How to switch monitors from hdmi to vga

callahan65

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Hello,
I am having trouble with switching monitors. I am currently using a hdmi monitor and I want to switch back to a vga monitor. when I do so the signal will not switch over. Oh I have a evga 730a motherboard with integrated graphics.

xpsng

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Are you making the switch while your computer is on? Cause if you do thats your problem right there.

Although HDMI can detect whether or not something is plugged in VGA cannot.
Turn off your pc unplug your display from the HDMI monitor, plug it in your VGA monitor and turn your pc back on.

callahan65

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Yeah I have tried that. I am almost to the point where I will reinstall windows and start fresh. Have you any other ideas, I dont think it is my motherboard it's had very little use.

xpsng

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
One last question just to be safe there is no other card connected (gfx card) for display is there?

Cause you mentioned connecting your monitor with HDMI and i saw some info on your mobo and there is only a DVI connection.

callahan65

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Hmm no I dont have a additional graphics card, I am looking at the back of my motherboard now and I have DVI, VGA, and HDMI. Again the motherboard is a EVGA nForce 730a. Oh something else in my finding is my current monitor. I bought it clearance without the drivers, and that is what has been driving me crazy. I looked it up it is a Acer H213H 21" Monitor I was going to download the drivers so I can display the proper resolution, and I came to find it is only for Windows Vista. I am running Windows XP Pro.