Sign in with
Your question

System build will this work?

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2011 1:40:36 AM

Hello,
was wondering what people thoughts are on my new system build and will it work with the new amd bulldozer coming out?

Cpu
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 6 Core Processor 3.3GHZ Socket AM3 Retail Box

Motherboard
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 AMD990FX ATX AM3+ DDR3 6PCI-E16 1PCI CrossFireX SLI SATA3 USB3.0

Ram

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Hard drive

Velociraptor 10000 rpm 5.5ms 16mb cache 150gig

video

zotac geforce gtx 570 fermi 732mhz 1280mb
3,8 ghz gdd 5

Case
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower Case EATX 5X5.25 4X3.5 Hotswappable 2X3.5INT

Power

OCZ B-Stock Refurb Elitexstream 1000W ATX12V 24PIN ATX SLI Ready Power Supply 120MM Fan Black

cd
ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black
LG CH12LS28 12X Blu-Ray Reader & Lightscribe DVD Writer Combo Drive

More about : system build work

July 11, 2011 1:47:10 AM

I think your power supply is a bit overkill for 1 GTX 570. Unless you plan on going SLI, I would suggest lowering the wattage down. (To 600W? I'm not sure how low you can go safely.)

I see only 1 hard drive, is 150 GB's enough for you?
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2011 3:54:06 AM

Yah the bulldozer looks like the *** and I am think more power for over clocking I just got my android phone so I am hoping to get some bump with my new blue tooth.

I am just scared that the new amd processor will have too many pins any word on how big they will be?

Why lower the watts will it effect my motherboard in any negativity having too much power. yes I do plan on running the sli in the future when I can afford another graphic card. Main reason I got this set up is cause of the new bulldozer, plus you have sli and cross fire ready with 4 ports can't beat that.

My computer I have now pretty sad it got one pci e x16 with a gts 8600 lol. Plan to use it for some overclocking action once I get my new computer.
m
l
July 11, 2011 3:55:36 AM

Yah I am just debating with the sata 3 vs the sata. I have been majorly out of the teach loops since 2007 so I got a lot of catching up to do.
m
l
July 11, 2011 5:23:07 AM

The motherboard is ridiculously expensive

the processor is not a good gaming processor

the RAM is low quality

The velociraptor hard drive is totally out classed by an SSD , and many top end conventional hard drives are actually faster in some tasks

m
l
July 11, 2011 10:37:26 AM

I would of went with Intel but there far to overprice compared to the amd plus with the new processor that are coming out it only a matter of time before I upgrade, by rights the bulldozer going to be 50 % more efficient then any Intel product. But you are right amd has had short falls over this last 4 years... Hard drive a cheap throw in till I can understand the new hard drive system. I am looking for a high quality hard drive at this point. ud7 are top of the line, little excess on the motherboard never hurts when a perfectly good processor coming out soon. As for the power did a little more looking in ditched that dude to the high return rates on the units.... I really want a good gaming unit that was over the top. But still pretty decent on price.

my biggest fear is the new processors wont fit my board, then in that case the price was not justified
I also upgrade my ram, note that I have a lot to catch up on yet, been out of the loop for 4 years.

I ended up changing the power block out for a corsair tx650
and my ram for 1x4g of xms ddr 3 1600 cl7-8-7-20
Would of got at least 8 gigs for texture sake, but I am more interested in getting my sli bridging combo up and running next check. really wanna see the fps difference. I am still use to the old 516 mb cards lol

Couldn't find voodoo card anywhere lol
m
l
July 11, 2011 10:38:49 AM

my biggest fear is the new processors wont fit my board, then in that case the price was not justified
m
l
July 11, 2011 10:50:30 AM

Kold51 said:
I would of went with Intel but there far to overprice compared to the amd plus with the new processor that are coming out it only a matter of time before I upgrade, by rights the bulldozer going to be 50 % more efficient then any Intel product. But you are right amd has had short falls over this last 4 years... Hard drive a cheap throw in till I can understand the new hard drive system. I am looking for a high quality hard drive at this point. ud7 are top of the line, little excess on the motherboard never hurts when a perfectly good processor coming out soon. As for the power did a little more looking in ditched that dude to the high return rates on the units.... I really want a good gaming unit that was over the top. But still pretty decent on price.

1) The only thing on this thread that's over priced is that build you posted.

2) Post some actual benchmarks of the BD or spare us the 50% dream. Nobody has ever posted benchmarks on that cpu seeing how they have yet to be released. So unless you work for AMD and/or have an inside source...well than it's only speculation.

