Revolution Rumors To Be Taken With A Grain Of Salt

Last response: in Video Games
January 16, 2005 5:02:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

gains of salt in hand? okay good, here you go

http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=31827

quote:

'This is from some guy on the Nintendopower forums. He apparently was
the first to give good DS specs before they were revealed...so this may
be good.'

quoted text:

"There has been a TON of speculation on Nintendo's upcoming console but
little is actually known about it. There are so many different ideas
that no one really knows what to think. So here are some supposed
"facts" about the Revolution. I can't reveal my source because I've
been asked not to. Sorry guys. I would say that this info has at least
a 65% chance of being accurate. My source has been right before and
he's also been wrong. Here goes......

Ok first things first. Yes, Nintendo will utilize gyros in it's
controllers. I think most people pretty much already took this as fact.
Also, the Rev will indeed have dual processors. Also broadband is built
in, no modem to buy. Nintendo has an online strategy in development. It
will be implemented on the DS first. There are no current plans to
connect the DS and the Rev....the GB Evolution on the other hand......

The Rev will have four controller ports. It will have a hard drive
which will be used in much the same way as the 64DD was supposed to be
used. Things like Dolby Digital 5.1 and high def monitor support are
included. There is no type of virtual reality or any kind of headset
planned. It is backwards compatible with Gamecube games. It will use
the HD-DVD format and not Sony's Blu-Ray. Controllers are not wireless,
but wireless controllers are planned. It will launch with an unnamed
Mario game and work on Zelda has already begun. Super Smash Brothers is
in mid development and will be a launch title.

Ok so what's the Revolutionary part? That's what you all want to know.
Well my source wouldn't tell me. He said it would get him into too much
trouble, and could give Sony and Microsoft an advantage at this stage
in the game. But he did say this; "if you think too hard you'll never
guess what it is. It's nothing "new" technically speaking. It's just
something that hasn't really been applied to video games yet."

He then said "touching is good but feeling is better". What exactly
that means I have no idea. Some sort of force feedback device? We
already have rumble packs."
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 10:25:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

The Following is an Interview with Iwata (President of Nintendo). There
really wasn't anything said in that post though, except regarding the
GB Evolution, which is also greatly rumoured, considering the DS'
success so far, although it is losing steam considering it's lack of
support. Already seems as though each release has a Nintendo Franchise
attached to it.

<interview>
"Nintendo president confirms his company's next-gen console will be
unveiled at E3, says it will lure retired gamers and nongamers to the
market.

TOKYO--In a full-page interview in Thursday's Kyoto Journal, Nintendo
president Satoru Iwata commented on the current state of the company's
next-generation game console--being developed under the working title
"Revolution."

Iwata said the Revolution will cause a "paradigm shift" in video
gaming, and reconfirmed that details on the machine will be unveiled at
the upcoming E3 in May. He added that the machine will most likely come
out somewhere between 2005 and 2006, when Sony and Microsoft are
expected to release their next-generation consoles. Currently very
little is known about the Revolution except that it may not use a
conventional controller and may be able to connect to a PC monitor as
well as the traditional TV screen.

"The keyword for the DS was 'innovative product,' but it will be
'paradigm shift in [game] play' with the Revolution," Iwata said in his
interview with Kyoto's popular local newspaper.

"The concept behind our new console, tentatively named 'Revolution,' is
the same as the DS. We want it to broaden the [video gaming] audience
range, and we don't want it to be something that people will see as too
irrelevant to them, too difficult to use, or as something that wastes
space. We'll announce specific details at the E3 ... It will most
likely come out between this year [and] next year, which is considered
to be the transition period for home consoles," Iwata said.

Iwata said the DS and PSP aren't directly competing, because Nintendo
is aiming for nongamers and retired gamers with its handheld, while
Sony is targeting the traditional gaming audience. He added that his
company will also attempt to avoid competing in the next-gen console
market.

