Sign in with
Your question

Thinking of upgrading my rig.

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2011 2:02:20 AM

Hello there everybody!

I got a rig running here at home, and I'm thinking that I maybe should upgrade it. Mostly because I've been told that the cpu I have can't max out both my GFXs strength. I do have problems with running it now, but I suspect that my PSU might be faulty. The PSU is soon on its way in to the shop it came from for a main switch switch, and might be a replacement to something more of quality (It's a Norwegian brand).

So my specs are
MB: Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5
RAM: Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz CL8 (4x2GB)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@stock
GPUs: XFX Radeon HD5870 and a XFX Radeon HD5870 'XXX'
The PSU is a brand named MIST, but as stated it's only to find in Norway, actually it was only to find there. Apparently they pulled it from sale.

So I was wondering if this system actually is powerful enough to take advantage of the GPUs, or if I should upgrade to something more powerfull when it comes to the CPU.

In case I have to upgrade I was thinking of going for a i5 2500K together with a ASUS Sabretooth P67 MB, the RAM I can keep also (either 4 or 8GB)

Thanks in advance and hope someone can help me with this. ;) 

More about : thinking upgrading rig

July 11, 2011 2:41:35 AM

I see I forgot to mention that the PSU is 850W.

But someone told me that the 955 is simply too weak to manage 2 5870s in CF, so that's what I'm confused about. Since 955 is was the best choice for single 5870.
!