3) AMD hasn't put anything out worth a crap in the last five years so don't count your chickens before they hatch.

4) For the money you have in that case, board, waste of a hard drive, and psu ...you could have built a SB build that would have performed like a race horse.

If you want a decent gaming build then please click the link down below and do a "copy & paste" of it on here with it filled out and we will help you put together a gaming build that will do the job. :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:09:59 AM

on 1800 how would u have built better?
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:16:09 AM

I wanted a tank, not a toss away computer.....
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:22:32 AM

Kold51 said:
on 1800 how would u have built better?

We won't know until you fill out that form in the link I posted. There's a reason for that form...it tells us your budget, screen resolution, when you plan on purchasing, what's to be included in said budget, what country your in, if you plan on o/c, dual vid cards, etc...

As far as tanks go...here's a few links to ponder. btw don't forget peeps are getting over clocks of up to 5.0+ghz on air cooling with these SB cpu's.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=288 <----- AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE vs Intel Core i5 2500K benchmarks

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=287 <----- AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE vs Intel Core i7 2600K benchmarks

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-990x-extrem... <----- $1,000 Intel Core i7-990X Extreme vs $330 Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge

*Sandy Bridge reviews down below

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1501/1/

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-2500k-and-core-i7...
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:41:40 AM

yah but still ghz isn't going to make a better computer it mostly about your gpu, the fact is I can bridge 4 video cards.... and when bulldozer comes out it going to eat the *** out of everything on the market..
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:43:27 AM

I want extreme graphics not overclocking my computer and likely burning down my house. If i wanted to over clock I would of bought a amd 64 and and ran that *** into the ground
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:56:15 AM

I do agree Intel have better power, I just think there all there crack up to be, for Little bit more power is it really worth it? amd and intel have been around for awhile now it not like there going under.... I am quite doubtful on that
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:57:10 AM

Kold51 said:
I want extreme graphics not overclocking my computer and likely burning down my house. If i wanted to over clock I would of bought a amd 64 and and ran that *** into the ground

So what exactly was your purpose when you started a thread in the New Builds Forum ?
m
l
July 11, 2011 12:18:59 PM

Honestly to see how many apple users there are on here, let face it I am running a duel core amd right now I use 80% of my cpu on a 2.8 ghz right now with low setting on star craft 2, with an 8600 I fail to see why I'd need huge CPU gains to run any video game on some what high performance level as an Intel.... I wanted to see what new parts there out what the best bang for my buck, seems like there more apple user are around now and days then common sense.

My real question is how much cpu is enough? and where do the gain really come from?

If I burn out an amd I don't feel bad, I'd never overclock a 1000 processor... little alone like overclocking it bad news and usually means void warranty and insurance. Cost of cpus is base more on share holders then the accumulate gains of them anymore.
m
l
July 11, 2011 6:54:56 PM

Ok lets all just get alone(intel & AMD users) and quick fighting on which is better than which, it's really whatever you perfer and the BD will fit the AM3+ MOBO so you should be fine with that.

I love AMD and i love Intel, its just what you want and what you can afford. I agree with no one
m
l
July 11, 2011 7:07:02 PM

they seem soo the same tho, the real difference is the benchmark score which I admit are quite impressive. The cooling on Intel is sooo freaken low make me wanna switch for the overclock power if you can really yield some good numbers. My issue is why spend the money when your only as fast as your slowest connection lol
m
l
July 11, 2011 7:07:52 PM

if I was to switch cpu, what would be on the same idea as my build? for intel wise?
m
l
July 11, 2011 7:37:45 PM

It just all depends on what you want, we dont know what the BD will do. It could be another flop or we could see beanchmarks thats just amazing.

Heres what the Intel build would look like:

CPU: I5 2500k - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MOBO: ASRock Extreme 4 P67 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With the MOBO there are alot of options like the newer Z68 boards with alot of features over P67 which are a little higher.

But you also got to remember that Intel releases new boards for the new CPU's so if you plan on upgrading 1-2 years from now you will likely have to buy a new MOBO and CPU, but with AMD you hardly ever have to change MOBO's out(it saves money in the long run) but you never can tell with AMD the BD might suck, but i will take my chance and wait for it.
m
l
July 11, 2011 9:03:59 PM

Kold51 said:

If you want to build AMD , and you want to be able to upgrade to bulldozer then buy a mb with a 990 series chipset .
The BD processor slots right in and all its power features are enabled.
Use a Phenom 955 for the time being . Over clock it . It will game better than an X6 anyway

m
l
July 11, 2011 9:10:58 PM

FILL OUT THE FORM GIVE SOME PEOPLE RESPECT!

and intel is better bang for the buck in every way. i3-2100 better then any amd chip out right now and thats the low end processor lol
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:00:55 PM

j3d1 said:
FILL OUT THE FORM GIVE SOME PEOPLE RESPECT!

and intel is better bang for the buck in every way. i3-2100 better then any amd chip out right now and thats the low end processor lol

You might try giving people respect too .

