First Bulldozer prices/specs

Techpowerup just released an article giving some informaton on the awaited bulldozer.
it seems that a 8 core 16mb cache 3.1 Ghz (turbo to 4.0) will cost around 223.5 Dollars.

here is the article so you can see for yourself:

http://www.techpowerup.com/153213/AMD-FX-8120-Listed-on-Ukrainian-Store.html

Do you guys think that 8 cores is... well, a bit useless?
I dont know where we are going to dump so much performance if most aplications run on dual cores still.

capttoilet

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
4 of those cores are going to be wasted in most games, unless you are BC2 or BF3 and then you will soak those cores up like a sponge

jdwii

Splendid

HA HA i love reading posts like this. It's so funny i mean where will you be in 3 years "12 cores is to much for gaming 4 of them will be on idle" Not everyone just wants to play games made today and 5 years ago a lot of people are buying PC's to last them for 3 years.

If i Liston to people like you i would have a Phenom II x2 instead of a Athlon II x4 and i would not even be able to play Sims 3 or Crysis 2 close to max like i do on my Amd Athlon II x4 + Amd Radeon 6950.

sebastien

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2010
I agree with jdwii.
Cores is one thing but not the entire solution to gaming performances.
Although I have a core 2 duo 2.4 and a GTX 8800, I am pretty sure I can still run those two games at least at lowest setting. Though the FPS will never exceed 28 FPS for sure....
Bulldozer sounds very promising and who knows, perhaps the BD will surpass SB as we know them today for the simple reason AMD did benchmark with samples based with clocks extremely low and using chipsets that may prevent best BD results; therefore not adequate for BD new architecture. The only point of concern for me and my need is that I am not sure if dual channel is the way to go.
I would not be surprise if BD scales in benchies between SBe and Ivy for lots of segments... Let's wait and see.

popatim

Titan
I'd be willing to bet that the turbo speed only kicks in for 4 of the cores when the other 4 are idle like thuban does so this would be near perfect for gaming IMO but $233 buck for top of theline 8-core? This has me worried what performance will be.