"Similar to the relationship that the DS has with the PSP, we won't
fight over the same share of the pie with another company. We have no
intention of fighting over shares of the market in a way that will
shrink it. For us, success will depend on whether we can call back
people that have stopped playing games, and whether we can also bring
in a new base of customers. That way, our share [of the market] will
increase since the market will grow bigger," Iwata said.

Iwata also took time to comment on the success of the DS. "We shipped
2.8 million units in Japan and America by the end of last year, and
most had reached the hands of our customers by early after New Year's.
Its sales are very good when compared to the launch of other game
machines we've sold in the past. We feel that the DS has gained a wide
range of audience. Aside from video game fans, people that haven't
played games in a long time, or never played games before, have been
picking up the DS," Iwata said. "According to research, the sales of
game hardware for one month, starting in late November, increased by 75
percent compared to the past year, and game software sales also rose by
about 10 percent. I believe that the DS is hindering people from losing
interest in video games."

When asked by the Kyoto Journal what he thought of the PSP, Iwata
stated relatively bluntly that Sony is going in a direction that
Nintendo doesn't believe in, though he softened that by saying he
welcomes Sony's entrance into the market--since it should expand the
total gaming audience.

"In the past, the video game industry grew on high-quality graphics and
data volume," Iwata said. "We decided to move into a different
direction, since we believe that those days have ended. But by watching
the PSP, we see that there are also people that have different thoughts
from us. But it's up to the consumers to make the judgment, and it'll
also be good if we can expand the market size by bringing out our best
points."

Iwata also commented briefly on Nintendo's entrance into the movie
market, hinting that although the company is strongly considering the
move, it isn't completely sure if it will be going into the business
just yet.

"We're strongly considering the matter. I've been in contact with the
script writers, directors, and the production companies. We're looking
into the potentials between movies and video games. But if we decide to
really go into the movie business, it will be around summer of 2006 at
the earliest." <end of interview>

Also. the belief is that the N5 (Revolution) won't have a standard
controller that you hold in your hand. That's the main rumour circling
the project name. No wires, no analog, no d-pad. A sper advanced
eye-toy, or maybe a mind reading devics that sticks to the wall with
velcro, right above your plasma television ?
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 10:40:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

Guess What? The above interview was already posted on another topic. So
shame my hands, and I apologize.
January 16, 2005 2:03:04 PM

radeonr420@yahoo.com wrote:

> The Rev will have four controller ports. It will have a hard drive
> which will be used in much the same way as the 64DD was supposed to be
> used.

Disappointing. I've been hoping that the next Nintendo system would use
wireless controllers only, allowing for much more than 4 people to play
on one system. I've had a great time with 10 player Saturn Bomberman,
and I'd like to see more massively multiplayer offline games like that.

-- CE
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 9:23:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

> It will launch with an unnamed
> Mario game and work on Zelda has already begun. Super Smash Brothers is
> in mid development and will be a launch title.

Man what a revolution.. the same old games over and over...
January 17, 2005 12:11:20 AM

"Paulo De Souza" <Paulo2002@blueyonder.co.ukSPAMMAPS> wrote in message
> > It will launch with an unnamed
> > Mario game and work on Zelda has already begun. Super Smash Brothers is
> > in mid development and will be a launch title.
>
> Man what a revolution.. the same old games over and over...

Sony
Sega
Nintendo

Which of the above three consoles *hasn't* had rehashed old games? Answer:
none.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:22:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

Paulo De Souza, did you really mean to say this?
>>It will launch with an unnamed
>>Mario game and work on Zelda has already begun. Super Smash Brothers is
>>in mid development and will be a launch title.
>
> Man what a revolution.. the same old games over and over...

No, you're thinking of EA. Nintendo uses the same characters but in
different games.

Tim (tm)
--
tim (at) economic-truth.co.uk
http://www.ugvm.org.uk - the uk.games.video.misc magazine

CE wrote:
> radeonr420@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> The Rev will have four controller ports. It will have a hard drive
>> which will be used in much the same way as the 64DD was supposed to be
>> used.
>

> Disappointing. I've been hoping that the next Nintendo system would use
> wireless controllers only, allowing for much more than 4 people to play
> on one system. I've had a great time with 10 player Saturn Bomberman,
> and I'd like to see more massively multiplayer offline games like that.
>
> -- CE

Not me, at least, not until they can get the price down. Initial costs
for new consoles are high enough without $50 control pads, plus batteries.