And the i3 didnt do well against the Phenom x4 in the Tomshardware System Builder Marathon where they built a real world system to a real world budget . To sumarise the 2.8 gig Phenom won everything except games where it lagged a little behind .

Anyone building with a Phenom 955 can OC too so its going to beat the i3 in gaming too.
Since the 955 is also cheaper its hard to call the i3 better bang for buck when it loses and cost more
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:05:30 PM

True that the thing is the cooling rates on intel are ridicules. If your exceptional at overclocking. It only be a matter of time before u could really do some damg with the intel series. I am just having a major issues justifying the cost for cpu, like really how much cpu is enough? Plus I don't really wanna burn my house down in the long run just to save a few bucks.... I'd love to order my computer if I knew it be around a bit and the games I plan on using use the actually amount of threads... Like if your playing mine craft all day my build is not for you it an over price paper weight.
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:09:44 PM

Mainly I wanna have bf 3 or 2012 no issues, with cypress which is one of the top preforms on the matters to be hailing ass... I just don't wanna over spend my cpu, and not end up with enough gpu. It like hiring a hooker and not being able to get it up lol talk about a kick in the champs.

Plus I don't understand a lot about the socketing systems for the intel nore how the north bridging and such work with upgrades to the processes themselves.

Not saying there the worst brand ever, just never a big fan of the Pentium brand to really follow up on to it. To justify the over haul prices. Not to mention the cooling system going to set you back another 300 on top of that at least for a low end one.
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:12:49 PM

Kold the latest Intel CPU's are lower power consumption and power use than equivalent AMD cpu's .
Its not like the old days when Intel cpu's ran so hot you had problems oc'ing them at all .

The difference is theyre made on a 32 nm process now and AMD have only started making 32 nm this year . The Phenom is 45 nm .
That will even out with bulldozer because it is also 32nm
m
l
July 11, 2011 11:23:07 PM

I am debating if I should jump my C.P.U up higher and my budget to 2ooog budget and switch sides. The cool computer is always the happy-er computer. I just like the 4 sli bridging factor. A video board like that will last a very long time.... Like right now I am running a amd64 duel processor with an 8600 gts anything beat this set up. It give me my first chance to really flash the hard drive and update it to start monkeying around with it. But in the mean time I am thinking I want a computer just in case I burn it out. Even with the computer I have not its not hard to pull a performance out of it compared to the i3 with it provided I clock right on this series
m
l
July 12, 2011 12:46:03 AM

Bulldozer is coming soon .

Buy a board with a 990 series chipset and you have full speed [16x /16x] crossfire and SLI .
The current intels 32 nm cpu's/ boards run at 8x/8x when you install two graphics cards
Thats not a huge performance hit for intel but it is an area where Bulldozer may shine .
We just dont know till there are some benchmarks

For a dual GPU set up have a look at
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7

All offer crossfire and SLI
The feature sets make intel boards look a bit sick .
But the potential cant be reached unless bulldozer is competitive . Thats a gamble
But its not an unreasonable gamble
m
l
July 12, 2011 2:47:31 AM

Yah I ended up caving I am changing my whole lay out, I have deside to go with Intel. As much as I dislike the company, I don't think amd will make the grade with the new boards........

New build looks like this

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)

Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW160G3K5 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive

PNY VCGGTX570XPB GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Ram unsure

Power going to be 1350 w

case is going to be
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower Case

so far the grand total looks like 2k lol
m
l
July 12, 2011 7:09:26 AM

your processor wont fit in that motherboard

you need a socket 1155 motherboard for a 2600k
preferably Z68 or P67
m
l
July 12, 2011 7:53:06 PM

your totally right I am looking at 3 boards right now right socket An I am wondering about video cards is there anyway to cut down there size, Mosst of them are running at 3 size access on the backs for vents, I realize u can ripe the fans off them providing the cooling good enoght. But what the point in having 4 pci.e if u can't fit the video cards in
m
l
July 12, 2011 8:00:47 PM

especially if there back to back high performance cards, Also how much cooling should I invest if I have to costume them?
m
l
!