Intel core i5 2500k

cowboi123

Distinguished
May 8, 2008
Hello people :D

I just bought me self a 2500k core i5 processor....i usually use my pc for gaming (cod, bf..etc) i was just wondering...would the stock cpu cooler be sufficient for providing adequate cooling for gaming??

The stock cooler on the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K will work fine at stock speeds. If start to overclock it you are going to want to add a good 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) to deal with the increased heating issues.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

While the Intel stock HSF does work, I never use it - it never even comes out of the box.
It is on the bottom of the heap interms of performance. The push pin design is poor and is the number one reason that people have a problem with the initial installation.

The cooler the CPU is the happer it is. The CPU, when under load, will run 10 C higher than with a $30 Hyper 212+ It you use the stock HSF and run Prime 95 to check stability you will hit 65 -> 70 C within 15 minutes and that is at stock Freq. Normally you run prime95 for 4 -> 8 Hours to check stability.

As to OCing, as the old saying goes hitting 4.2->4.6 is so easy a caveman can do it. The caveman is smart enough to not use the Stock HSF for this.

Cespenar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Depending on your wallet contents you should consider one of the coolers that come complete.
That is a waterblock plus tubing plus radiator fan assembly.
They are very easy to install, and what the RetiredChief said .... it is probably easier to install than the stock heatsink.
I have had water cooling for seven years now and I'm still using the original waterblock for all the upgrades I have done.

cowboi123

Distinguished
May 8, 2008

lol...thanksm i'll probably go and get myself a 212+ and oc it.... thanks ppl! :D