--
Scott

Game Pilgrimage
http://users4.ev1.net/~sheath
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 9:24:24 AM

<radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> gains of salt in hand? okay good, here you go
>
> http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=31827
>

> quote:
>

> 'This is from some guy on the Nintendopower forums. He apparently was
> the first to give good DS specs before they were revealed...so this may
> be good.'
>
> quoted text:
>
> "There has been a TON of speculation on Nintendo's upcoming console but
> little is actually known about it. There are so many different ideas
> that no one really knows what to think. So here are some supposed
> "facts" about the Revolution. I can't reveal my source because I've
> been asked not to. Sorry guys. I would say that this info has at least
> a 65% chance of being accurate. My source has been right before and
> he's also been wrong. Here goes......
>
> Ok first things first. Yes, Nintendo will utilize gyros in it's
> controllers. I think most people pretty much already took this as fact.
> Also, the Rev will indeed have dual processors. Also broadband is built
> in, no modem to buy. Nintendo has an online strategy in development. It
> will be implemented on the DS first. There are no current plans to
> connect the DS and the Rev....the GB Evolution on the other hand......
>
> The Rev will have four controller ports. It will have a hard drive
> which will be used in much the same way as the 64DD was supposed to be
> used. Things like Dolby Digital 5.1 and high def monitor support are
> included. There is no type of virtual reality or any kind of headset
> planned. It is backwards compatible with Gamecube games. It will use
> the HD-DVD format and not Sony's Blu-Ray.

HD-DVD over Blu-Ray? Don't do it Nintendo!
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:39:47 AM

"Marty" <NOSPAMmarty1967@hotmail.com> writes:
> Sony
> Sega
> Nintendo
>
> Which of the above three consoles *hasn't* had rehashed old games? Answer:
> none.

Heh, even Microsoft is already doing it, and they've only been around
for 1 generation!

-Miles
--
Saa, shall we dance? (from a dance-class advertisement)
Anonymous

Bobby Butane wrote:

> or maybe a mind reading devics that sticks to the wall with
> velcro, right above your plasma television ?

Lol, love that line.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 12:16:25 PM

mganai wrote:

> <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> gains of salt in hand? okay good, here you go
>>
>> http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=31827
>>

>> quote:
>>

>> 'This is from some guy on the Nintendopower forums. He apparently was
>> the first to give good DS specs before they were revealed...so this may
>> be good.'
>>
>> quoted text:
>>
>> "There has been a TON of speculation on Nintendo's upcoming console but
>> little is actually known about it. There are so many different ideas
>> that no one really knows what to think. So here are some supposed
>> "facts" about the Revolution. I can't reveal my source because I've
>> been asked not to. Sorry guys. I would say that this info has at least
>> a 65% chance of being accurate. My source has been right before and
>> he's also been wrong. Here goes......
>>
>> Ok first things first. Yes, Nintendo will utilize gyros in it's
>> controllers. I think most people pretty much already took this as fact.
>> Also, the Rev will indeed have dual processors. Also broadband is built
>> in, no modem to buy. Nintendo has an online strategy in development. It
>> will be implemented on the DS first. There are no current plans to
>> connect the DS and the Rev....the GB Evolution on the other hand......
>>
>> The Rev will have four controller ports. It will have a hard drive
>> which will be used in much the same way as the 64DD was supposed to be
>> used. Things like Dolby Digital 5.1 and high def monitor support are
>> included. There is no type of virtual reality or any kind of headset
>> planned. It is backwards compatible with Gamecube games. It will use
>> the HD-DVD format and not Sony's Blu-Ray.
>

> HD-DVD over Blu-Ray? Don't do it Nintendo!

