:14 PM

Best answer selected by Helltech.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
a b \ Driver
April 30, 2011 6:27:16 PM

No worries mate, I'm sorry it had to come to that but sometimes it's the only way.
Score
!