New Mobo/RAM/PSU/GPU won't boot!!

ecarter202

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
So I upgrade my computer (Intel i5) with a new PSU, GPU & Case.

PSU: SeaSonic 750w
GPU: EVGA 670gtx
Case: Antec Nine Hundred

Install everything and a capacitor blew underneath my RAM slots.
I bought a new Mobo (ASRock z75 pro3), go to boot everything up and my computer turns on, then turns off, then turns on, then turns off. There are no graphics or bios loading during this process.

So I removed the RAM, and it continues to run without turning on & off.... of course, no bios loads during this, either.

Basically, my computer will not stay on with ram, will continue to run withOUT RAM, and will not display bios AT ALL!

Anything help??? Thank you!

vtchill

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
I am having the exact same on/off power cycling issue with the ASRock z75 pro3.

My setup is:
i5 3750K
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
ASRock z75 pro3
Antec Earthwatts 430D (430W) power supply

I have my rig breadboarded right now on my desk and here are my observations:

1) Computer will boot/post fine if either stick is put into memory slot A1 or A2 (only 1 stick being used, non-dual channel mode).
2) Computer will boost/post fine if both sticks are put into memory slots A1 and A2 at the same time (2 sticks in use, non-dual channel mode)
3) Power cycling issue is seen if either stick is put in B1 or B2 (regardless if the other stick is being used or not)

I am starting to think that memory slots B1 and B2 on the mobo are defective and causing the power cycle every few seconds. I have verified that with the combinations that boot the BIOS is detecting everything properly.

If anyone else has seen this issue or has found a solution please let us know.

vtchill

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Updating this thread with the solution I found in case someone comes later with the same problem.

Solution that worked for me
Believe it or not after banging my head against the desk for hours I took a last ditch effort and re-seated the CPU (for a 3rd time) and everything booted up and the memory now works in dual channel mode in either slots 1-3 or 2-4.

I have no idea why the first 2 attempts to seat the CPU didn't yield a working system but the 3rd time was the charm.

So my advice to anyone reading this later is to basically triple check everything because the smallest thing like a CPU not quite touching 1 or 2 contacts properly can cause non-booting and power cycling in what appears to be a completely unrelated part of the system.