Well, at least they're using a standard format, not their own (making it
cheaper for games developers)

If they allow DVD playback, I'd rather HD-DVD over Blue-Ray. But that's *if*

And of course, this isn't fact yet. So it could still all be wrong
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 2:43:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,uk.games.video.gamecube,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

"Paulo De Souza" <Paulo2002@blueyonder.co.ukSPAMMAPS> wrote in message
>> It will launch with an unnamed
>> Mario game and work on Zelda has already begun. Super Smash Brothers is
>> in mid development and will be a launch title.
>
> Man what a revolution.. the same old games over and over...

Not being funny, but this system works, and I for one don't have a problem
with updated versions of games, particularly mario, zelda & metroid
games....they still rock through all the time they've been around, there are
still games out there that have failed to match the success and
sophistication of some of these games.

Kev
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:06:42 PM

Mantorok wrote:
> "Paulo De Souza" <Paulo2002@blueyonder.co.ukSPAMMAPS> wrote in message
> >> It will launch with an unnamed
> >> Mario game and work on Zelda has already begun. Super Smash Brothers is
> >> in mid development and will be a launch title.
> >
> > Man what a revolution.. the same old games over and over...
> >

> Not being funny, but this system works, and I for one don't have a problem
> with updated versions of games, particularly mario, zelda & metroid
> games....they still rock through all the time they've been around, there are
> still games out there that have failed to match the success and
> sophistication of some of these games.
>
> Kev

I agree, so long as the games improve, I'll keep buying them. People
don't moan when another season of a TV series comes out, so why games?
It's all entertainment.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:05:54 PM

"Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
> mganai wrote:
>>
>> <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> gains of salt in hand? okay good, here you go
>>>
>>> http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=31827
>>>

>>> quote:
>>>

>>> 'This is from some guy on the Nintendopower forums. He apparently was
>>> the first to give good DS specs before they were revealed...so this may
>>> be good.'
>>>
>>> quoted text:
>>>
>>> "There has been a TON of speculation on Nintendo's upcoming console but
>>> little is actually known about it. There are so many different ideas
>>> that no one really knows what to think. So here are some supposed
>>> "facts" about the Revolution. I can't reveal my source because I've
>>> been asked not to. Sorry guys. I would say that this info has at least
>>> a 65% chance of being accurate. My source has been right before and
>>> he's also been wrong. Here goes......
>>>
>>> Ok first things first. Yes, Nintendo will utilize gyros in it's
>>> controllers. I think most people pretty much already took this as fact.
>>> Also, the Rev will indeed have dual processors. Also broadband is built
>>> in, no modem to buy. Nintendo has an online strategy in development. It
>>> will be implemented on the DS first. There are no current plans to
>>> connect the DS and the Rev....the GB Evolution on the other hand......
>>>
>>> The Rev will have four controller ports. It will have a hard drive
>>> which will be used in much the same way as the 64DD was supposed to be
>>> used. Things like Dolby Digital 5.1 and high def monitor support are
>>> included. There is no type of virtual reality or any kind of headset
>>> planned. It is backwards compatible with Gamecube games. It will use
>>> the HD-DVD format and not Sony's Blu-Ray.
>>

>> HD-DVD over Blu-Ray? Don't do it Nintendo!
>
> Well, at least they're using a standard format, not their own (making it
> cheaper for games developers)

The Cube discs were based off of DVD technology. It was mainly that they've
had a different method of having their files read, and are spun backwards
that set them apart from the standard DVD-ROM media. Only problem I can see
coming from the Cube discs are the smaller capacity.

> If they allow DVD playback, I'd rather HD-DVD over Blue-Ray. But that's
> *if*

How come? Only real setbacks in comparison for Blu-Ray are necessary changes
in manufacturing and authoring tech, and any associated costs would, at
least IMO, be more than made up for the format's advantages, which would
include greater storage capacity, which could only improve as companies
manage to get more layers out of the new discs. And what better way for
Nintendo to overcome their console media capacity disadvantages?

