Heat concerns with 560 Ti SLI

doublehawk

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I'm thinking of building a new system featuring two 560 Ti cards in SLI, but as the title states I'm a little worried about the heat build-up. I've never done SLI before, but my instincts are telling me that there's no way two big, hot cards are going to sit next to each other and not get insanely hot.

Here's some information about my proposed set-up:

Mobo:
MSI P67a-G43 B3

GPUs:
2x Palit NE5X56T01102 1140F GeForce GTX 560 Ti

Case:
CoolerMaster HAF912

This will be in a small room with another computer, and while the room does get a little warm it's certainly not a second-floor hotbox or anything. The air works well in here when it's on and I don't anticipate the ambient temps getting too out of hand. I'm not going to be overclocking anything out of the gate, so I don't think that temps inside the case will be high beyond this issue. I run games at 1920x1200.

What do you guys think about that combination of factors? Even though I'd really like to do SLI, I don't want to spend money on a hassle that's going to blue screen and overheat, and I'd rather just get a single card if SLI's going to cause me more grief than happiness. This computer would only be used for gaming, and as I have implied my main concern is stability.

So what are your recommendations? Anyone running a similar set-up?

Thanks

Solution
Palit are fine, theyre cheaper and you just get what you pay for. Theyre going to be slightly hotter. Also yeah MSI are usually good for GPU's, i'm sure that one is pretty cool. Generally though i don't think you have anything to worry about. You have a pretty decent case and GPU's in general can take a lot of punishment. The max temperature is usually around 100c as opposed to a CPU's 70c. For future reference, most people like to stay at least 5c below that on stress so they know that on games it's probably not even going to hit 10c below that.
I couldn't say for sure but i don't think it is going to overheat too badly without overclocking. At least not to the point of crashing or damage to your parts. One thing is though, i think one card usually gets hotter than the other in SLI so it might be worth getting a better brand for one of them. I'm going to do GTX 460 SLI at some point and my plan is one Palit and one MSI Cyclone.

doublehawk

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

Is the MSI 560 Ti that much better that it would make a difference in that regard (or does the Palit just suck)? I feel like it's pretty much going to be the top card that suffers since that's going to be the one which has the lack of space for the fan to work and hot air rising.

I'm okay with cards being hot as long as they're stable.

Why_Me: I'm not sure what you're getting at. That's the case I was looking at already from my original post. Are you implying that it's enough/not enough cooling?

Any other info would be great guys, thanks

Palit are fine, theyre cheaper and you just get what you pay for. Theyre going to be slightly hotter. Also yeah MSI are usually good for GPU's, i'm sure that one is pretty cool. Generally though i don't think you have anything to worry about. You have a pretty decent case and GPU's in general can take a lot of punishment. The max temperature is usually around 100c as opposed to a CPU's 70c. For future reference, most people like to stay at least 5c below that on stress so they know that on games it's probably not even going to hit 10c below that.

Solution