> And of course, this isn't fact yet. So it could still all be wrong

I know. Just stating my opinion on where things should be going.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 9:06:18 PM

mganai wrote:

> HD-DVD over Blu-Ray? Don't do it Nintendo!

But they're Sony rivals... I don't see them wanting to help Sony get
domination.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 9:34:07 PM

Delameko Stone wrote:
> mganai wrote:
>

>> HD-DVD over Blu-Ray? Don't do it Nintendo!
>

> But they're Sony rivals... I don't see them wanting to help Sony get
> domination.

Ignore that, I just did research...
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 4:03:42 AM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:06:42 GMT, Vitani <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote:

>Mantorok wrote:
>> "Paulo De Souza" <Paulo2002@blueyonder.co.ukSPAMMAPS> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Man what a revolution.. the same old games over and over...
>> >

>> Not being funny, but this system works, and I for one don't have a problem
>> with updated versions of games, particularly mario, zelda & metroid
>> games....they still rock through all the time they've been around, there are
>> still games out there that have failed to match the success and
>> sophistication of some of these games.
>>
>> Kev
>>

>I agree, so long as the games improve, I'll keep buying them. People
>don't moan when another season of a TV series comes out, so why games?
>It's all entertainment.

i dunno, the X-Files shouldve stopped long before it did :)
--

gamertag: chrisflynnuk
Live Line-up: RS3, RS3:BA, PGR2, Links04, SC:p T, Toca2, RSC2, MM3,

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:05:54 GMT, "mganai" <lecter414@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>"Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
>> mganai wrote:
>>>
>>> <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> HD-DVD over Blu-Ray? Don't do it Nintendo!
>>
>> Well, at least they're using a standard format, not their own (making it
>> cheaper for games developers)
>>

>The Cube discs were based off of DVD technology. It was mainly that they've
>had a different method of having their files read, and are spun backwards
>that set them apart from the standard DVD-ROM media. Only problem I can see
>coming from the Cube discs are the smaller capacity.

they aren't spun backwards at all. theyre *read* backwards, ie from
the outside in.
--

gamertag: chrisflynnuk
Live Line-up: RS3, RS3:BA, PGR2, Links04, SC:p T, Toca2, RSC2, MM3,
SWAT, MotoGP2, Burnout3, OutRun2(Demo), FSW
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:38:49 PM

Chris F wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:06:42 GMT, Vitani <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote:
>

>>Mantorok wrote:
>>
>>> "Paulo De Souza" <Paulo2002@blueyonder.co.ukSPAMMAPS> wrote in message

>>> Not being funny, but this system works, and I for one don't have a problem
>>>with updated versions of games, particularly mario, zelda & metroid
>>>games....they still rock through all the time they've been around, there are
>>>still games out there that have failed to match the success and
>>>sophistication of some of these games.
>>>
>>> Kev
>>>

>>I agree, so long as the games improve, I'll keep buying them. People
>>don't moan when another season of a TV series comes out, so why games?
>>It's all entertainment.
>

> i dunno, the X-Files shouldve stopped long before it did :)

lol
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:29:01 AM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:38:49 +0000, Vitani wrote:

> Chris F wrote:

>>>I agree, so long as the games improve, I'll keep buying them. People
>>>don't moan when another season of a TV series comes out, so why games?
>>>It's all entertainment.
>>

>> i dunno, the X-Files shouldve stopped long before it did :)
>
> lol

The should have also left Millennium end after the 2nd season.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 6:27:56 AM

"Chris F" <chris@asif.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:05:54 GMT, "mganai" <lecter414@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message

>>> Well, at least they're using a standard format, not their own (making it
>>> cheaper for games developers)
>>>

>>The Cube discs were based off of DVD technology. It was mainly that
>>they've
>>had a different method of having their files read, and are spun backwards
>>that set them apart from the standard DVD-ROM media. Only problem I can
>>see
>>coming from the Cube discs are the smaller capacity.
>
> they aren't spun backwards at all. theyre *read* backwards, ie from
> the outside in.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. * hits self *
!